Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Remake of Metal Gear Solid offically announced for the Gamecube.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-01-03, 11:49 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Announcement
http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=4305

The official announcement from Nintendo and Konami.

METAL GEAR SOLID® EXPLODES ONTO NINTENDO GAMECUBE

Konami and Nintendo Collaborate to Deliver Blockbuster Action Title to Nintendo GameCube

REDWOOD CITY, CA. - May 1, 2003 - Continuing to broaden the Nintendo GameCubeTM library, Konami and Nintendo today announced Konami will publish a new Metal Gear® adventure exclusive for Nintendo GameCube. Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM combines the thrilling story of the original Metal Gear Solid® game with the jaw-dropping graphics and unparalleled gameplay found in Metal Gear Solid® 2: Sons of LibertyTM. The game is scheduled to ship later this year in North America and Europe, followed by the Japanese launch in early 2004.

Bringing heart-pounding espionage action home to gamers, Metal Gear Solid® is one of the most highly-regarded action series ever created. Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM for Nintendo GameCube will combine stunning next generation graphics and gameplay, an epic storyline and unmatched content designed specifically for mature gamers.

Under the guidance of Konami's Hideo Kojima and Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's exclusive second-party developer, Silicon Knights, is working with Konami to develop the game. Silicon Knights previously developed last year's award-winning Eternal Darkness: Sanity's RequiemTM for Nintendo GameCube.

"I am tremendously excited to introduce a unique Metal Gear Solid® experience to a new audience of gamers as well as collaborate with my mentor in game design, Mr. Miyamoto, on Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM for Nintendo GameCube," says Hideo Kojima, vice president, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, Inc.

"Mr. Kojima and I have spoken about this project for some time, and I'm excited our ideas have matched so perfectly," adds Shigeru Miyamoto, senior managing director of Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd. "It's this shared passion for game creation that has allowed us to collaborate to bring a special Metal Gear® project exclusively for Nintendo GameCube."

Metal Gear Solid The Twin SnakesTM will be featured at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) on May 14 - 16 in the South Hall at Konami Booth 900 and in the West Hall at Nintendo Booth 2816.

Reported by: Daniel Bloodworth
preview
http://planetgamecube.com/previews.c...profile&id=249

Metal Gear finally comes to GameCube. Read all about it in our full preview.

Last updated: 05/01/2003

Metal Gear has been always proven to be a hot property. Essentially selling the PS2 before it was even released, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty had captured the hype and the imagination of people years before it was even playable. On the original PlayStation, Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action was considered a powerful killer app and was a hit with both critics and gamers. Combining compelling gameplay, an interesting plot coupled with professional voice-acting, and cinematic cutscenes, the game was an instant hit among PSX owners. Many Nintendo fans wished for the same action, but they were never offered a comparable experience on the N64.

Fast forward to the year 2003, and things have suddenly changed. A few months ago Mr. Miyamoto let it slip that there was indeed a Metal Gear Solid game in development for GameCube. Since then everyone has been wondering if this title is an entirely new game, a port of MGS2: SoL, or a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid.

The answer will probably come as a surprise. Nintendo's biggest coup from Konami stars none other than the world-renowned Solid Snake in a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid. Not only will the graphics be redone, but it has been rumoured that the game will utilize GBA connectivity for things such as Snake's radar and Codec. But here's the real kicker: the title is in development not in KCEJ, and not even at NCL. The team of people who have been assigned this difficult task is Silicon Knights, the creators of Eternal Darkness. Being that Silicon Knights is a second-party, it’s clear that Nintendo is putting up considerable cooperation and investment to bring Metal Gear Solid to the GameCube.

Graphically, the game is supposed to mirror the jump in quality that the Resident Evil remake saw, and knowing the sound aficionados at SK, the MGS will probably be redone in Dolby Pro Logic II. The game is still going to be published by Konami, but the title will be featured prominently at Nintendo's press conference and booth at E3. It's understandable how much Nintendo will be pushing this title, as it marks the first time since the NES that the Metal Gear series has graced a Nintendo platform.

Metal Gear Solid plays differently than most action titles. Controlling the world-famous spy Solid Snake, players are encouraged to sneak past the enemies instead of fighting. Snake has many moves and tools at his disposal, most significantly a radar that helps track enemy movement. By using this information along with his natural skills, Snake must infiltrate a supposed nuclear waste facility in effort to stop a band of terrorists from launching a nuclear weapon. By using weapons and items he finds on dead guards, or in the back of empty trucks, Snake will gather a considerable arsenal to combat the great number of opposing enemy soldiers.

Gameplay revolves around Snake avoiding soldiers by ensuring he isn't seen, heard, or caught on camera. Enemies have blind spots that can be exploited, and they can also be distracted by knocking on walls. Alternatively, you can hide behind walls and then pounce on the enemies, snapping their necks. This level of violence netted a Mature rating for the PSX original, and we can probably expect no less for the remake.

The story is a major part of the Metal Gear Solid games. A reluctant Solid Snake has been forced into helping his old commander, Jim Campbell, in turning back a terrorist threat on a nuclear waste disposal plant. Members of FOX-HOUND, his former squad, have rebelled and are now threatening to launch a nuclear missile with the giant Metal Gear mech. Since Snake is the only one who has taken out the mechanical beast multiple times, Jim Campbell and the Pentagon essentially blackmail the old secret service agent into complying. The story is told through frequent radio conversations and real-time cut-scenes.

We’re still gathering intelligence on this Metal Gear Solid remake. Expect hands-on impressions and plenty of commentary from Silicon Knights president Denis Dyack at E3.

