DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   IGN's Top 100 Games of All Time (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/289222-igns-top-100-games-all-time.html)

joshd2012 04-29-03 11:48 AM

IGN's Top 100 Games of All Time

The title says it all.

http://top100.ign.com/

10 games a day for 10 days.

Monday, April 28 - #’s 091-100
Tuesday, April 29 - #’s 081-090
Wenesday, April 30 - #’s 071-080
Thursday, May 1 - #’s 061-070
Friday, May 2 - #’s 051-060
Monday, May 5 - #’s 041-050
Tuesday, May 6 - #’s 031-040
Wednesday, May 7 - #’s 021-030
Thursday, May 8 - #’s 011-020
Friday, May 9 - #’s 001- 010

Roan 04-29-03 12:37 PM

Didn't gamespot do one of these lists a while back?

PixyJunket 04-29-03 12:42 PM

These lists are fun.. but they are nothing near Top 100 of all time as they are usually 85% or above recent games. I'd be happily surprised to see the likes of Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Super Mario 3, Final Fantasy 3, Dragon Warrior 4 or other early 90s games in there.

I promise, if GTA3 or FF7 make the #1 spot, I will cry. :)

CreatureX 04-29-03 01:01 PM

100 - Pitfall (Atari 2600)
99 - Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PC)
98 - Master of Orion (PC)
97 - Phantasy Star II (Genesis/GBA)
96 - Golden Axe (Arcade)
95 - Adventure (Atari 2600)
94 - Wolfenstein 3-D (PC)
93 - SimCity (various)
92 - Aces of the Pacific (PC)
91 - F-Zero (SNES)

jarsim 04-29-03 01:07 PM

Originally posted by pixyboi
These lists are fun.. but they are nothing near Top 100 of all time as they are usually 85% or above recent games. I'd be happily surprised to see the likes of Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Super Mario 3, Final Fantasy 3, Dragon Warrior 4 or other early 90s games in there.

I promise, if GTA3 or FF7 make the #1 spot, I will cry. :)

:hscratch:
Hmm, shouldn't you at least look at the list before making assumptions? So far, 9 out of the first 10 range from 1978 to 1992, the other one being 1994. Judging by this it will be a very diverse list.

PixyJunket 04-29-03 01:17 PM

Originally posted by jarsim
:hscratch:
Hmm, shouldn't you at least look at the list before making assumptions? So far, 9 out of the first 10 range from 1978 to 1992, the other one being 1994. Judging by this it will be a very diverse list.

Well I can't visit IGN at work.. so I just assumed.. :D

Nice to see the list so far!! I am HELLA surprised to see 2600 games on there!! :up: :up:

Jeremy517 04-29-03 02:12 PM

I would have put Adventure in the top 25 probably. Just one man's opinion though...

ClarkKentKY 04-29-03 02:14 PM

IGN's TOP 100 ADVERTISERS AND SPONSORS OF ALL TIME~!

#100: The Real Cancun
#99: P.S.A. about Drugs
#98: Axe House Party

:crap:

Trigger 04-29-03 02:17 PM

Counter-Strike only made it to #83?? The game was basically free and people are STILL playing it.

Maryang Palad 04-29-03 02:35 PM

#090 - Sonic the Hedgehog
#089 - Virtua Tennis
#088 - Warcraft II
#087 - Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi
#086 - Tomb Raider
#085 - Final Fantasy X
#084 - Kid Icarus
#083 - Half-Life: Counter-Strike
#082 - Battlezone
#081 - Discs of Tron

jrutz 04-29-03 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Counter-Strike only made it to #83?? The game was basically free and people are STILL playing it.
Yeah but I think they are looking for games that are revolutionary, that changed the face of gaming. I don't think Counter Strike introduced anything revolutionary, it's just a really well-made game. I think as far as modern-day revolutionary online games are concerned, I would name Ultima Online and Everquest because they were successful in creating a living, breathing, fully-realized graphical online gaming world. I would also name either Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament, because they were the first to revolutionize the FPS genre by making them with the sole intent of online multiplayer gaming, not just an afterthought to extend gameplay.

Jeremy

PixyJunket 04-29-03 02:41 PM

Ooooh yeah!! Kid Icarus beat Final Fantasy X.. :hump:

neiname 04-29-03 02:46 PM

Phantasy Star II

"Years before the personal tragedy found inside Final Fantasy VII, Sega took a chance and surprised everyone with the death of a major player 1/3 the way through its Phantasy Star sequel. Accompanying that surprise with a balanced experience point system, tough-as-nails bosses, and one of the biggest and most difficult RPG quests that we've ever seen, it's no wonder that the first $90 cart still ranks among the best in the business. "

Actually PSII was not $90 when it came out (more like $60 or $70), the original Phantasy Star was $90 for the Sega Master System. The most expesive Genesis game ever was a little title called, Sword of Vermilion. BTW, the major player that dies is where I get my username. Fantastic game.

jrutz 04-29-03 03:15 PM

Originally posted by neiname
Phantasy Star II

"Years before the personal tragedy found inside Final Fantasy VII, Sega took a chance and surprised everyone with the death of a major player 1/3 the way through its Phantasy Star sequel. Accompanying that surprise with a balanced experience point system, tough-as-nails bosses, and one of the biggest and most difficult RPG quests that we've ever seen, it's no wonder that the first $90 cart still ranks among the best in the business. "

Actually PSII was not $90 when it came out (more like $60 or $70), the original Phantasy Star was $90 for the Sega Master System. The most expesive Genesis game ever was a little title called, Sword of Vermilion. BTW, the major player that dies is where I get my username. Fantastic game.

