Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

How to run MOO on PIII?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to run MOO on PIII?

I want to load MOO on a Pentium III-850 running XP Pro. I tried looking for a DOS emulator, but all I could find was a bunch of linux-based DOS emlators. Is it even possible to run such an old game on faster CPU and OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm itching to play as the Psilons again.
Old 03-17-03, 08:58 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got MOO2 playing on my AMD Athalon 750Mhz

Never tried MOO tho.
Old 03-18-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just tried it and it works. Slowdown isn't really needed either, since it is all turn based. Hope you have copyright protection though.

I've found XP to be far more compatible and stable with old games. If sound doesn't work, I use abandon loader along with VDMsound.

If only I could get Crusader: No remorse to run. That was a Dos game that was hard to get to work in Dos......
Old 03-18-03, 01:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm thinking of setting up my extra computer (a P2) as dual boot with DOS just so that I can more easily run my ancient games.

Anyone have any experience with a removable hard drive setup or a multi-boot/OS program?
Old 03-18-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to enable EMS in order to get it to run. I made a short-cut for it, modified the properties, and gave it 1024 XMS and 1024 EMS. Still, when I ran the shortcuts, ORION could not detect the EMS. Any suggestions? I have the game running under Windows 95 compatiability, too.
Old 03-18-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lack of EMS is something that I've run into trying to play some old games myself ... so I'd appreciate any help as well.
Old 03-18-03, 01:28 PM

I hope this helps. I found this in the Galactic Civilizations forum.

Here's the linked post

Here's how. Neil Cerutti made this, I guess, but I've added something that tripped me up:

HOWTO get Master of Orion to work (with sound) in Windows XP:

1. Copy autoexec.nt to your moo directory. It lives in Windows\\System32.

2. Edit autoexec.nt in your moo directory:

REM out all the programs loaded in autoexec.nt (the lines which start with lh). If you do not do this, there will not be enough conventional memory left to run moo with XP's Soundblaster emulation. The only line you really need is the set BLASTER line. Do not change the BLASTER settings. They do not need to be correct for you current sound card.

If you run moo with the CD, you may need to leave in the CDROM extensions. I don't know about this, because I do not run moo with the CD. If a you use the CD, and get it to work with or without the CDROM extensions, please update this paragraph.

3. Create shortcuts for moo\\install.exe and moo\\orion.exe

4. Edit the properties of the install.exe shortcut:

a) Go to the Compatibility tab, and set it to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode.

b) Go to the Memory tab and set Expanded Memory (XMS) to 1024.

Note: Expanded memory is EMS, not XMS.

c) Go to the Program tab and click Advanced.

i. In the window for selecting an autoexec.nt, type in the full path to the modified autoexec.nt in your moo directory.

Note: Don't touch the config.nt path. It's ok.

5. Make the same modifications in step 4 to the orion.exe shortcut.

6. Run install.exe using the shortcut you created. Select "Change hardware settings." Set the soundcard to Soundblaster for music and speech. The settings are:

Address: 220 IRQ: 5 DMA: 1

7. Play moo using the shortcut to orion.exe.

This HOWTO is placed in the Public Domain, by its original author. Windows XP is a trademark of Microsoft. Soundblaster is a trademark of Creative Labs.

-- Neil Cerutti
Old 03-18-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by RoQuEr
If only I could get Crusader: No remorse to run. That was a Dos game that was hard to get to work in Dos......
Back in the day... I remember having to make a custom boot disk just to maximize all available resources to play Crusader: No Remose. Boy was that a pain. But it was worth it to finally finish the game.

The next game, Crusader: No Regret, was actually easier to setup and run.

PAL
Old 03-18-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried that before I came here for help. The problem is ORION can't see the EMS. Wasn't there a EMM386.SYS that had to be loaded in the CONFIG.SYS back then? I think ORION is looking for that in particular. However, I doubt that EMM386.SYS is still a part of Microsoft's OS.

Note: I also added the line "emm=RAM" in the CONFIG.NT. I think I've just about run out of ideas.