Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

N64 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N64 Questions

I just picked up an N64 system on ebay (system, 18 games, for ~ $190 shipped). I know, the PS2 is much better, but I have two preschool boys and they are much safer around cartridges than DVD games, plus the last system I had was in the early 80s (before the original Atari), so the N64 will be a huge jump for me.

Where is a good site that reviews (or reviewed) N64 games? In particular I want to know how "fun" they are, and what their ratings are (since my kids will be playing them).

What is the deal with the memory packs? The auction said that it came with a memory card, is only one needed to remember where I was in a game or what the scores were?

What type of memory expansion kits are out there, and are they really needed?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have young nieces and nephews that love Battletanks. Simple enough for the really young ones but it still keeps the interest of the older kids.

And one memory card will last through a few games but make sure to pick up multiple controllers.
Old 12-04-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is a good site that reviews (or reviewed) N64 games? In particular I want to know how "fun" they are, and what their ratings are (since my kids will be playing them).
IGN still has their N64 site up. They should have all the info you need... http://ign64.ign.com/
Old 12-05-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found your auction. Looks like a pretty good deal, all things considered ... though I would have been tempted to get a GameCube and one game.

Gamespot still has plenty of N64 reviews, but you'll have to subscribe to read them. The reviews and extras are very good, but I don't know if they're worth the price.

The N64 had a few expansions, but not as many as planned. You'll find some panels that expose expansion ports that were never used. There is an expansion memory pack for the N64 itself, which it doesn't appear you got. It only came packaged with a Star Wars game if I remember correctly, and only a very few of the very last games on this system take advantage of it.

Looks like you got three memory packs and a rumble pack, so there shouldn't be anything you need to buy -- other than a few "must have" titles that aren't included with your system. Keep in mind that you cannot use a memory pack and the rumble pack at the same time in the same controller.

Of the games you have, I only played Mario 64 (one of the best games for any system) and Castlevania 64. I obviously loved Mario 64, but I think Castlevania 64 was the weakest of all the Castlevania titles. You may enjoy it more than I did since you have a memory card -- without it, it's absolutely impossible.

I highly recommend picking up Goldeneye from somewhere. It's one of the best FPS console games ever. I'd also recommend Conker's Bad Fur Day, but don't let the kids play it.
Old 12-05-02, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by einTier
There is an expansion memory pack for the N64 itself, which it doesn't appear you got. It only came packaged with a Star Wars game if I remember correctly, and only a very few of the very last games on this system take advantage of it.
The expansion pak came bundled with Donkey Kong 64. There are a number of games that utilize the extra memory, but only DK64 and Zelda: Majora's Mask require it. (Although Perfect Dark requires it for most game modes as well). If you're planning on buying any of those three (all of which are favorites of mine), you'll really need it. Otherwise, it's optional.
Old 12-05-02, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.gamerankings.com

Best review site ever
Old 12-05-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know whether Banjo-Kazooie was in your bundle, but I recommend the game. It's art and characters are very kid-friendly, but the game is extremely challenging to complete. It may be a game that your younger kids can grow with as they are able to complete the more difficult parts of the game. (Not to mention you might enjoy playing it if you like platformers.)

Mario Kart is a must in my opinion.

stoolie
Old 12-05-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

must own games for kids on N64 in order of how vital they are:

Mario 64
any Mario Party
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis
Banjo Kazooi (the Banjo titles are a bit hard for preschoolers but are harmless)
Banjo Tooie
Star Wars Rogue Squadron (hard to finish, but my little guy just likes to pick it up and fly)

all fun, relatively easy, and safe for kids.

Other great games that are less ideal for kids:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Kid safe, but probably a bit hard)
Goldeneye (violent)
Perfect Dark (violent)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (Tons of bad language and adult content)
Old 12-05-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
In the past week I have played
Goldeneye
Carmageddon 64
Rogue Squadron
Pod Racer

almost as much as I played Tribes2 on my PC. N64 is now a classic console, but like my 2600, the playability is still there.
Old 12-05-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1941719181

So it looks like I have just one memory card, and no memory expansion kits, though it also looks like I don't need the memory expansion kits unless I want to play Donkey Kong, the Zelda game, or Perfect Dark (at this time). The games included in the auction I won are:

Super Smash Brothers
Duke Nukem 64
Army Men Sarge's Hero's 2
Mario Kart 64
Elmo's Number journey
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil
Bomberman Hero
StarWars Shadows of the Empire
StarWars Episode 1 Racer
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Stadium
WarGods
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
A Bugs Life
Roadsters Racing
StarFox 64
Resident Evil 2
Dark Rift.

I bid a little higher than I normally would have on this auction because I wanted the Elmo game, the Army men game, the two Star Wars games, and Mario Kart.

First thing I would do would be to sell the Pokemon games, the boxing game, and a few others that don't look interesting once I see them, so the $190 would be knocked down somewhat. I am also looking at picking up a second system (hopefully with expansion pack and more memory), then keep the best of the games / controllers, and sell the rest on ebay.

I saw the http://ign64.ign.com/ site last night, it is nice in that it lists what it considers the top 20 games for the N64. Based on that, and since I want a first person shooter, I know that I will want to pick up 007 and maybe Near Dark (though I would then probably need an expansion pack). Plus the Beetle Racing looks nice.

I'll check out www.gamerankings.com tonight, I can't see it at this time (filtered).

Last edited by Heat; 12-05-02 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 10:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You might want to consider trying Pokemon Puzzle League before selling it. It's actually one of the better games on the system (if you like puzzle games).
Old 12-05-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm... I do like puzzle games, I had just assumed that the Puzzle League would be a lame game. I'll check it out.
Old 12-05-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Keep in mind that you might not need the memory card for most of the games.

I bought Zelda, and asked the guy at funcoland specifically if I would need a memory card to save. He said yes, I bought one, and found out that the cartridge had battery backup. To this day I don't think I've used up more than that one memory card, and I have a pretty big collection of N64 games.

BTW, one of the best games for the system is Blast Corps. It's one of the first games that came out, but you get to pilot different vehicles in order to demolish all the buildings within the time limit. It's not really as violent as it seems, as the concept is that you're a construction worker who has to demolish older buildings.
Old 12-05-02, 10:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Blast Corps was the bomb, yo. I'd really like to see Rare update that game for the Xbox.
Old 12-05-02, 12:46 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you're buying the games for your kids, stay away from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. But Mario Kart is a must get, it's fun for kids and adult!!
Old 12-05-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You also need to find a copy of Mario 64. It's a must-have for this system.
Old 12-05-02, 01:22 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing was a lot of fun. might be too violent for the kids depending upon their age.
Old 12-05-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are going to be two sets of games, one that the kids know about, and the ones I keep stashed in the closet (the violent ones that I would play after they are in bed).

As for Ready 2 Rumble boxing other than it is probably a boxing game. I'll see what's worth keeping within a week or so of having the system, once I actually get it, which probably won't be for another week (I used an electronic check through Paypal, it probably won't clear until next Monday).
Old 12-05-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In this picture, what are the three grey objects on the lower right side (just below the games)? Are they two memory packs and an expansion kit? (The auction just says that it comes with "accessories", but doesn't say what they are, though they show the picture):

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_...b6bf14/i-1.JPG
Old 12-05-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Two memory cards and a pokemon expansion kit. You use it in pokemon stadium to import pokemon from the Gameboy games.