Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The future of 2D games?

Old 04-25-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The future of 2D games?

I saw some of the pics of Castlevania on another thread and noticed how a few people were disappointed it wasn't 2D.

This got me thinking; Is there a future for 2D gaming?

My first experience with 3D gaming was back in 1991-92 I believe. That's when I got an SNES. I saw Pilotwings ( crude by today's standards but a fun game) and I was blown away. "Whoa look at that!" I said. About two years later StarFox came and introduced the gaming industry to polygonal redering. And that just about changed everything.

Alot of people still have the nostalgia for 2D games but I'm starting to think that within this generation I doubt we will see a huge 2D hit especially with current consoles power.

So in your opinions do you think there is still room for 2D gaming in this 3D world?
Old 04-25-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got 3 letters for you: G B A

I got one just so I could enjoy old and new 2D classics. I can't wait for the GBA/GC player so I can enjoy all the great games on my TV.

As for 2D on consoles, it's pretty much dead. I think Capcom has a 2D game on the way (Viewtiful Joe?) but that's it.
Old 04-25-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as Game Boy Advance and other portable gaming systems exist, there will always be a demand for 2D games.
Old 04-25-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay I admit I didn't take into account the hand held market. My bad.
Old 04-25-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2D = niche titles

They will always be there, and will be good for certain games. But developers (both hardware and software) don't use these ridiculous polygon intensive machines to put out 2D games.

And I am a big fan of 2D games.
Old 04-25-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be all for more games that have 3D graphics yet 2D playing fields..

Super Smash Brothers Melee..
Shin Contra..
Old 04-25-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think most puzzle games will still be 2d.
Old 04-25-03, 11:44 AM

I like the occasional 2D platformer, but it has to be *excellent* in order to hold my attention. And the GBA is where all the money for 2D games is going to go... Metroid Fusion, for example. That is, until we have an economy that allows most people to drop half a grand on an N-Gage. hbfrank:

BTW which new Castlevania are we talking about? Don't forget there are - count 'em - three whole 2D Castlevania games for the GBA which I have heard are excellent. One of them just came out.
Old 04-25-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sraan
I like the occasional 2D platformer, but it has to be *excellent* in order to hold my attention. And the GBA is where all the money for 2D games is going to go... Metroid Fusion, for example. That is, until we have an economy that allows most people to drop half a grand on an N-Gage. hbfrank:

BTW which new Castlevania are we talking about? Don't forget there are - count 'em - three whole 2D Castlevania games for the GBA which I have heard are excellent. One of them just came out.
There was a thread regarding the new Castlevania for PS2. Again my bad.
Old 04-25-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would be all for more games that have 3D graphics yet 2D playing fields..
Klonoa 2 for PS2 has 3D graphics but a 2D playing field. I have this game. It's pretty good.
Old 04-25-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joshic
Klonoa 2 for PS2 has 3D graphics but a 2D playing field. I have this game. It's pretty good.
That's such an awesome game.. I love it!! If I got a PS2 this is in my top 5 buys. I have the Klonoa for GBA too and the import only sequel.. still contemplating getting the GBA import Zelda-like Klonoa game..
Old 04-25-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah Klonoa 2 rocked!

I like all kinds of games but still think there is room for 2D games. Even though they havn't had as big jumps as 3D games, they have been improving as well. Guilty Gear X2 has incredible animation. And Ikaruga, though the graphics are 3D plays in 2D old school style.

Viewtiful Joe is another 2D game with 3D backgrounds that is looking awesome. Check out some of the movies at IGN. I think there will still be 2D games, but it does seem like there are fewer of them out there. Thank god for the GBA. Still, it would be nice to see more 2D games take advantage of the power of next gen systems. I recall the producer of Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonence mentioned in an interview that good 2D game animators are becoming difficult to find .
Old 04-25-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I want atleast one more street fighter 2-d game.
Old 04-25-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I want atleast one more street fighter 2-d game.
Alpha 3 is probably the last (and best) one we'll see.. damn that game is fine.
Old 04-25-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Alpha 3? We had 3 great SF games after that in Street fighter III, Second impact and Third impact. Not to mention SNK vs Capcom. great games that date after the alpha series.
Old 04-25-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strett Fighter III wasn't that great until Third Strike, it was decent but lost interest in it quickly. SvC was pretty much Alpha 3 with SNK characters.. and underwhelming attempt for so many years in between. They're both good, but Alpha 3 still reigns king in my book.

IIRC, Rose was not in CvS.. henceforth Alpha 3 wins again wahahaha!!
Old 04-25-03, 04:48 PM

Guilty Gear X2 is an amazing 2d fighter that doesn't get enough attention. And it runs beautifully on the ps2.
Old 04-26-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
Guilty Gear X2 is an amazing 2d fighter that doesn't get enough attention. And it runs beautifully on the ps2.

Word!
Old 04-26-03, 06:15 AM

Klonoa 2 is such a highly overlooked and underated game. It's seriously hard to find and I suggest anyone who doesn't own it to pick it up cause you'll be brought back to days of old when nostalgia reigns. I gotta second the comments on Guilty Gear X and Contra SS also. These along with Klonoa are incredible 3D games on a 2D field. Castlevania.. well I am one of the dissapointed also. Contra had some hits and misses, but gained alot of class and respect in my book for goin back to the very heart of the game. If others like the curent Shinobi and Rygar had taken that retro step back, I think they would may not have sold more units, but probably been better respected by the gamers. Let's hope they are just pullin a Retro Studios with their early Metroid Screens and the Zelda vs. Gannondorf E3 trailer that was uch a letdown.

Now if only the next Strider game could reflect the 3D view on a 2D field. hmmmmm
Old 04-26-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own the first Klonoa on PSX, and have been looking for the GBA version for some time now. I have to agree Klonoa 2 kicks mych @$$
Old 04-28-03, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2D kicks ass! I love playing the old school games and even if they discontinue them, I'll still be buying the old classics and playing them.