Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does it bug you if someone likes video games for the wrong reasons?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 11:26 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok my girlfriend started playing my Ghost Recon when i wasnt home and IMd me at work saying how much she was enjoying it. I was really blown away because its not her type of game and its difficult too. THEN she goes on to tell me shes not worried about winning. She just LOVES the guys voice (??) and she likes to run around and shoot people wether or not theyre on her team.

GAH. It was funny but its a SERIOUS game! You have to like games for the right reasons right?
Old 12-11-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean all the people that bought xbox because of *hype*?
Just kidding.

I bought an Xbox for the T&A games like DOA. That's it.
It pisses my GF off, but she likes to play Gamecube because of the Wavebird. She won't touch the Xbox controller. Last weekend I caught her trying to plug the Wavebird into the Xbox so she sould play JSRF.

Last edited by mmconhea; 12-11-02 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-11-02, 11:35 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAH. It was funny but its a SERIOUS game! You have to like games for the right reasons right?
No game is serious, if you take them as serious then its you who are playing them for the wrong reasons. Its just a game.
Old 12-11-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A checkout girl at CompUSA told me she bought a Gamecube because it was cute.

I read something yesterday about one of the major reasons the Xbox is not selling well in Japan is because it's too big, which is why they announced Xbox 2 will be smaller....whatever
Old 12-11-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What ticks me off more is when people say they don't like a game and it's because they have no idea how to play it.

Example; When my brother tried to play Metal Gear Solid for the first time he asked me "What do I do?". When I told him to go from the dock to the elevator without being seen he just bum rushed the first guard and that was it. Game over in 15 seconds. Then he said "This game sucks". And it's not like he's a little kid, he was 28 at the time. Fast forward to a couple months ago, I bring GTA 3 home and the same brother comes over and wants to try it. First thing he does is just hop in a car and start driving around wreaking havoc. I tell him "you're supposed to do missions for the mob" but he's more than happy to just aimlessly drive about carving a path of wanton destruction.

Alot of people have trouble with what I suppose is called "mission based" or stealth games. Most of the time they are so used to playing old school games like Donkey Kong where the goal is clearly defined ( climb to the top of the buiding or in the case of Pac Man eat all the dots) that anything too "involved" confuses people. Alot of people are so used to what I call "3 lives and a clould of dust".

Old 12-11-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why should I care why other people play video games? Unless they're sitting in my living room complaining about the games I play, they can do whatever they like.
Old 12-11-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Caoimhin
Why should I care why other people play video games? Unless they're sitting in my living room complaining about the games I play, they can do whatever they like.
My problem is that my roommates ARE in my living room complaining about the games I play.
Old 12-11-02, 01:15 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I guess my girlfriend tainted Ghost Recon for me. Now whenever i play ill remember that she thinks the guys voice is sexy. GAH!
Old 12-11-02, 03:22 PM

Don't forget that YOU are in the living room complaining about the games YOU play too Ghym.

-Naan
Old 12-11-02, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea

It pisses my GF off, but she likes to play Gamecube because of the Wavebird. She won't touch the Xbox controller. Last weekend I caught her trying to plug the Wavebird into the Xbox so she sould play JSRF.
yeah, I tried my tv remote on the fridge last night, but it didn't work either.
Old 12-11-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
What ticks me off more is when people say they don't like a game and it's because they have no idea how to play it.
Your first expample bothers me, but the second doesn't.

