DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   IGN's Top 100 Games of All Time (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/289222-igns-top-100-games-all-time.html)

Jeremy517 05-02-03 01:26 PM

Contra would be Top 10 for me probably.

mytzplyx 05-02-03 02:26 PM

was it just me or was arcade contra 10 times harder than NES contra? I could have sworn it took me a bit of money to advance at all in the arcade, but then again, I went to a sketchy arcade where all the difficulty settings were turned up.

sraan 05-02-03 04:58 PM

Originally posted by DrRingDing
Where will Tetris fall? (pun and subsequent groans intended) will it be the GameBoy Tetris or the N64 Tetris? my vote is evenly split on this one. probably gameboy by an edge, for me.

edited to ask: will Zelda: Ocarina of Time rank higher than the original NES Zelda? (i have no doubt that both will be on the list..)

which Castlevania is going to show up?

-di doctor-

A lot of people prefer the unauthorized Tengen version of Tetris. Anyway, I don't think they are being system specific. They will probably just say "Tetris".

I would think, yes, Ocarina will rank higher. It was just as revolutionary as the first, and won major awardage.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night would top out, I guess. Though it is a Super Metroid clone. Incidentally EGM did a list just like this last year and Super Metroid was #1.

DrRingDing 05-02-03 05:51 PM

Originally posted by sraan
A lot of people prefer the unauthorized Tengen version of Tetris. Anyway, I don't think they are being system specific. They will probably just say "Tetris".
no, they are definitely being system specific. you should check out the link on the first page. it will also give you the reasons why they chose the games they have/did.
-di doctor-

shizawn 05-02-03 06:48 PM

2 of my favorite 3 games (Star Control 2 and Ultima VII: The Black Gate) in that section of the list. Figured they'd be ranked a little higher, but oh well.

ryuryu2949 05-02-03 11:40 PM

Street Fighter 2 (arcade) and Double Dragon (Arcade) should be top 10, maybe even top 5... there never has been lines as long for an arcade game then either of those two.

sraan 05-03-03 07:42 AM

no, they are definitely being system specific. you should check out the link on the first page. it will also give you the reasons why they chose the games they have/did.
-di doctor-

Yep, my bad. "When you assume, you make an..."

Galanthas 05-03-03 04:42 PM

#097 Phantasy Star 2

#085 Final Fantasy 10

bleh FF10 is no where near the quality PS2 was. I've had FF10 since it was released and I still can't finish it because I keep getting bored with the cutscenes and story. FF10 really shouldn't even be in the top 100.

Symphony of the Night better be in the top 10 as well. ;)

Hopefully Lunar 1 and/or 2 will be in the top 25 as well. I haven't really enjoyed playing an RPG since those two on the PS1. Sometimes simplicity in design and story is better than the wierd or overly complex battle systems of todays rpg's.

Would be nice if the game Alundra was in the top 100 but it probably won't be. Was a great 2d zelda type game for ps1 with hard arse puzzles.

sararekuforever 05-04-03 03:04 PM

These lists are just messed up.

Shining Force 2 and Phantasy Star 2 are some of the best RPG's ever. Final Fantasy 10 is probably the prettiest RPG ever, and it's fun too.

Something tells me this list is very Nintendo biased...watch Zelda get number 1 or 2...

Josh H 05-04-03 04:19 PM

A lot of people thing Nintendo makes the best games. It's not bias, just an opinion.

IMO, pretty much every game in the Zelda, Mario and Metroid series (spinoffs aside) are better than ANY other games by ANY other developers.

Ginwen 05-04-03 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Galanthas
[BWould be nice if the game Alundra was in the top 100 but it probably won't be. Was a great 2d zelda type game for ps1 with hard arse puzzles. [/B]
It would be better still if Landstalker was somewhere on the list.

I'm not so much looking at the order, since my order would be very different. Overall, they have some pretty good games on there.

CreatureX 05-04-03 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
A lot of people thing Nintendo makes the best games. It's not bias, just an opinion.

IMO, pretty much every game in the Zelda, Mario and Metroid series (spinoffs aside) are better than ANY other games by ANY other developers.