Zosha Arushan, Staff Writer

I'm impressed. I figured the MGS GC game would just be a port of MGS2 Substance. I loved the original and can't wait for this remake. I'm sure Silcon Knights will do a great job with it. And the preview mentios that the graphics should see as much of an improvement as the RE remake.
Old 05-01-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Remake of Metal Gear Solid offically announced for the Gamecube.

unparalleled gameplay found in Metal Gear Solid® 2: Sons of LibertyTM
Old 05-01-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool beans. I played MGS2 and thought it was fun. I wanted to play the original MGS, but was adverse to doing so because of the dated graphics. Now I'll be able to play MGS with today's graphics.
Old 05-01-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very nice. I can't wait to see how this game looks and what extra content it will contain!

Old 05-01-03, 12:06 PM

hmmmm I definitely say after seeing what Capcom could do with Resident Evil on the Cube, Konami should be able to do a really good job here with this remake...would be nice to remake it for the other systems as well but oh well
Old 05-01-03, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Psyko Gamer
hmmmm I definitely say after seeing what Capcom could do with Resident Evil on the Cube, Konami should be able to do a really good job here with this remake...would be nice to remake it for the other systems as well but oh well
Hugh? Konami isn't doing the remake. It’s Silicon Knights the makers of Eternal Darkness.
Old 05-01-03, 12:35 PM
Banned

So wait. Is this Metal Gear Solid 3? or is this just another spin off of the MGS2 series?
Old 05-01-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a remake of MGS1.. the good one..
Damn good news though..
Old 05-01-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Remake of Metal Gear Solid offically announced for the Gamecube.

Originally posted in the announcement
unparalleled gameplay found in Metal Gear Solid® 2: Sons of LibertyTM
Old 05-01-03, 01:35 PM

Finally, a reason for me to get a gamecube. I'm so glad I havent played through MGS again eventhough the temptation has been there.
Old 05-01-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds awesome! MGS1 is still my all time favorite stealth based game to date. And being developed by Silicon Knights even, thats news to me! Can't wait to see more of this game!
Old 05-01-03, 01:48 PM
Banned

Blah, a remake. Lame. Why can't they make a new game? MGS1 was great. Like 5 years ago.
Old 05-01-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
Why does everyone hate MGS2? I liked it alot, it was great. Very short, IMO, but great overall.
Old 05-01-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What a waste of SK talent. The game has already been made. SK should be working on more original stuff.
Old 05-01-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Blah, a remake. Lame. Why can't they make a new game? MGS1 was great. Like 5 years ago.
Agreed.

Splinter Cell blows MGS' gameplay out of the water, IMO. I doubt that they update anything other than the graphics and alter the boss battles slightly.

It's not like MGS was some cult game that no one was able to play.
Old 05-01-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Why does everyone hate MGS2? I liked it alot, it was great. Very short, IMO, but great overall.
No, no, no... that part where you become that Raiden character isn't the end of the game. You really have to play as Raiden from that point on. I know you just stopped playing and blocked that part out in your mind, but it's true. Maybe try some hypnotherapy.

Anyway - I don't really understand the appeal for the Metal Gear series. I played the last 2 games (not including Substance) and while I think the gameplay is cool, the entire cast and backdrop is pulled from some archive of movie cliches. Very little originality in terms of story. I guess the gameplay is enough to make the game popular, but not as popular as it is.
Old 05-01-03, 03:31 PM

yes!!!! i'm so happy, now i can really justify returning the xbox bundle for a gcn at christmas, i love MGS and MGS2
Old 05-01-03, 03:36 PM

Damn thats was a shock, I thought it was just be a remake of MGS2 yet again
Old 05-01-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm all over this one.
As for MGS 2 - looooooong cinematics, but great gameplay. Much better than Splinter Cell.
Old 05-01-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Splinter cell had so many more gameplay options, it was quite a change from the stiff structure of MGS2. Still love em both.

Blah. The people here are right; this is a waste of time and top talent (Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto, and SK all in one room? i'm about to pass out...). They should have been making a MGS exclusive for the GCN. Either that or re-do the first 2 games (Metal Gear 1 and 2) in 3D so we can enjoy the stories from those games.

I'm rather surprised that the NES Metal Gear games weren't released with Substance. It would have made a more enticing package.
Old 05-01-03, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
I'm all over this one.
As for MGS 2 - looooooong cinematics, but great gameplay. Much better than Splinter Cell.
Yes, but the cinematics were horrible, too. I can't stand that much awful plot for a few minutes of good game.
Old 05-01-03, 05:37 PM
Retired

I'm actually glad this is a remake of MGS rather than a new game.

MGS 2 was a pretty big let down and it's hard to tell how the next game will turn out.

At least we know this game will kick ass. It's been 5 years or so since I last played MGS so it will be pretty much new to me anyway.
Old 05-01-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to say this whole "remakes" thing is getting old. It's a way for developers to make a quick buck off of a game that's been out a while and update the graphics and tweak the gameplay a bit. Granted most of the old games were classics to begin with, but this is a lame trend that is going through the movie industry too. Do we really need a "Fall Guy" movie or a "River Raid" videogame on PS2? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll look great, but the VG industry is way too young to be remaking all these "old" hits.
Old 05-01-03, 06:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was concerned about the big name games on the GC, and how it seems like a lot of them are sequels. They're not even bothering for the sequel this time. Originality, people!
Old 05-01-03, 06:10 PM
Retired

While I do get tired of the same old same old, originality in games doesn't always do it for me.

I mean a lot of the new games that get touted as innovative (GTA series, The Sims, etc.) just suck IMO.

I guess that's why my interest in gaming has waned some this generation. I'm beginning to tire of playing the same games repackaged in sequels and copy cats, and most of the new types of games haven't caught my interest as a lot of them rely on open ended gameplay which just bores me to death.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.