If someone gets enjoyment out of a game, but doesn't play it correctly, I'm happy they found something they could enjoy. There's been plenty of games I didn't play "correctly".
Old 12-11-02, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This thread is the funniest.
Old 12-11-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
This thread is the funniest.
Dammit man, you're enjoying this thread without reading it properly. That just pisses me off
Old 12-11-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
Dammit man, you're enjoying this thread without reading it properly. That just pisses me off
No he's reading it properly, but he's not posting properly. I wonder if he's even enjoying it.
Old 12-11-02, 06:25 PM
Retired

I'm more annoyed when people write off games for the wrong reasons without trying them. I.E. not give a game with less than stellar graphics a chance.
Old 12-11-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I get bothered when I hear kids I work with talk about a game like MGS2 or Socom (and of course Vice City) not because of the stories or environments, or gameplay, but because you can snipe people in the head and kill them.
Old 12-11-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm more annoyed when people write off games for the wrong reasons without trying them. I.E. not give a game with less than stellar graphics a chance.
Kinda like the new Zelda? Or how about Eternal Darkness? That didn't have stellar graphics but the game itself was way too cool.
Old 12-12-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Or how about Eternal Darkness? That didn't have stellar graphics but the game itself was way too cool.
Meh, I thought it was decent, definitely overhyped. The sanity system ended up a gimmick, the level design was very repetitive and often uninteresting, the gameplay was implemented well but simple and repetitive, and the storytelling at times was ridiculous. Still, it showed a hell of a lot of promise for Silicon Knight's potential. An extremely highly polished game.

Zelda: Wind Wanker is a good example, though. I bet the visual style will turn a lot of people away, even though it looks really interesting, and I'm sure will play fantastically.
Old 12-12-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock

Example; When my brother tried to play Metal Gear Solid for the first time he asked me "What do I do?". When I told him to go from the dock to the elevator without being seen he just bum rushed the first guard and that was it. Game over in 15 seconds. Then he said "This game sucks". And it's not like he's a little kid, he was 28 at the time. Fast forward to a couple months ago, I bring GTA 3 home and the same brother comes over and wants to try it. First thing he does is just hop in a car and start driving around wreaking havoc. I tell him "you're supposed to do missions for the mob" but he's more than happy to just aimlessly drive about carving a path of wanton destruction.

Alot of people have trouble with what I suppose is called "mission based" or stealth games. Most of the time they are so used to playing old school games like Donkey Kong where the goal is clearly defined ( climb to the top of the buiding or in the case of Pac Man eat all the dots) that anything too "involved" confuses people. Alot of people are so used to what I call "3 lives and a clould of dust".

Ok, your first example is fine. And while I don't particularly like super-structured games, I did play, and beat Metal Gear Solid. However there is no wrong way to play GTA3. Most of the fun comes from being able to do anything that you want to. You don't have to do the missions if you don't want to. My friend and I would sit for hours on end just seeing who could get into the longest police chase before getting caught or killed. Then, if you get bored you can start doing missions and such. Granted, I wanted to do the missions so that it would be easier to get better weapons/cars, but after that it was jsut drive, kill, drive, kill, drive, kill, etc...

As for the original question for this thread, there really isn't any wrong reason to play a video game. If you can find something you enjoy, even the most mundane feature, then why not? For example, one of my fav. things to do in Tekken Tag was the Bowling game. Hey, it was fun!

-CM-
Old 12-12-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like to play Steel Battalion because I feel like the biggest dork with twin sticks in my hand
Old 12-12-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So if I bought Metroid Prime, just to play the original Metroid, would that be a "wrong reason?"

JK. Metroid Prime rocks. The original is a bonus.
Old 12-12-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just...

One of my girlfriends wanted to play Xbox so I put in Ghost Recon to see how she managed since she is Ok at Halo.

I swear she lost total control of the movement, I thought I was watching the Blair Witch Project.

Since she got used to Halo she told me why does the screen looks green It's night vision I said. She started laughing.
Old 12-12-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
A checkout girl at CompUSA told me she bought a Gamecube because it was cute.

I read something yesterday about one of the major reasons the Xbox is not selling well in Japan is because it's too big, which is why they announced Xbox 2 will be smaller....whatever
Well space is an issue in Japan, as you can tell by the constant slimming down of products by Sony and Nintendo. This is the country that made square watermelons to fit perfectly on a shelf in the fridge.
Old 12-12-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come to think of it there really is no "wrong" way to play GTA 3.

Guess I missed the point with that one.
Old 12-13-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I use my Sega CD games as coasters, is that wrong?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.