Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

2004: The Return of PC Gaming Glory

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been a console gamer my whole life, but I find myself getting into computer gaming a little more each day. Granted, I'm probably considered a very casual PC gamer, but I agree with Trig's post that upgrading your PC gaming rig from time to time can be a little fun. Maybe I feel that way because it's new to me and I haven't done it in a while, but I guess that's just the way I feel after being a console gamer for so long.

My PS2 still gets most of my playing time, but I find myself firing up the PC more often than before to get my fix of Half-Life (yes, I'm a late adopter), NFS Underground, and Max Payne 2. I even play The Sims or Roller Coaster Tycoon to break up the monotony from time to time.

While I'm still primarily a console gamer, I've been looking at the future release titles coming out for PC and they look very promising. For me, personally, it's really nice being a part of both worlds.
Old 10-02-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I just popped in Chaser to play a few levels and this thread came up when I did a search for the game... Figured since we're nearing the end of 2004 this might be a worthy dig-up. Anyway - with 2004 almost to a close, so far my predictions about this being a good year for PC gaming haven't quite been met. We've had Doom 3 and Sims 2 come out and they certainly caused a surge in sales, but I haven't seen it really have much effect on store shelf space or magazine thickness yet. In fact, it seems like consoles are coming on stronger than ever with impressive lists of games and whatnot.

Anyone have access to sales data or anything that could be a sort of indicator as to whether or not PC gaming is making a comeback? Perhaps people are waiting for Half-Life 2. I know Sims 2 has been huge - many of my clients are calling me asking why Sims 2 won't play on their old PCs. Maybe it's just business as usual. Maybe it's partly due to the fact that alot of games that were supposed to come out have been delayed.

Anyhow, interested in hearing comments about things now that we're well into 04.