Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So... remind me again why we pay for video games?

Old 04-29-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So... remind me again why we pay for video games?

This isn't a thread to condone piracy- I own the products I discuss

Ok, so I've been bored lately and picked up a few games, here are my 'wonderful experience' with them although my playtime is very short.

Game 1 - Shadowbane :
Well, I played this around 3 weeks before I stopped. It wasn't too too bad I guess, but The game has nothing to it, the crashes are very frequent and they keep having server problems.
Total cost: 40$ US

Game 2 - Command and Conquer Generals
I installed this game today and changed the settings and fired it up, first mission, crash. I fire it up again, try the mission, crash. I decide to patch it so I get the latest patches and start again. To my pleasant surprise, I get through the first mission. Mission 2 starts, crash. I restart and play the mission for a few minutes, seems like it's working, but no, crash again, I stop for tonight.
Total cost: 40$ (I paid 9$ thanks to 150% price match and a 50% discount)

Game 3 - Rainbow 6 - Ravenshield
I install this sucker and start playing the training missions. I go to the kitchen a minute and hear bing, come back to see it crash. I log again, try a mission, crash, try again, crash, try again, crash, try again, crash. Ok, I'm pissed to I patch and try again, works longer, but pc crashes. I start it over and try the same mission, I get a ways in, crash again. I stop for the night.
Total cost : 45$ (I paid 6$ on this one, yay pricematch!)

So anyways, my conclusions : Why do I buy computer games again? I figure I would be better off pirating them until they are out a year or two and then buy them at a discount price when many patches fix the problems.

So, do I pick my games badly, or are all games released these days so buggy and hardly work?

As for anyone who will ask for my low low prices, it was a pricematch (plus 50% of the difference they offer) at a canadian store when another store had a half price sale on the game meaning I paid 28.75$ Cdn with taxes for 2 games that were priced 60$ and 70$ Cdn plus taxes. Sim City 4 was the same, but they were out (crud!)
Old 04-29-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that's definitly one of the downside of PC games. There's really no way to try them before you buy unless you download a demo or get a demo off a magazine disc. Even that has it's draw backs. I don't have broadband so downloading a demo would take a very long time. And most of the PC magazines that have demo's might not contain the game you want to try. That's why I predominantly play console games. You can easily rent them and this way you are only out $5.00 if a game is lousy.

The crashing is a whole seperate issue. Again, this is where a console is a little more convenient. No need to worry about have the new DirectX, a big enough video card, fast enough processor or enough ram. Just pop in the disc and you're good to go.
Old 04-29-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess it depends on your operating system, as well. Games used to be bugbears to get working on WinME/98/95, but since I've switched to XP, it's been smooth sailing. Just make sure to keep your video AND sound card drivers updated.

Raven Shield, for example, has played flawlessly.
Old 04-29-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I would suggest learning more about your system. Whats your specs and can you handle the said games? could be drivers other then that or issues with ram. I know if I'm playing a four player generals game and everyone is building up a large army it has a chance to crash,thats just the nature of it.

as for the demo/try outs of it.. uh, I would say a demo downloaded for free off file planet would be a lot better then renting a game for five bucks.. then again I have cable so I'm not held back by speed. comparing the two is like saying "I don't have a blockbuster near me, so I can't rent".

Both sides have the up's and downs. either way one isn't immunied to problems. every get a bad disc on a console system? I have.

You paid 9 bucks for a game and you really are that bent out of shape about an error. I say you count your blessings you got it that cheap. Considering all the games seem to "crash" I think it might be a problem with not the game, but your machine.
Old 04-29-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I definitely wait to buy PC games (at least 6 months after release), not only do I get them cheaply, chances are there are multiple patches for all the bugs fix and what not.
Old 04-29-03, 08:53 PM

Those problems are almost definitely client side, sounds like your hardware is bugging out.
Old 04-29-03, 09:23 PM

This is why I buy more console games than PC games....
Old 04-29-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

console games crash too (albeit not as frequently)... w/ the added problem of not being able to patch the game.

but i'm w/ lastblade. i wait b/c of dropping prices and patches. i also wait b/c i like to read reviews and find out if the game is worth the money. (i did get warcraft 3 pretty soon after it came out though...)
Old 04-29-03, 10:59 PM

I have both Ravenshield and Generals. Since launch day, neither have ever crashed.
Old 04-30-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Rainbow Six...

Someone explain to me this whole Rainbow Six online deal? I've been playign for about 2 weeks on GameSpy Arcade. The average game is 20 seconds and I get shot in the back after about 5 seconds. The whole experience is extrememly frustrating.

This is another reason why I prefer console games. I'm finding the whole online experience overated.
Old 04-30-03, 12:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Speaking of Rainbow Six...

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Someone explain to me this whole Rainbow Six online deal? I've been playign for about 2 weeks on GameSpy Arcade. The average game is 20 seconds and I get shot in the back after about 5 seconds. The whole experience is extrememly frustrating.

This is another reason why I prefer console games. I'm finding the whole online experience overated.
Well, if you got capped in SOCOM after 5 seconds, you probably wouldn't be so happy with that, either.

