Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What Games Do You Consider SCARY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 10:56 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Games Do You Consider SCARY?

What games do you consider truly frightening? People talk about Resident Evil and I have played Silent Hill but what else?

Also, Any chance of a real scary game on Xbox?
Old 01-08-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Silent Hill, not so much scary as it is spooky. But I find the first Silent Hill more disturbing than the second (perhaps the retread or the fact that you have so much ammo in the sequel lessens the impact).

I hear Fatal Frame is pretty scary. I have never played it tho.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am truly frightened playing Resident Evil. I can't explain it either. Just really scary to me!

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
I heard that Kabuki Warriors (Xbox) was a scary game. **shudder**

I consider "The Test of Fear" in StarFox Adventures to be a little frightening... if not a little nerve wracking!
Old 01-08-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
The only time I was ever scared during a game was those damn dogs from RE. They made me jump back a few feet. If you're looking for a game on XBOX, I would try Fatal Frame. I played through the first few hours on PS2, and completely enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it scary, but it does a great job of creating a very creepy mood.
Old 01-08-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

System Shock 2
Old 01-08-03, 11:17 AM
zig

System Shock 2 is the only game that has ever scared me. It scared me in the resident evil way, of surprising me.. and it also scared me by just providing one hell of a creepy environment where I was all alone, reading creepy messages left by my dead friends.
Old 01-08-03, 11:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, System Shock 2 was the game I thought about. It had both the "jump out of your seat"-type horror, and the "rolling, uneasy feeling in your stomach"-type horror (my personal favorite). What a great game.
Old 01-08-03, 12:22 PM

Playing a human in Aliens vs. Predator. Pretty good recreation of the atmosphere in Aliens.
Old 01-08-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Yep, System Shock 2 was the game I thought about. It had both the "jump out of your seat"-type horror, and the "rolling, uneasy feeling in your stomach"-type horror (my personal favorite). What a great game.
System Shock 2 is a game that begs for a console version. I remember there was a Dreamcast version in development for a while, and got lost when SEGA announced it was killing off the system.

This is a game I just can't get into sitting at my computer, even though I have a more-than-adequate rig. I just can't spend the same amount of time playing games on my PC as I can sitting on the sofa playing them on a big television.

It's too bad they don't just make a quickie port over to the XBox.

Jeremy
Old 01-08-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steel Battalion - The price made me jump two feet back!
Old 01-08-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ALIENS vs. PREDATOR (PC)

I couldn't even get past the first level, it freaked me out too bad. The atmosphere for that game was scary.
Old 01-08-03, 01:16 PM

Resident Evil gets my vote. When the dogs come busting through the windows...that's a jump out of your chair moment. I also get freaked out when surrounded by zombies. I get that desperate feeling going and can't seem to hit the right buttons.

Silent Hill was creepy too. Especially the knife wielding midgets/children in the dark alley. That scared the crap outta me.

The sound in Doom (on PSX) gave a great creepy, out of this world feeling. One of the levels had a crying baby mixed into the background soundfx. Ewww...
Old 01-08-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dino Crisis on PS1. The part where that T-Rex busts through the window had me and my roomate jumping off the couch! RE:Nemesis was pretty scary too when the tyrant would bust through walls running after you and the music would change too.
Old 01-08-03, 01:21 PM
razorbackfan

Donkey Kong. What a rush!
Old 01-08-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

System Shock 2 had me actually terrified -- I couldn't even finish the game. Clive Barker's Undying made me sweat due the combination of scares and intense action. Resident Evil is the king of suspense and it really feels like survival horror. Silent Hill (both 1 & 2) took me to all the places I never wanted to go and showed me some terrible things along the way.
Old 01-08-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My vote goes for Fatal Frame, it is so spooky since it deals with actual ghosts, and just the way they appear. You will be walkin around a dark room and it will just go by the corner of your eye, it actually seems your eyes play tricks on you.

To really add to the moon, make sure u play at night in a dark room, with surround sound on, dont think it has 5.1 but it worked pretty well wit PL2.
Old 01-08-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to add my agreement that System Shock 2 definately had me spooked, for most of the time.

Also, let me add Thief: the Dark Project. May not be a horror game, but very tense at times, crouching in a dark corner, watching the guards to figure out their patterns, hearing the cries of the insane prisoners, the undead in the boneyard and haunted cathedral, etc.
Old 01-08-03, 02:08 PM
zig

Alien vs. Predator is another scary one. Playing multiplayer alien tag especially. One alien, everyone else is a marine. If you're the alien you go around punching out the lights, the marines have to use their night vision which gets rid of their radar.. sooo spooky from the marine side.
Old 01-08-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought "eternal Darkness" on Gamecube was supposed to be a scary title....
Old 01-08-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

system shock 2 for me as well
Old 01-08-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RE, Silent Hill 1, The Thing. Splinter Cell isn't "scary" per se, but it is suspensfull... like when u have no gun, are being chased by 2-3 guys with AKs and u hide in a dark corner and they are like RIGHT in front of you. Kinda scary in a way.

j
Old 01-08-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought "eternal Darkness" on Gamecube was supposed to be a scary title....
I'm glad you mentioned it because it is a scary title. Nothing bugged me out more then having an insanity effect happen at just the wrong time. That manison was surprisingly creepy too. Running through there with a low sanity meter was a nightmare.
Old 01-08-03, 08:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I agree 100% with the dogs in RE. I still close my eyes when I do that part. Also the RE that takes place in the police station, in the interrogation room where the zombie comes chrashing throught the one way mirror, that freaked me out.
Old 01-08-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AVP2 had some great scary moments...

From my post here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=171188

"I just got Aliens Vs. Predator 2 over the weekend. Pretty fun game, but damn it can be scary. I turn off the lights and crank the sound, and as a marine slowly creeping through the alien infested areas, I thought there were times that my heart was going to stop. Here I am in almost complete darkness, struggling to see with the shoulder mounted light, the only sounds were some dripping in the distance, machinery running somewhere far off, the creepy music, and the rythmic noise of the motion sensor. Suddenly something will move across the opening at the end of the hall. Then nothing. Heart beating, I creep forward down the dark hall, my light barely making things visible, and slowly look around the corner. Nothing there. I turn and look the other way and just before the battery on my light dies, there is an alien pouncing toward me...

Pause game. Put on new underwear. Put old in pile with others from that night. Resume gaming."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.