Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

For those of you with Gran Turismo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
For those of you with Gran Turismo.

I'm playing GT3: A-Spec and have a few questions.

I'm just getting into racing. I can go up to gear six (I use automatic) but whenever I get into a turn I crash... are you supposed to be able to handle curves at 6? Do you break at curves or ease up on the accelerator? I also notice some cars are more sensitive than others so I have to adjust how much I tilt the joystick.

That's my big concern, though, the curves.

Thanks
Old 07-30-03, 09:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to break a lot for the sharp curves, how much depends on your car, tires, etc. It's a very realistic game, you're not going to go powersliding through curves like in the more "arcadey" racers like the Ridge Racer games.

The key to winning is knowing the best line through the tracks, which includes knowing what angle to enter curves, when to brake, what speed to go through them, when to punch the gas when exiting them, etc.

It just takes a lot of practice. The license tests (as frustrating as they are) are a big help.
Old 07-30-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
So when a guy at work told me he never breaks in curves for Mario Kart and just knows how to take them he was kidding or does that apply there also?

I got fourth in the first race. The cars don't accelerate !!!
Old 07-30-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: For those of you with Gran Turismo.

Originally posted by GatorDeb

That's my big concern, though, the curves.

Seriously, though, have you tried to obtain licenses? It's a good way to find "the line" through most of the tracks and get a feel of how much brakes to apply. Hope this helps. It's been a while since I've popped this in!
Old 07-30-03, 09:27 PM
Retired

No, Mario Kart isn't a realistic racer, you can slid all over the place in that game.

Gran Turismo is meant to be as realistic as possible. They have their own race track and fleet of cars they use to do research for the games.

The cars don't accelarate because the cars you start with suck.

If you're playing the Arcade mode, you'll get better cars when you when (I guess, I haven't played the arcade mode since GT1).

In sim mode, you win money and upgrade the car and buy better cars (which you then have to upgrade). You have to know a little about cars to do well here, but I'm pretty much a novice and just try to make them as light as possible with as much horse power as possible.

Also, splurge for the softest tires if you're having problems in the curves, they'll give you more traction and let you take them a little faster.
Old 07-30-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Mario Kart aren't GT3.

You will need to slow down (braking) on hard curves. You will need to practice on steering round the corners or curves and learn to "feel" the car.

I bought PS2, mainly for GT3, but sold it later on. I had completed 98% and won nearly 98% of races.
Old 07-30-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
In sim mode, you win money and upgrade the car and buy better cars (which you then have to upgrade). You have to know a little about cars to do well here, but I'm pretty much a novice and just try to make them as light as possible with as much horse power as possible.
Or you can always buy a Gameshark, hehe.
Old 07-30-03, 09:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's a very realistic sim. A bit too much for me, although it's a pretty game. Project Gotham Racing might be funner for you, it's easier to control but not too arcadey.
Old 07-30-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gator Deb, the Gran Turismo series is the most realistic racing game there is on console systems (if you really want hard, try Gran Prix Legends on PC). As such, it has a hellacious learning curve, particularly if you have only played arcade-style racing games before.

There are two types of racing games. Simulation and arcade. The arcade experience is best typified by things like Mario Kart and San Fransisco Rush. Expect very unreal physics, shortcuts, jumps, things like that. In these games, the typical accepted mode of racing is simply full throttle. Keeping a proper racing line always helps, but it's not usually the most important thing.

In simulation, every attempt is made to make the racing experience as close to real life as possible. This means that you'll actually have to learn how to race. This takes a lot more skill and experience. On the upside, you'll find that other racing games become extremely easy to play.

If you want to be good at Gran Turismo, I highly recommend doing the license tests and reading the book. If you wish to get better than that, read anything you can about racing in real life, it will all be applicable to the Gran Turismo series.

There are a few things to keep in mind. One, try to be smooth. Jerking the car around will cause the car to lose traction. Two, try to concentrate on the proper racing line. If in doubt, late apexing is ALWAYS better than early apexing.

It's also better to be slow in and fast out than fast in and slow out, so don't be afraid to use the brakes.

Here's a few resources:
Physics of Racing
Proper Apexing
more on apexing
Old 07-30-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might want to try a four wheel drive car as well. They handle much better than the other ones.
Old 07-30-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edstein
You might want to try a four wheel drive car as well. They handle much better than the other ones.
I 2nd that to a degree. Each car has it's own handling characteristic (oversteer/understeer) but the 4WD ones can be tweaked to give you happy medium. I personally had an Audi S4 (in the game- I have an A4 in reality) with racing slicks and all the upgrades (including the 100K turbocharger) That thing kicked buttocks!
Old 07-31-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure that there is a AWD/4WD car available to you at the start of the game.

I do agree that the S4 when fully modified is a very nice ride. Not top of the class nice, but easy to drive and very responsive and communicative.
Old 07-31-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best thing about GT3 is that you can apply those skills in real life!
<small>if you're a professional driver on a closed track</small>

Old 07-31-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, applying those skills in real life on real roads will make you a safer driver. Early apexing is a very common beginner mistake, and is dangerous on the track and on the road. Being smooth will help you maintain control of the car in less than optimal situations, and all of these things you practice while racing will help you in emergency situations.

There's quite a bit that transfers from the track to everyday streets.
Old 07-31-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Braking is key!
Old 07-31-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This thread has increased my anticipation for GT4. I see you fools online baby! It's going to rock.
Old 07-31-03, 05:54 PM

Wow, all this talk of proper cornering got me hungry for some GT3, I'll probably pop it in when I get home.

Plus any of you guys watch initialD?
Old 07-31-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, you HAVE to brake appropriatley before hitting the apex of the turn. Doing so shifts some of the cars weight to the front wheels which keeps the tail end from going out from behind you. My suggestion is to start with a basic Front wheel drive car (Civic Del Sol for example) and learn that way. Driving a manual really helps as well, as you can balance braking/downshifting to slow down once you've actually entered a turn. Taking turns in 6th gear in an auto=instant crash.
I'd also advise you to use the second analog stick for gas/brake. It's easier to use than the analog buttons as there's more play in them so can vary your braking alot more. I remember when I had a Mad Catz wheel for the PSX and the original gran turismo. Now THAT made the game hard to play

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 07-31-03 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some good points covered. In reality you can heck out a variety of racing sites for tips on how to drive because almost everything that applies in real life is applicable in the game; (to an extent) that's what makes the game so good.

For those interested in real life racing racing I encourage you to check out www.scca.org . They have all kinds of racing you can do in a safe manner and the people are great. Personally I autocross. Fun stuff.