Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GTA 3 Multiplayer available for download now

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTA 3 Multiplayer available for download now

These guys have come up with a mod for GTA3 on the PC to play 2-player over a LAN or the internet! They say an 8-player version might be possible. It's still in the early stages but this is definitely great news.

When Grand Theft Auto 3 was in development it's makers wanted to have a multiplayer function included in the game. Sadly and due to unknown reasons the multiplayer function was not implemented in the retail version of Grand Theft Auto 3. Although the feature was not in the product, the lines of code for the multiplayer were not removed. This opened possibilities for us to enable a multiplayer feature.

Although the modification is still in its early alpha versions, the basics already work.
http://www.gta3mta.tk/
Old 03-01-03, 11:15 AM
Banned

i read about this but im not buying it on pc i ahve it on ps2 ill just wait for the next gta on ps2 i heard it will be online.
Old 03-01-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So.. this will turn into anarchy or that other riot game? Sounds lame if you ask me. 8 folks in one town killing each other.. especially if you are set with the life you have so far.. It will be a game of who has the better toys.
Old 03-01-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it sounds pretty damn cool, actually. There are all sorts of possibilities... such as a hide and seek/seek and destroy game. The city is pretty big, so stalking somebody in it would be incredibly fun.
Old 03-01-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was pretty fun playing multiplayer in gta 1 and 2. It was pretty much player vs player. We would get weapons to try to shoot each other down and get in cars and try to run each other over. You could ram cars or shoot at car until they blew up if they were in the car. It was great fun.
Old 03-01-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh what a toy the Hunter would be....
Old 03-01-03, 03:57 PM

Yeah, it worked in the first one, so I don't see why it wouldn't be great in the thrid one. Conceptually, at least. I'm interested in how it performs. If I were to guess I'd say not well.
Old 03-01-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure it work, as a free-for-all player killer third-person-shooter, but then it's not really GTA3 after that.

I suspect that's why they took it out. How do you do multiplayer and still keep the game intact?

Then again, I know plenty of people who didn't "play" the game, just being content with the cheat codes and just causing random anarchy. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. This is one game I'm not really interested in seeing multiplayer.
Old 03-01-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like a good idea actually. I love it.

Just picked it up on PC for $14.99 at Best Buy (Only $19.99, plus I had that $5 off coupon).
Old 03-02-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ProjectMayhem
Just picked it up on PC for $14.99 at Best Buy (Only $19.99, plus I had that $5 off coupon).
Same here.
Old 03-02-03, 12:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

It could work multiplayer if it was massively multiplayer. Like gang wars, where teams of 40 go at it against each other. Cat and mouse sounds cool too though.