Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any other good turn based strat/rpgs?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-27-03, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been playing through Shining Force again, and I'm remembering how much I adore this game. I am wondering what other games of this genre are out there?

I have Advance Wars, and I love that game as well.

I am open to games on any system past or present, but would prefer genesis, ps2, n64, gamecube, pc or dreamcast. I have heard that heroes of might and magic is turn based? How does it compare to Shining Force?
Old 04-27-03, 12:15 AM

Well, right off the top of my head you can try Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS (a sequel is coming out for the GBA). A similar game called Tactics Ogre is also available for the GBA. X-Com is a classic and highly rated turn based PC strategy game that is over ten years old and you can probably find for super cheap. There's lots more but these are the ones I am familiar with. I've never played SF or Heroes of M&M, though, so I can't tell you how they stack up. Advance Wars 2 is coming soon as well.

There was a pretty crappy Star Trek turn based strategy game that I can't remember the name of. I would tell you to stay away from it if I could though.
Old 04-27-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I've played Heroes of M&M 2-4. All are very good. #4 (came out last summer -- still waiting on a price drop) has excellent graphics and introduced some awesome new play rules the like. Also, even though the campaigns are usually kinda weak, they always come with a carpload of various maps to play -- gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "just one more turn". Seriously, more addictive than Civ. IMO.
Old 04-27-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just want to chime in with another recommendation for Final Fantasy Tactics - probably the best console SRPG I've played. I liked Shining Force a lot, but I thought it got pretty annoying that they would jump to a different screen just for a sword slash. FFT is pretty similar, although with a smaller battle party limit, and slightly greater tactical elements - and it doesn't have that screen switching problem . One problem with FFT though - it probably has the worst translation of any Square game I've seen. It's not even nearly enough to deter from the game, however. I definitely recommend it.
Old 04-27-03, 12:59 AM

Oh yeah! I forgot about FFT. I have that, and I played through it a while ago, I may have to play through that again!

I also forgot about Ogre Tactics, I had wanted that when it first came out, but it was so hard to find, I think that's been fixed though.

I'll have to check out X-Com, haven't played that one.

I know that Ebgames.com has the Heroes of M&M platinum set (1-3 with all expansions) for 19.99, I may pick that up. Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep them coming! =o)
Old 04-27-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X-com is awesome. Number 2 of all time in my opinion (check my top 3 pc games of all time thread).

Number 1 for me was the Heroes series. You can't go wrong with those games. I like II and III the best. You can get the first three Heroes with all their expansions for 20 bucks. I would do that.
Old 04-27-03, 01:19 AM

Vandal Hearts 1&2 for PS1. First one is short and somewhat easy but it was fun. Never played V2. Front Mission for PS1 is turned based strat/rpgish I think.
Old 04-27-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah FFT is my all time favorite strategy rpg. I cannot wait for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance when it comes out later this year.

Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are also really good. I never got around to playing the second one, but the first was pretty fun.

There's a PS2 game called Dynasty Tactics, which is based off the Dynasty warriors game by the same company. It looks pretty interesting but again, I haven't tried it out yet.

Another game I never got around to trying out but has been regarded as a hidden gem is Saiyuki: Journey West. Its a PSOne game so it shouldn't hurt your wallet too much.

And I will second Front Mission 3. Its a nice strategy rpg game like FFT but involves giant mechs and a more futuristic setting, pretty cool!

Last edited by Outlaw; 04-27-03 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You might want to look at Brigandine for the PS1 and Dragon Force for the Sega Saturn. Both are hard to find now (Dragon Force going for up to 100$) but worth it. They are a bit different than what you might have played in that it's 1 map and you fight against the pc, there is not really a storyline but they are great games nonetheless as you get your armies stronger to conquer part or all of the world
Old 04-28-03, 12:39 AM

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to pick up the Heroes set. After that, I'll try some others. I've got a whole summer ahead of me!
Old 04-28-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Arc the Lad Collection will take quite a bit of time to finish all 3...