Reload this Page >

Anyone try Bataman Dark Tomorrow?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-09-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PS2 version doesn't get released till November. Anyone try the XBox or GameCube versions?
Old 04-09-03, 09:29 PM

I wanted to get this game but the reviews were sooooo bad I decided to avoid it, but I would like to know if anyone has actually tried it if it is as bad as the reviews say.
Old 04-09-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game got like a 3.5/10 in the gaming magazine I recieved last month. A review on a couple of other sites gave it below 35% also. Best not even to waste your time with this one.
Old 04-10-03, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was very disappointed when I saw the reviews on this one. I have been looking forward to this game since 8 mo before the GCN was released when they released the footage (albeit cutscenes) of this game.

You know the reviews are dismal when Nintendo Power gives it a low rating.

I think that the main problem with superhero movies is that they can never get the controls right. They always focus on the graphics or the look of the overall game or the story. SCREW all that. if it doesn't feel like I am controling (insert favorite superhero here) then the whole game is pointless.

One of the reasons why I liked the spiderman game so much. They actually got the controls right.

What is everyone elses favorite Batman/superhero game?

Mine is Batman Returns for the SNES. It was a lot of fun and even better than the much acclaimed Final Fight (which it basically ripped off). It was just a mindless beat-em up but at least it felt like you were in control of our favorite batty billionare.
Old 04-10-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tanman
What is everyone elses favorite Batman/superhero game?
Batman on the Genesis, hands down!
Old 04-10-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Notice how when it was being hyped as "story by Kenji Terada (Final Fantasy I, II, and III)." Now that's conspicuously missing, probably because: a) the publishers realized there's no hope for the game; or b) he asked to be disassociated with the title when he saw how bad it was.

Avoid like the plague. And I don't think it's going to get any better on another platform, it's fundamentally bad.

Jeremy
Old 04-10-03, 10:42 AM

Favorite Batman game: the original on the NES.

I really loved that game, especially the music.
Old 04-10-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by remjim
Favorite Batman game: the original on the NES.

I really loved that game, especially the music.
Word

For superhero games, the one that comes to mind at the moment is Maximum Carnage.
Old 04-10-03, 11:05 AM

I bought the Gamecube version, but after reading the bad reviews, I returned it. I might give it another shot when it drops down to $9.99.

The first Batman game on the NES was my favorite, also. But, why was Batman purple? I never figured that one out.
Old 04-10-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Aaron Beierle has a review of the XBox version up at:
http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/games/read.php?ID=33
Old 04-10-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
Batman on the Genesis, hands down!
i love that game.
Old 04-10-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Superman 64!

Spoiler:
NOT!!
Old 04-10-03, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Word

For superhero games, the one that comes to mind at the moment is Maximum Carnage.

Toss up between the Spiderman PSX game and Maximum Carnage for me. I played both a lot. As for as Batman goes, I guess Batman Returns since I can't remember it sucking too much.
Old 04-10-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrglass

The first Batman game on the NES was my favorite, also. But, why was Batman purple? I never figured that one out.
Batman wore purple in the Batman TV series.
Old 04-10-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first NES Batman was great but I could never get very far. I could go through the first three levels with my eyes closed but once the level with those jumping frogs came the difficulty ramped up tremendously.

That's pretty sad when great liscenses like Batman and Superman can't get any decent love in the video game world.
Old 04-10-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first Spider-Man game for PS1 is probably my favorite. Neversoft seemed to get alot of the Spider-Manisms right.

Too bad about Batman DT. I was looking forward to this one. It seems like alot of superhero games suffer from what the Star Wars games on consoles suffer from. The characters are used as a crutch to carry a very poor game.

Design the game first from the ground up and THEN put in your super hero of choice.
Old 04-10-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Design the game first from the ground up and THEN put in your super hero of choice.
Isn't this exactly the problem with what they're doing now? They're making completely generic games and then throwing in super heroes.