Sword of Vermilion was probably the first adventure game created by Yu Suzuki, who was up until then responsible for shooters and driving games.

Me and my brothers got Sword of Vermilion for Christmas one year, because we loved the C64 RPGs like Ultima and Bard's Tale so much we wanted one for the Genesis. Plus, with that price tag you couldn't go wrong, right?

I was quickly intimidated by that thick user manual, and never got back into it. Years later, we traded it in for - get this - a 32X!. I think I got $10 for it. BTW, I still have my 32X...

Jeremy

fujishig 04-29-03 03:50 PM

Not to go even further off topic, but I don't think Sword of Vermillion was THAT expensive. Now Phantasy Star IV was really pricey, and I think cost more that SOV. Because although I loved the PS series, I couldn't afford PSIV.

neiname 04-29-03 03:57 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
Not to go even further off topic, but I don't think Sword of Vermillion was THAT expensive. Now Phantasy Star IV was really pricey, and I think cost more that SOV. Because although I loved the PS series, I couldn't afford PSIV.
I can assure you that SOV was in the $80 and above range (I have a memory for these things) I am not sure how much PSIV was, does anyone remember?

What I do remember was seeing PS in Macy's for $80 or something like that and wondering why the cart cost as much as the system that it ran on. Also back then, $80 was all the money in the world.

CreatureX 04-29-03 04:20 PM

Another IGN mistake on their Kid Icarus listing:

...Kid Icarus packs an awesome style, tight design and is still a lot of fun to pick up and play today. Now, if only Nintendo would finally get around to releasing that sequel...
Nintendo did release a Kid Icarus sequel for Gameboy. The game was called 'Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters".

jrutz 04-29-03 07:40 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
Gotta agree with neiname on this one, Sword of Vermillian was around $80.

Jeremy

mwestep 04-29-03 07:53 PM

Wow, insiders can now disable ads. It seems worth it now to actually pay for it since i go there every few days, and those ads are annoying as anything. The EGM subscription seems pretty sweet too....

I think I might actually join......

Jackskeleton 04-29-03 08:31 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
Yeah but I think they are looking for games that are revolutionary, that changed the face of gaming. I don't think Counter Strike introduced anything revolutionary, it's just a really well-made game. I think as far as modern-day revolutionary online games are concerned, I would name Ultima Online and Everquest because they were successful in creating a living, breathing, fully-realized graphical online gaming world. I would also name either Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament, because they were the first to revolutionize the FPS genre by making them with the sole intent of online multiplayer gaming, not just an afterthought to extend gameplay.

Jeremy

thing is.. it was a really well made game that was made by the fans. It showed the power of game modification and the Online community. it's still one of the most played games online and it's running off a old system with graphics that are still pretty decent for todays standards. Not to mention the addicting factor of it all.

jrutz 04-30-03 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
thing is.. it was a really well made game that was made by the fans. It showed the power of game modification and the Online community. it's still one of the most played games online and it's running off a old system with graphics that are still pretty decent for todays standards. Not to mention the addicting factor of it all.
Agree with you 100% with your comments. It probably changed not just the way mods are created, but also the way they are treated by the industry. Mods are their own viable game development industry, and more and more publishers are recognizing the efforts of these game developers.

Jeremy

mmconhea 04-30-03 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
That bugged me too. Is this a top 100 best games list or a top 100 games that revolutionized gaming list? Either way, Counter Strike did revolutionize the Mod market, and gave hope for amature modders to become pro game makers. Not only does CS maintain its popularity, but it continues to receive support from it's developers, continuing it's improvement. More importantly, this game is fun- it's support from the gaming community shows that. How many people are still playing the other games on that list?

For IGN to ignore that just shows again that they are just a bunch of silly kids running a website.

FalconH10 04-30-03 10:50 AM

Not sure why you paid so much for SOV. I got it at my local game store for $59 the second week it was out. Anyway, fun little list never to be taken too seriously but fun to read none the less.

CreatureX 04-30-03 12:09 PM

I would have to disagree about 'Counter Strike' being the first mod to "revolutionize" PC gaming. Do you not remember the 'CTF' and 'Team Fortress' mods for Quake? The creators of those mods went on the become pro game makers, and the effect of those mods are still felt in today's games.

kegman 04-30-03 12:39 PM

When will we see a remake of GOLDEN AXE - Even if it side scrolled it would be cool. I think I would prefer if it did.