Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Get really dizzy in FPS games. Please help!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-10-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a new XBOX owner and I've just received HALO as a gift from a friend. I know that I'm sensitive to most FPSs, but gave HALO a try. 5 minutes into it I had a pounding headache and felt dizzy. I was wondering if anyone had any remedies for this. Also, do you think motion sickness pills would help if I took them before I played?
Old 01-10-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same thing happens to me, some games much worse than others. Halo isn't too bad on me - most FPS games that are outdoors don't bother me. Its just the indoor levels that make me sick. Fortunately Halo alternates between the too so I can stomache the indoor ones long enough. Overtime you start to get used to the motion and it doesn't make you as sick. But yeah, I tried a couple PC FPS games and in 10 minutes I've had enough and feel sick the rest of the night.
Old 01-10-03, 07:10 PM

sorry to hear that mytzplyx. I have never had a problem with getting dizzy playing fps like quake2, halo, etc. but my brother would have problems. It wouldnt hurt to try taking the motion sickness pills. Sometimes it might help playing on a smaller tv versus a big screen set. I have hooked up my xbox on my 65" rear projection set to play and it does make me a little woozy. I have my xbox in my room on my small 20" tv and usually I dont have a problem so you might try that as well. I hope you find something that can help you out since Halo is really fun and enjoyable. If not there are other games that are definitely "slower" like ghost recon which are really fun as well.
Old 01-10-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It doesn't just happen with FPS. It happened to me when I played Spyro the Dragon (PS) for the first time. Like Jeraden says, over time you do get used to it.

I've found FPS that use the right analog stick for targeting (attempting to be FPS on PC) causes me headaches whereas games like Medal of Honor don't.
Old 01-10-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some FPS have the option to turn off player bobbing while walking, which is supposed to help.
Old 01-10-03, 08:25 PM

FPS is simply not for your eyes. Try other non-FPS games.
Old 01-10-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm...

Motion Sickness?

Can anyone say: TimeSplitters

Of so many years of gaming and here comes a game name Timesplitters and does this to me.

I read somewhere of pills for Motion Sickness perhaps you should try them.

Last edited by kar10; 01-10-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have heard to play on a smaller TV or at a little bit of a distance, so that basically you can see other things besides the screen. This will give yoiu other point of reference visuals that stay motionless/constant. If you have a huge TV or sit very close, you don't have anything stationary for your eyes to focus on other than what is on the screen. Also, if there are options to turn off the head bob that apparently helps some people.
Old 01-10-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what a crappy ailment to have
Old 01-11-03, 12:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
What sniper308 said. Sit farther back from the television so that the picture isn't filling your entire field of view.
Old 01-11-03, 01:51 AM

Finally, I am not the only one with that problem. Some of my friends thought I was a weirdo cause I told them about. I have never been able to play games like Quake or Doom. Even the first 3d games that came out like Mario on 64 gave me that sick feeling. Lately, I think I have been getting used to it. Ive been playing bloodrayne lately and even though its not FP, I still get that feeling. Only reason I havent bought Halo is because I know I wont be able to enjoy it like other people
Old 01-11-03, 01:56 AM

I haven't ever gotten sick with first person games in the past, but ever since I got my projector, I can't stand much more than 20 minutes without getting light-headed and naseous .
Old 01-11-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i get headaches for certain FPS games after a long while, but the only game i can remember that literally made me sick was Descent 3 on the PC.
Old 01-11-03, 05:23 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

you doomed like I am. After Doom... or rather starting with doom. I started to experience the same. It sucks, cause there are so many great FPS, but I can't last more than five minutes before I feel like puking. Live with it. Or, some people have suggested changing the control sensitivity, lighting effects, turn off as many details, etc... I haven't actually tried it though...
Old 01-11-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a big TV and love Halo because I get so much more immersed in it. My old college roomate used to have the same problem.
Old 01-11-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thing is that I live in Japan and although my apartment is quite big (I got hooked up), the living room area is partitioned quite small so I have a 19 inch tv and I'm sitting about 5 feet away. Has anyone tried motion sickness pills? I'll go buy some just to try them, but it'd be nice to know if its worked for anyone. Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-11-03, 04:19 PM

Changing sensitivity settings on the controls definately helps. Are motion sickness pills something you can just buy at a drugstore or are they prescription?
Old 01-11-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

play pokeman
Old 01-11-03, 04:33 PM

Low refresh rate...

According to a buddy of mine that recently studied about this in college, the problem is a low refresh rate on the monitor or TV.

The higher the refresh rate, the less likely you'll experience this problem. So, maybe if you're on an old TV with a lower refresh rate or even if you can see a slight flickering, try it on a newer TV or whatnot.
Old 01-11-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by menaz
Changing sensitivity settings on the controls definately helps. Are motion sickness pills something you can just buy at a drugstore or are they prescription?

I think they're over the counter, but if they aren't, it doesn't matter - My dad's a pharmacist. haha
Old 01-11-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

motion sickness occurs when your body can *feel* the movement of a boat, but your brain is not *seeing* it, like when your inside an room on the boat

i dont know if that is what causes people to get sick from videogames, if it is, perhaps the pills will help.

if it is the refresh rate that causes the problem, the pills probably wont help
Old 01-11-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never had problems playing FPS but when I rented Timesplitters 2 for the cube I got the woozy feeling. I'd played the demo on the PS2 and I was fine but I think that it was so much quicker on the cube that it made me feel weird. I ended up just moving further away from the tv and I was fine.
Old 01-12-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, really strange question.

What ethnicity are the guys who are getting really sick from FPS? I know a bunch of people who also get sick, and they are all Asian (and one American Indian). I always wondered if there really is a pattern.

I'm half-Asian, but I have no problems playing FPS, and I know plenty of Asians who CAN play, its just that of the ones who can't play... they are all Chinese, Korean etc. Do you think the FPS gene is on the same allelle as the Drinking gene?

(By the way, the other half is Irish, so I CAN drink).
(just not milk)
Old 01-12-03, 10:50 AM

I have the same problem. My wife bought me Shenmue for Dreamcast, and it made me ralph everywhere. Then she got Sonic for it, and I did it then too, guess its the quick action. I love Dave Mirra, but I have to zoom the cam way out or its chunk time again. It is a bad condition to have.
Old 01-12-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get the same green in the face, nauseous vertigo feeling and I'm asian (filipino), too. So I guess there is a pattern with asians...
shenmue on the dreamcast, yes
counterstrike, quake3, return to castle wolfenstein, etc. on pc, yes
supermario sunshine, starfox adventures on gamecube, yes
halo on xbox, yes

i don't know why i do it to myself. sometimes i think maybe it'll be different with this game, and then i usually end up hurling my breakfast out while i kneel at the foot of toilet.

Last edited by peon73; 01-12-03 at 02:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.