Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Finally bought an Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally bought an Xbox

I've been a die-hard Nintendo junkie for years now so it was tough for me to admit i really wanted an Xbox - but i did it and got one this weekend. I was clearing out my Dreamcast and all my old games and getting trade-in credit and couldn't find a single game i wanted for my Gamecube. Then i longingly looked over at some Xbox games i've been wanting for a while now. KOTOR was what broke me, although i can't pick it up for at least another two weeks. I was however able to get enough trade-in credit to get my Xbox (the one with Jet Grind Radio Future and Sega GT 2000 bundled in it) as well as a DOA3 for free.

Now my question is what do i need to pick up next? The Buffy game looks kind of fun and my wife wants it pretty badly (plus it is down to like $20 now) and I'm wanting to get Morrowind. I might rent the DOA Volleyball game and see if it would be worth picking up new.

*sigh* Now i have to decide if i want to move my Soul Calibur II pre-order from the Gamecube to the Xbox version.
Old 07-20-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait for the Game of the Year Edition of Morrowind - if you can. it will have the 2 expansion packs that was released.
Old 07-20-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by young
wait for the Game of the Year Edition of Morrowind - if you can. it will have the 2 expansion packs that was released.
They are coming out with another Morrowind on Xbox? The one that is out now for $20 has the first expansion on it doesn't it?

Hrm, yeah i'll definately wait if they are re-releasing it with the 2nd expansion - i want to be able to play as a werewolf

Now though, i have to try to find the DOA3 booster disc to get the extra costumes.... anyone know if it is still available anywhere anymore?
Old 07-20-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, Buffy is a great game.

The X-Box version of Soul Calibur II has Spawn as an exclusive character.

The DOA3 extra costumes are on the Exhibition 1 disc, and there is a full version of Capcom vs SNK (I think this is the fighting game title) minus the on-line play, with all fighters unlocked, on the Exhibition 2 disc. I think you can still get both Exhibition discs at BB.
Old 07-20-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ummm, Halo?
Old 07-20-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Ummm, Halo?
Yeah, I know we'll be in the minority here (), but Halo is kind of a good one to get

Seriously if your wife will play, the Co-Op is cool too.

Brute Force is okay single player (how I'm playing it), but I'd think coop on it would be pretty kickin'.

you don't exactly say what types of games you like, but these are some that I like

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
MechAssault

I hear that the EA Lord of the Rings game is pretty good too.
Old 07-20-03, 07:59 PM
Retired

I've been sooo tempted to get an X-box for KOTR. I just can't afford it. Hell I can't even play my PS2 now because I got pissed and chucked the controller and broke it and I can't spare the $20 for a replacement right now.
Old 07-20-03, 08:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by xmiyux
They are coming out with another Morrowind on Xbox? The one that is out now for $20 has the first expansion on it doesn't it?
No. The one out now has only the original game, which is quite short (only about 100 hours or so).
Old 07-20-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
And you say I'm a Hardcore gamer and you're a casual gamer? I've never thrown and broken a controller and I only own an Xbox, whereas you have both a PS2 and a Gamecube. Just get an Xbox - we all know that's why you're so bitterly against it... because you don't have one.
Old 07-20-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sniper308
Yeah, I know we'll be in the minority here (), but Halo is kind of a good one to get

Seriously if your wife will play, the Co-Op is cool too.

Brute Force is okay single player (how I'm playing it), but I'd think coop on it would be pretty kickin'.

you don't exactly say what types of games you like, but these are some that I like

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
MechAssault

I hear that the EA Lord of the Rings game is pretty good too.
Is MechAssault decent without Xbox Live? I thought the game looked like a lot of fun but everyone who says they enjoyed rave about the online play and unfortunately i'm stuck on dial-up still.

Halo will probably be purchased eventually for the single player stuff. My wife will play it with me but she isn't much competition on fps One question about it though, does it have a deathmatch mode where you can play against all bots? That is one thing i enjoyed about Timesplitters 2.
Old 07-20-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
No. The one out now has only the original game, which is quite short (only about 100 hours or so).
Heh, no doubt. I played the original game a little on the PC (around 30-40 hours probably) but my PC really chugged and got choppy frequently while playing it so i never got any of the expansions. Playing it on a console and not having to upgrade or patch it sounds like heaven - especially if i can get it with the newest expansion.
Old 07-20-03, 08:18 PM

No bots in Halo, which was one of the few complaints about it when it came out.
Old 07-20-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, as grouch said. also, i don't know exactly, but doesn't morrowind have some sort of bug? i don't know if the platinum edition rectified that or not but i hope GoTY edition does.

if you're into racing, MotoGP2
also, i like Tetris Worlds Online (i think there is a non-online edition) but it may now be included in the new Xbox Live Kits (mine had whacked and motogp).
Old 07-20-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I broke down today to and got an Xbox just for KOTOR. It was that and the Dolby Digital that sold me.
Old 07-20-03, 08:47 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

KOTOR is definitely turning out to be the 2nd Killer App for the xbox. In every gaming forum I'm reading there are lots of people buying the xbox because of KOTOR. I knew it would be a system seller but I'm not sure if it will impact hardware sales as much as the GCs Metroid did and most certainly not nearly as much as GTA for the PS2.