The way to do it is to think long and hard about why people want to be a certain character, and how to build the game so that it's fun to be that character. Then build the game with that as a goal. Neversoft got it right because they realized that what's fun about being Spider-Man is swinging around cities, not beating up tons of generic goons. Their game lives and dies by its swinging engine.

There's a 5-second rule for character-based games, particularly superhero games. If you can't have fun running around as your character within 5 seconds of starting the game, it's not going to be a very good game.
Old 04-10-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by illennium
Isn't this exactly the problem with what they're doing now? They're making completely generic games and then throwing in super heroes.

The way to do it is to think long and hard about why people want to be a certain character, and how to build the game so that it's fun to be that character. Then build the game with that as a goal. Neversoft got it right because they realized that what's fun about being Spider-Man is swinging around cities, not beating up tons of generic goons. Their game lives and dies by its swinging engine.

There's a 5-second rule for character-based games, particularly superhero games. If you can't have fun running around as your character within 5 seconds of starting the game, it's not going to be a very good game.
Spider-man was built on a highly advanced Tony Hawk PS engine, so it had a good advantage going for it.

I rented Dark Tomorrow for GC before the reviews came in. There is no limit to how bad the game can be. The gamespot and ign reviews were literally not kidding when they said the game was incredibly poorly designed. I could not get past the first 5 minutes of the game!!! I took it back and rented War of the Monsters for PS2. Now there's a good game.
Old 04-10-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by illennium

I admit that I wasn't very clear. Build the game engine from the ground up around the character. But you're right. They need to take into account what makes the character special and then work from there.
Old 04-10-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maximum Carnage !!!! Love that game!
Old 04-11-03, 01:03 AM

I'm pretty sure every copy we have sold at my work has been returned, so it must suck
Old 04-11-03, 01:37 AM

Adventures of Batman and Robin for the SNES
Old 04-11-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The NES Batman was pretty good, but it was hard to get past the monochrome Batman.

There was a Death of Superman game for the SNES that was pretty good, as I recall. There were several X-Men games for the Genesis; I never played the sequels, but the first one was absolutely great.

The arcade has seen some pretty good Marvel games. Captain America and the Avengers, the giant X-Men game, and the Spider-Man game (with Namor, Black Cat, and Hawkeye) all come to mind.

DC has been sorely under-represented in the fighting game department. Marvel characters have been in all sorts of fighting games, but the only DC fighting game I can remember is Justice League (which wasn't terrible, but it wasn't too hot either).

The best comic book game? Freedom Force. Sure, it might take a little work, but you can add any character you want to it. It's selling for like $9 at Wal-Mart right now.
Old 04-11-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
The NES Batman was pretty good, but it was hard to get past the monochrome Batman.

There was a Death of Superman game for the SNES that was pretty good, as I recall. There were several X-Men games for the Genesis; I never played the sequels, but the first one was absolutely great.

The arcade has seen some pretty good Marvel games. Captain America and the Avengers, the giant X-Men game, and the Spider-Man game (with Namor, Black Cat, and Hawkeye) all come to mind.

DC has been sorely under-represented in the fighting game department. Marvel characters have been in all sorts of fighting games, but the only DC fighting game I can remember is Justice League (which wasn't terrible, but it wasn't too hot either).

The best comic book game? Freedom Force. Sure, it might take a little work, but you can add any character you want to it. It's selling for like $9 at Wal-Mart right now.
The problem with Justice League was that it was hard to imagine Superman simply not annihilating everyone.
Old 04-11-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Superboy
The problem with Justice League was that it was hard to imagine Superman simply not annihilating everyone.
Hey, it's comics. Batman and Green Arrow have whooped up on Supes before. And Green Arrow and the Atom were pretty successful against Darkseid.

I agree though. Despero, Superman, Darkseid, and Wonder Woman far outpower Batman and Green Arrow. The Flash, Cheetah, and Aquaman don't really fit in either. People like Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Orion, etc. would have been more fitting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.