Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Will there be a Shenmue 3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will there be a Shenmue 3?

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about Sega continuing the Shenmue series? I haven't heard anything in a long time.
Old 07-02-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've heard that there won't be.
Old 07-02-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I've heard that there won't be.
But I heard the story is already done, they just have to decide whether there is a viable market for it before they start the coding. The third game is supposed to end the story, although I thought there was supposed to be 16 chapters, at least that's what was said when it came out on the DreamCast.
Old 07-02-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope not. That's a terrible game.
Old 07-02-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

16 chapters, yes. 16 games, no. Each game covers several chapters.

I thought I heard recently that the 3rd game was going to come out after all. I could be wrong. I don't really care. I watched my younger brother play through most of Shenmue 2 but the game crashed on him after a very long, boring, and difficult part so he just gave up. He's now disgusted with the series.
Old 07-02-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Great idea for a game, but it just never worked in reality. I was so bored with the first one I never finished it. Loved the terrible dubbing from the first game though.

"I'm looking for Sailors."
Old 07-02-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hope this happens. The first one was my favorite game of all time (as you might notice from my name). I bought the Perfect guide after I beat the game and the game became even more fun. It told the story of every person and where they were at certain times matched their character. Probably one of the deepest games ever. Best gaming experience ive ever had.
Old 07-02-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They were banking on the X-Box version of Shenmue 2 but it bombed big time.

I posted a thread about this a few months back. Basically in the interview Yu Suzuki said that the story is done, but they have not even started on the game and Sega has no plans to. Shenmue and NiGHTS are 2 franchises that have been cut.

Its the ultimate love/hate game. I really liked the chinese influenced theme and music, hopefully they'll finish the story in a another CG movie or something somewhere down the road.
Old 07-03-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope they do b/c I enjoyed the story and it is more immersive than almost every other RPG I have ever played (despite the fact that it is not a RPG at all).

But it does get tedious at various points of the game, and it can be too realistic to be a game (thank god part 2 allows you to skip to a certain time instead of just waiting and waiting and waiting....)
Old 07-03-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i know a lot of people hated it... but for some reason, i loved it! i'm actually considering "the last hero for hire" (?) which i hear is somewhat similar.

i'm hoping they remake the 1st for the xbox and give it out for free w/ the 3rd.

--
this site says an announcement will be made this month.
http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/index.shtml

Last edited by young; 07-03-03 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-03-03, 03:50 PM

Thanks Young!
Old 07-03-03, 04:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There were several problems with the marketing of Shenmue 2 for the Xbox, IMHO.

First of all they should have put right on the box that the game included classics like Outrun and Afterburner 2 for free. This is a great bonus, and I might have bought the game a lot earlier than I did if I knew about it.

Secondly, they should have ported the first Shenmue over to Xbox and included that game for free, instead of that DVD. It's not like they were going to hurt sales of the original Dreamcast game.

Third, they should have given the game a massive makeover to take advantage of the Xbox's capabilities. It looks good, but it's still just a straight port of the Dreamcast version.
Old 07-05-03, 01:04 PM

I think I read awhile ago in Sega World Weekly (online mag devoted to all things Sega) that the third Shenmue will be a movie (think they got this from an interview)
Old 07-05-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

btw, the game i was thinking about is called Rent a Hero. it says it comes out in mid august.

http://www.gamers.com/game/95885/previews
Old 07-05-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read, I think in EGM or OXM, that it's a direct port of the Sega Dreamcast version and that didn't get good reviews. We'll see if the X-Box version gets anything new.
Old 07-05-03, 03:45 PM

I am thinking the announcement by AM2 is something along the lines of Virtua Fighter Quest, unveiling or something. Yu Suzuki talked about a year ago but we have not seen one single screen shot yet. And its due out before Christmas in Japan! Could be wrong though.
Old 07-05-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, the more i read about Rent a Hero, the more i question why it's even coming out.

as for shenmue 3 (which i probably mispronounce - SHEN-mueh), i hope it's not a movie. actually, i was even considering getting a dreamcast just to play the first one as a game rather than watching the movie of it. i want to wait until the 3rd is announced/released before i do that though.
Old 07-06-03, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Shenmue games are aboslutely a love it or hate it gaming experience. The first Shenmue is one of my favorite games ever and i really loved the second as well. I hope the third is released as id like to see how everything is concluded.
Old 07-07-03, 12:52 PM

I forget where I heard it, but is there going to be a time when Ryo goes to America?
Old 07-07-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Thrillhouse
I forget where I heard it, but is there going to be a time when Ryo goes to America?
I hope so. Then we can hear Tom bust out with "Hey Ryo, how 'bout a dog?"
Old 07-14-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, perhaps good news... but shenmuedojo says that shenmue 3 has indeed been confirmed. i say perhaps b/c it's still pretty nebulous.

"Shenmue 3 Confirmed and Shenmue.com's new design

The news every Shenmue fan has been waiting for has finally arrived, as staff member Landc predicted Shenmue.com has redesigned and now news is coming in that the next installment has been confirmed. This news comes first from Ammar Altai who started the Shenmue 3 petition. No specifics have been given out yet but Sega will reveal more details in September."

http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/
http://www.gamerfeed.com/index.php?story=3810

--
and to think, i almost bought a dreamcast to play shenmue... now i'm going to shoot for the moon and hope they release shenmue for the xbox!

Last edited by young; 07-14-03 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-18-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, it looks like it is definite that Shenmue 3 will be released. SEGA has confirmed that it is in the works. cool part, that i hope for, is that they will release Shenmue 1 also for the xbox. but that is conjecture.

Representatives at Sega-AM2 have just confirmed that news about Shenmue: Special Edition is to include Shenmue I, II and III. AM2 has decided that Shenmue III will be known as Shenmue III: Special Edition. The game has been decided to be developed in such as fashion due to the franchise being on the DC and Xbox. No pricing point has been confirmed or if it will be on seperate mediums (CDs). AM2 has edited the information on the homepage and it's English translation is below as follows:

"Approximately one-year and ten months since Shenmue II was released and we are gradually getting the development of Shenmue III moving! But, currently it has not been decided for any console. We would like to make a special edition of the game, which will include the rest of the storyline. If possible, we would like to have it start from Chapter 1 and develop it as Shenmue III: Special Edition. A Special Edition of long-awaited Shenmue III. (Shenmue LOVE ?)"
Old 07-19-03, 01:21 AM

no way! thats cool. I thought for sure when they said they aren't making another one that they weren't making one, I wonder what made them turn around. I hope this time people will actually buy the game .

Why are they including Shenmue II in with it though if that one already is on the X-Box? Is it going to be on a different platform?
Old 07-19-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if history means anything Sega/AM2 will really have to consider the next-generation console capabilities to get this one to sell.

That means:

- No more direct ports. Time to go back and update every texture, up the polygon counts, remove the slowdown, etc., in Shenmue I and II.

- Bring back online capability. The first two Shenmue games had some nice extras with their online features. Trade toys with other XBL members, download stories, etc.

- Revamp the Shenmue gameplay for the third title. The second one definitely started to show some age - although it was still innovative, it's slow pace really alienated the casual adventure gamer.

Saying all of this, I'll bet $20 they'll NEVER bring "Shenmue LOVE" out here in the US.

Jeremy
Old 07-19-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shenmue III going ROCK "

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.