It would be interesting to see the xbox hardware sales figures at the end of this month/quarter.

I say, even if it's the only game you ever get (although that would be kind of silly), it's worth it.
Old 07-20-03, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by young
yeah, as grouch said. also, i don't know exactly, but doesn't morrowind have some sort of bug? i don't know if the platinum edition rectified that or not but i hope GoTY edition does.
To be as kind as possible, Morrowind shipped with a ton of bugs. But it's still great and playable, most are annoyances rather than game-breakers. The GOTY edition incorporates the latest patches which fix a lot of the bugs as well.
Old 07-20-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Finally bought an Xbox

I've been a die-hard Nintendo junkie for years now so it was tough for me to admit i really wanted an Xbox - but i did it and got one this weekend. I was clearing out my Dreamcast and all my old games and getting trade-in credit and couldn't find a single game i wanted for my Gamecube. Then i longingly looked over at some Xbox games i've been wanting for a while now. KOTOR was what broke me, although i can't pick it up for at least another two weeks. I was however able to get enough trade-in credit to get my Xbox (the one with Jet Grind Radio Future and Sega GT 2000 bundled in it) as well as a DOA3 for free.

Now my question is what do i need to pick up next? The Buffy game looks kind of fun and my wife wants it pretty badly (plus it is down to like $20 now) and I'm wanting to get Morrowind. I might rent the DOA Volleyball game and see if it would be worth picking up new.

*sigh* Now i have to decide if i want to move my Soul Calibur II pre-order from the Gamecube to the Xbox version.
I am in the exact same boat. I finally bought an Xbox today & it was ONLY because of KOTOR. But I don't know what other game to buy if I buy one at all. Soul Calibur stays on Gamecube though for Link.
Old 07-20-03, 10:31 PM

Is it really worth it, KOTOR? I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I don't want to support the box. It sucks because I am also a Star Wars FREAK ie; multiple tattoos and mega-toys. Do I really need to own this console? Will it ever get ported? I hate Microsoft. I'll get one if I have to though.
Old 07-20-03, 10:34 PM
Mod Emeritus

Interesting. Sounds like KOTOR is a system seller.
Old 07-20-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jediwicz
Is it really worth it, KOTOR? I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I don't want to support the box. It sucks because I am also a Star Wars FREAK ie; multiple tattoos and mega-toys. Do I really need to own this console? Will it ever get ported? I hate Microsoft. I'll get one if I have to though.
LOL!

anyway, i guess you could wait for the PC version later.
Old 07-20-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is MechAssault decent without Xbox Live? I thought the game looked like a lot of fun but everyone who says they enjoyed rave about the online play and unfortunately i'm stuck on dial-up still.

Halo will probably be purchased eventually for the single player stuff. My wife will play it with me but she isn't much competition on fps One question about it though, does it have a deathmatch mode where you can play against all bots? That is one thing i enjoyed about Timesplitters 2.
Well, I was thinking more of the coop mode in Halo rather than the deathmatch or capture the flag, etc since you don't want to pi$$ her off too bad You can clear the levels together.

As stated earlier no bots on Halo, but single player is great.

I have to admit I have not played MechAssault a ton, since I have minimal gaming time, but its pretty cool and seeing how you have someone to play against, should keep you busy.

I was thinking about picking up Morrowind the other day ... glad I didn't... 100 hours and you guys think it's too short? Think it will be Max Payne instead for me
Old 07-20-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Finally bought an Xbox

I might rent the DOA Volleyball game and see if it would be worth picking up new.
Try Outlaw Volleyball instead. Or better, rent both. I have owned both and Outlaw Volleyball is a much better game once you get the controls down. Although I do miss how pretty DOAX was.

Interesting to see so many new faces finally joining the darkside.

Once Josh Hinkle joins us...we will be unstoppable!
"With our combined strength..."

And yes...KOTOR is that good. I hate RPGs but picked this up for the Star Wars angle. When I am not playing KOTOR, all I am thinking about is KOTOR (and about boobies...those are always on my mind). Sorry for the sophomore humor.
Old 07-21-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Mech Assault single player is a lot of fun with a great campaign, though the last coupla levels are really tough even on the easiest difficulty. You also don't have the full selection of mechs that are available in multiplayer -- disappointing.

Other co-op games -- Serious Sam, Halo, RTCW -- racing and fighting, PSO, etc.
Old 07-21-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Mech Assault single player is a lot of fun with a great campaign, though the last coupla levels are really tough even on the easiest difficulty. You also don't have the full selection of mechs that are available in multiplayer -- disappointing.

Other co-op games -- Serious Sam, Halo, RTCW -- racing and fighting, PSO, etc.
Have you played Serious Sam? I'm thinking of picking it up today.
Old 07-21-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got my X-box as well. I have only had time to check out Halo, and it is pretty good. The graphics are a little outdated (jagged edges) but it is actually a pretty old game now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.