Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Reviews Thread (Xbox/PC).

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-14-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Figured I'd start one

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/428/428645p1.html

(it isn't Insiders)

Ratings: Description:
out of 10 click here for ratings guide

10.0 Presentation
There's more real Star Warsedness in this game than in the last two movies combined. Great menu system has the best use of triggers we've seen in a while.

9.0 Graphics
A hiccup or two here or there, but for the most part, this is one of the prettiest Star Wars games on any system in any genre.

10.0 Sound
The sound effects are given but the voice-acting was so amazing, we think the standard has just been raised.

9.0 Gameplay
It moves like an action game, plays like nothing you've played before and makes role--playing exciting again.

10.0 Lasting Appeal
This will probably be the deepest single player experience available on Xbox when all is said and done. Wait there's going to be downloadable content too?

9.5 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

-Rich
Old 07-14-03, 10:29 PM

Won't see any PC reviews for another few months.
Old 07-14-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah.. I know - it's a poorly planned out thread.
Old 07-14-03, 11:36 PM

Read another one earlier but I can't find the link. They gave it 6 out of 6, and said it replaced Halo as their favorite XBox game.

I know this belongs in a separate thread, but NEXT week (starting Sunday July 20) Circuit City will be offering a free $10 card with the purchase of KOTOR. As I am sure many people (including myself) have no intention of waiting until Sunday to buy it, so I'm assuming that saving your receipt and showing it to them next week should be good enough to cash in on the GC. Really dumb to start a promo not coinciding with the game's release...
Old 07-15-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When does the PC version come out? I tried looking around but surprisingly I found nothing.
Old 07-15-03, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
When does the PC version come out? I tried looking around but surprisingly I found nothing.
I don't think anybody knows yet. I would guess this Fall/Winter.
Old 07-15-03, 08:27 AM

The date I've heard bandied about for the PC version is October.

With the great reviews this has been getting, I'm tempted to spring for the Xbox version. Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-15-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So whats the exact release date? I read July 15th, but it shows later in some places now.
Old 07-15-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I preordered this one yesterday and my local EB said that it had been pushed to Thursday the 17th instead of the 16th.
Old 07-15-03, 09:03 AM

I just pre-ordered from EB their having free 1 day shipping - my total came to 49.99 - couldn't pass it up - they didn't even charge me tax
Old 07-15-03, 10:30 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Groucho
With the great reviews this has been getting, I'm tempted to spring for the Xbox version. Decisions, decisions.
Well, if it helps sway you at all, as I understand it the game has been optimized for the X-box and then ported over to the PC. So it'll look better, sound better and run better on the Box.

That and really - you want to wait 6 months to play this game? I think not.
Old 07-15-03, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Well, if it helps sway you at all, as I understand it the game has been optimized for the X-box and then ported over to the PC. So it'll look better, sound better and run better on the Box.
Not exactly. The Xbox and PC versions have been developed alongside one another from the beginning. The engine is a variant of Aurora, which was originally a PC engine (Neverwinter Nights).

I seriously doubt it'll look better on the Xbox if only because of resolution limitations. It may run better, impossible to say at this point.

According to Bioware, the only difference between the two will be interface, so there will be no editor for the PC version (). It doesn't sound like they'll be upgrading the textures and polygon count either.

The PC version can be patched. Does anybody know if they will include this functionality via Xbox Live for the the Xbox version?
That and really - you want to wait 6 months to play this game? I think not.
There are three months between July and October.

I still haven't made up my mind. If that CC deal is accurate, I might take advantage. If I end up having to pay full price, I'll probably wait it out.
Old 07-15-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone gonna play it with the srategy guide?
Old 07-15-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The way it looks for the x-box I think it will require a substantial upgrade for my p3 933. I think I'll just spend $50 on the x-box version and save the upgrade money. Except for this one game there is really nothing out there for PC that requires me to buy it. I'm playing Medieval Total War and perfectly happy with that one game.
Old 07-15-03, 12:45 PM
Suspended

I still haven't made up my mind. If that CC deal is accurate, I might take advantage. If I end up having to pay full price, I'll probably wait it out.
Bah! Quit countering my ill-thought out points with logic and facts. [JEDI MIND TRICK] You want to buy this game[/JEDI MIND TRICK]

Last edited by El-Kabong; 07-15-03 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know if this will be in store at Costco? I know it is online, but wondering if Costco still sells new releases at their B&M ?? I live in San Diego. Please let us know.
Old 07-15-03, 03:59 PM

The PC version can be patched. Does anybody know if they will include this functionality via Xbox Live for the the Xbox version?
God, I hope not. That's the big pull to consoles with me...not having to upgrade my computer and not being punished for buying a game when it first comes out. There may be some buggy console games, but nowhere near the unfinished stuff that comes out for the PC. If we start patching console games, we'll start getting plenty more unfinished stuff crammed down our throats.

Oh...I'm looking forward to this game too.
Old 07-15-03, 05:01 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

They said there WILL be DOWNLOAD CONTENT for Xbox Live. Probabally extra items or characters that you can be. NOT multiplayer they confirmed that much.
Old 07-15-03, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by BoBoish2
God, I hope not. That's the big pull to consoles with me...not having to upgrade my computer and not being punished for buying a game when it first comes out. There may be some buggy console games, but nowhere near the unfinished stuff that comes out for the PC. If we start patching console games, we'll start getting plenty more unfinished stuff crammed down our throats.
Well, I agree with what you're saying, but IF something goes wrong and a bug does slip through, it would be nice to at least be able to fix it.

Of course, from the reviews it sounds like everything is pretty tight, and since this is a single player game there aren't going to be a lot of the balance issues normally associated with games of this nature.
Old 07-15-03, 05:08 PM

Think Wal-Mart will match the BB or CC price of $39.99, even though it's an instat rebate or some crap like that?
Old 07-15-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another review up:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/sta...tor/index.html

9.1 out of 10.0 - the biggest singular complaint has to do with the games visuals.
Old 07-15-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been waiting a long friggin' time for this game, and am glad to see that all of the delays have "paid off." I'll be picking it up ASAP.