Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wavebird for GC

Old 07-31-03, 12:47 PM

Wavebird for GC

Please let me know why this is awesome for Gamecube. My son got his new GC and I need a 2nd Controller. Is this only made by Nintendo or can I get a no-name brand.

Thanks

Mandy
Old 07-31-03, 12:52 PM
Retired

Only by Nintendo as far as I know.

It's awesome because there is no cord and it works 100% as well as the corded controller.

Only draw back is that it has no vibration.
Old 07-31-03, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Only by Nintendo as far as I know.

It's awesome because there is no cord and it works 100% as well as the corded controller.

Only draw back is that it has no vibration.
I bet your really lit down by that no vibration are you not josh I remember when this thing came out thay was hyping it as much as a game I find that funny as **** at the time.
Old 07-31-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's great when a manufactor raises the bar, it's about time 1 of them developed this and brought it to market.

The original WB's had a 900Mhz signal, then Nintendo signed a deal to get 2.4Ghz chips, does anyone know if these have made it to market yet? If so any difference in packaging?
Old 07-31-03, 01:27 PM

The batteries last a long time. I ended up replacing all my controllers with wavebirds.
Old 07-31-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't excited about Wavebird before its debut but now I won't use anything else unless I have to.

Best controller ever.
Old 07-31-03, 02:35 PM

Another vote for best controller ever. My GameCube is behind a row of DVDs and the controller works just fine.
Old 07-31-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
I bet your really lit down by that no vibration are you not josh I remember when this thing came out thay was hyping it as much as a game I find that funny as **** at the time.
I think you are speaking English, but I am still having problems understanding you...

In any case, the wavebird is great. Excellent responsiveness. It is the only controller I use for my cube. The benefit of no cords is great for me as I have moved my cube to a bedroom and placed it rather high up. Also, when my son plays it I don't have to worry about him pulling the cord loose or pulling the GC off the shelf, etc.

Lack of vibration has not caused me any issues. Apparently there are places in Eternal Darkness where vibration helps, but I have not cracked that game open yet.

They cost about $30 - $35 depending on sales, etc. If you pick it up at Best Buy you can use the $5 off coupon mentioned in the Video Game Forum FAQ thread.

It is an excellent purchase.

Last edited by sniper308; 07-31-03 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sniper308
I think you are speaking English, but I am still having problems understanding you...

In any case, the wavebird is great. Excellent responsiveness. It is the only controller I use for my cube. The benefit of no cords is great for me as I have moved my cube to a bedroom and placed it rather high up. Also, when my son plays it I don't have to worry about him pulling the cord loose or pulling the GC off the shelf, etc.

Lack of vibration has not caused me any issues. Apparently there are places in Eternal Darkness where vibration helps, but I have not cracked that game open yet.

They cost about $30 - $35 depending on sales, etc. If you pick it up at Best Buy you can use the $5 off coupon mentioned in the Video Game Forum FAQ thread.

It is an excellent purchase.
Do what now!? uhhhhhh I think my joke want over your head do a search for Rez and I'm sure you will get the joke if you find the right post. Also I do find it funny they was hyping a controller as much as a game good control pad or not it's still just a add-on if you will and they was hyping it like it was just as big as Zelda. I mean I never saw ad's on TV for the s-pad on xbox. I find it funny cause at the time it made me think geez N you got so few games coming out you got to hype a control pad!? I never said it was a bad pay or nothing I got no idea where you got that idea from man. Don't worry I'm like that Osborn guy once you read a few of my post you start to understand me better.

warning the upbove is what I think it's in no way true or fact it's what I think so don't nobody get mad or nothing.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-31-03 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Do what now!? uhhhhhh I think my joke want over your head do a search for Rez and I'm sure you will get the joke if you find the right post. Also I do find it funny they was hyping a controller as much as a game good control pad or not it's still just a add-on if you will and they was hyping it like it was just as big as Zelda. I mean I never saw ad's on TV for the s-pad on xbox. I find it funny cause at the time it made me think geez N you got so few games coming out you got to hype a control pad!? I never said it was a bad pay or nothing I got no idea where you got that idea from man. Don't worry I'm like that Osborn guy once you read a few of my post you start to understand me better.

warning the upbove is what I think it's in no way true or fact it's what I think so don't nobody get mad or nothing.
Well, you cannot search for a 3 letter term, so I searched on your userid and found a few things, but didn't feel like wading through so if you have a thread you want to link, I'll check it out.

I like the conclusion of this one though...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=280498

In any case, this whole last gen of consoles (as well as several previous ones I'm sure) has been a lot of hardware hype. Specs for the PS2 were thrown around like crazy in the beginning, the X-Box has constantly been hyped regarding hardware, so why wouldn't Nintendo press a first party hardware advantage?

By the way, the opinion is not the problem, I literally could not understand you.
Old 07-31-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Wavebird for GC

Originally posted by mandyfig
Is this only made by Nintendo or can I get a no-name brand.
It's only made by Nintendo and that means the quality is excellent (not because it's "by Nintendo" - because it's first party). Third party controllers are really cheap in price AND quality. You get what you pay for.

If you are just looking for a second controller for your young son and his friends, you might be better off just getting a cheapo generic brand. But if he is a somewhat serious gamer it is a great investment. I seriously couldn't live without mine. You get spoiled pretty quick.
Old 07-31-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The wavebird is a great wireless controller. Lacks the rumble of the original controller, and is a little more bulky (it has to hold 2 AA batteries) but it's wireless. Usually wireless controllers tend to cost a lot, consume a lot of batteries, and are generally less responsive, but this is not true for the wavebird. You just have to remember to switch it off when you're done...

Hmm... if they upgrade to 2.4 GHz, I don't really see the advantage. The distance is already incredible. And won't it interfere with 802.11b wireless networks and 2.4 GHz phones (I had to unplug my 2.4 phone when I got a wireless network because of intereference).
Old 07-31-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
Well, you cannot search for a 3 letter term....
Off-topic: Actually, you can. If the word is only 3 letters, put an * at the end and it will search for it.

Back on-topic: I love my Wavebird. It's the only controller I use for my cube. Batteries last a really long time and it works just like a regular cube controller.
Old 07-31-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ghym
Off-topic: Actually, you can. If the word is only 3 letters, put an * at the end and it will search for it.

Cool, didn't realize the wildcard would count toward the search criteria minimum.
Old 07-31-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

This link is for sniper308 also warning girl in underwear ahead.

http://www.gamegirladvance.com/archi...zvibrator.html

It's OK I'm not a retard I'm a spacial child that is what they told me in school. Also so you know I can write much better if I want too I'm not as dumb as I seem I just don't really take the time to go over my post or anything someone may think that is dumb but I don't find it important enough to do all that crap. I also leave in mistakes if I see them sometimes cause I find them damn funny and I hope maybe someone can laugh at my writing if they having a hard day or something.

In the end you got allot of tight ass people on here who want to act as if we're at a damn tea party I mean this is the net it should be fun and upbeat not all dead serious and stuff.
Old 07-31-03, 05:37 PM

9 out of 10 dentists say people will undertand/like you better if you try to be as literate as possible .......moving on....

I'll put in another vote for the wavebird. Was a skeptic, but gave in to its power . Free yourself from cords!
Old 07-31-03, 05:57 PM
Banned

I have 3 wavebirds, and they all work flawlessly. They have 16 different channels, so you can easily use 4 wavebirds, and not have any problems.

My indigo controller that came with the gamecube is still in the box. (I got the wavebird at the time of the controller.)