Take some time to get familiar with the PC control scheme. After a while, you'll hit on one that works for you, and you can map every other FPS you play to your control scheme. You might also try playing a game with a more forgiving damage model than "one-shot-kill"... maybe check out Unreal Tournament 2K3? There's a multiplayer demo for that one available.

If you're just getting started with online PC FPS gaming, be prepared to get wasted by people who have been playing FPSes for years. The upside to that is that not everyone's that good, and that you will get better if you keep at it. Sometimes it pays to switch servers when you're getting your butt handed to you, and find some less stiff competition.
Old 04-30-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Speaking of Rainbow Six...

Originally posted by Static Cling
Well, if you got capped in SOCOM after 5 seconds, you probably wouldn't be so happy with that, either.

Take some time to get familiar with the PC control scheme. After a while, you'll hit on one that works for you, and you can map every other FPS you play to your control scheme. You might also try playing a game with a more forgiving damage model than "one-shot-kill"... maybe check out Unreal Tournament 2K3? There's a multiplayer demo for that one available.
I'm not a big FPS fan so I play Rainbow Six in 3rd person mode.
Which is another reason I don't play many PC games.
Old 04-30-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I first got my own PC, about '96, I was into a number games and played a great deal. Then once I got my Playstation I slowly got away from PC gaming.

There was a thread a bit ago about the lack of variety in PC games. Many gamers came out in protest but I'll have to agree even if it means some harsh words are said about me below. FPS, turn based strategy games and other popular styles litter the shelves. There are probably about 2 games a year I want on my PC but I don't want to worry about upgrades and problems metioned in this thread. It's a waste for me to upgrade my system for 2 games a year. The price of upgading would almost equal the cost of the games.

Console games are the only type I buy now. I dropped my newest computer down in specs to save money. I passed on DVD-ROM, 5.1 Surround Speakers and all the other things that I used to have. I can sit in front of my Wega much longer than I can in front of this computer screen. Plus I'd rather play multiplayer with my buddies here instead of logging on and playing online. I do enjoy XBOX Live but given the choice I'd rather have my friends here with me.

I need to focus my cash flow in my main areas of interest and since I have so many hobbies one had to be thinned. I wish it wasn't my PC but my PS2, GC and XBOX will do just fine for now.
Old 04-30-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what are your computer specs?

I do not remember the last time I had a game crash on me. I think it might be hardware related especially since you are 0 for 3 on your recent games.
Old 04-30-03, 07:31 AM

well, no, SB has that reported with everyone, not just me (voicechat was constant 'I crashed, back in soon').

Ravenshield crashes with constant GPF's and Generals you can't even see. The crashing might be related to using onboard video, but that shouldn't be since it's a GeForce chipset. I think I can control the Ravenshield one if I use a bat file to play instead of the .exe (it's a reported fix), but Generals I don't know why it
crashes.

And people say it might be hardware. There are a million different possible configuration of hardware out there, if they can't get their product working on it, you can't expect it to be the customers fault.

important part of hardware :
AMD 1800+
128 integrated GeForce 4 MX
512 Mb DDR400 ram (128 is shared)
Direct x9
All the drivers are under a month old.
Old 04-30-03, 07:35 AM

Actually, now that I think of it, America's Army which always worked now crashed when I try to find a server to play on... might be the hardware, but I wouldn't really know what to check. Maybe test the ram or something?
Old 04-30-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for me, the consoles are just easier to start and just play... instead of booting up the computer, etc, shutting it down.

but, yesterday, i finally installed heroes of might and magic iii that i found on the shelf (bought it off the bargain bin a while ago but never played it) and i sort of rediscovered pc gaming.
Old 04-30-03, 09:57 AM
Banned

Feneant
Ill buy your C+C Generals off you if you dont want it anymore
(and the CD Key is good)
Old 04-30-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I were you, I'd check to make sure all the fans in your system are working properly.

You may be experiencing overheating issues.
Old 04-30-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well the fans could be an issue if the actual system just turned off. if it was just the game then it's something to do with your options since it doesn't sound like it's the games themselves.
Old 04-30-03, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by young
console games crash too (albeit not as frequently)... w/ the added problem of not being able to patch the game.
Not anymore! You forget about the almighty Xbox.
Old 04-30-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Armando
Not anymore! You forget about the almighty Xbox.
i thought morrowind on the xbox was a problem? did they ever fix that? also, you need xbox live, right?

the other thing about pc games is that they often make expansion packs (morrowind for example).
Old 04-30-03, 04:19 PM

i thought morrowind on the xbox was a problem? did they ever fix that?
I'm not sure I personally don't have that game and it did come out before live.

also, you need xbox live, right?
Yes and no. Most if not all games that can be patched support live but I have also head that the patches will be available thru the Official Xbox Magazine a couple of months after the live release.

the other thing about pc games is that they often make expansion packs (morrowind for example).
Actually I have heard rumors that Morrowind Gold is coming out that include all of the expansion packs for the PC. Haven't followed the rumors though, cause the game did not interest me.
Old 04-30-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jawn
This is why I buy more console games than PC games....
Same here. The only PC games I like playing are sims (like Baseball Mogul) or RTSs...and I know my computer can handle those games.