:up:

In EGM's recent list, Super Metroid (SNES) was voted the best game of all time. I remember back when Next-Generation magazine was still around, they voted Super Mario 64 (N64) as the best game of all time. Currently on Gamerankings.com (which collects the reviews from all the current industry magazines and websites), Zelda Ocarina of Time is ranked at number one.

So yes, I also expect to see a few Nintendo games in the top 5 of IGN's list as well! :D

Josh H 05-04-03 11:19 PM

Yeah, that EGM list was the best I've seen, as far as matching my own list anyway.

Groucho 05-04-03 11:28 PM

Well, there's a HUGE problem with the EGM list, in that it's limited to console games only, whereas the IGN list includes PC.

tbickle 05-05-03 02:17 AM

The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly(the one with Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry in their X2 get-up's) has a 100 greatest videogames of all time list that doesn't seem to be half bad. They also interviewed a few stars on what their favorite videogames are(Julia Roberts favorite is...Halo?!) I don't want to list the full 100, but heres the top twenty:

1-Zelda:Link to the Past
2-Doom
3-Tetris
4-GTA III
5-Madden 2003
6-Half-Life
7-The Sims
8-Super Mario 64
9-Starcraft/Warcraft
10-Street Fighter II
11-Goldeneye
12-Final Fantasy VII
13-Gran Turismo
14-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
15-Civilization II
16-Halo
17-Tomb Raider(96)
18-Soul Calibur
19-Ms. Pac-Man
20-Super Metroid

PixyJunket 05-05-03 08:04 AM

Originally posted by CreatureX
In EGM's recent list, Super Metroid (SNES) was voted the best game of all time.
And rightfully so!! :drool: :drool:

chess 05-05-03 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

i agree wholeheartedly.

in fact, if there were any justice, nintendo would have at least 5 of the top 10...but they'll probably pick one or two marios and one or two zeldas and one metroid...the only question is which ones?

How could the following games NOT be in the top 20?

Super Mario Bros
SMB 2
SMB 3
Mario World
Mario 64

Zelda
Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker

Metroid
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime

for the record, i wouldn't even consider myself a nintendo fanboy. i never owned an NES, bought a sega before buying a SNES, bought a PS before buying an N64, and bought a PS2 before buying a GC. Nintendo simply designs the best games on the planet...period.

acmeee 05-05-03 12:31 PM

#050 - Archon
#049 - Track & Field
#048 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
#047 - SimCity 2000
#046 - Conker's Bad Fur Day
#045 - Alone in the Dark
#044 - DOOM
#043 - Final Fantasy III
#042 - NBA Jam
#041 - Battlefield 1942

I thought Doom might be a little higher. NBA Jam is rightfully in the top 50.

Josh H 05-05-03 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Well, there's a HUGE problem with the EGM list, in that it's limited to console games only, whereas the IGN list includes PC.
I prefer lists that are either console only or PC only myself. I hardly play PC games at all, so I'm more interested in just seeing best console games lists.

mmconhea 05-05-03 01:31 PM

where will Tetris fall? (pun and subsequent groans intended) will it be the GameBoy Tetris or the N64 Tetris? my vote is evenly split on this one. probably gameboy by an edge, for me.
-di doctor-

The SNES had the Tetris/Dr. Mario combo game, which if ignored by IGN, would demonstrate how dumb this list is.

Josh H 05-05-03 01:35 PM

I have the SNES Tetris/Dr. Mario combo and I like the gameboy version better.

The version on the combo seems different. Mainly the game gets real fast a lot quicker.

PixyJunket 05-05-03 01:37 PM

Tetris works best on the Gameboy, no contest. It's the idea portable game.

Kazuma05 05-05-03 01:57 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for red alert, one of my favorite strategy games

PixyJunket 05-05-03 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Kazuma05
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for red alert, one of my favorite strategy games
Yup.. one of the few PC games that I got seriously into. I still play Red Alert 2 from time to time..

shizawn 05-05-03 04:32 PM

I had so much fun playing Alone in the Dark. I remember when we got a demo of the game when I worked at Egghead Software. We had a crowd of people around the computer, and all of them were amazed.

It's still probably the scariest game I've played. Great great game.