Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Miyamoto on Cel-Shading: worst explanation ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miyamoto on Cel-Shading: worst explanation ever

there's an interview with Miyamoto on IGN about the new Zelda and they asked him about the decision to go cel-shading...

Q: Why did you decide to go with cel-shading?

Miyamoto: It's not so much that we wanted to go with toon-shading -- we were just happy that we could have the artwork on the package match the artwork in the game.
Ok, I'd just like to go on record saying that this is the worst defense/explanation for any decision....ever.

Also, I'd like to mention that I don't share the total disdain for the new look that many others seem to have...I was much more impressed by the original, more mature-looking/realistic movies, but this has got to be the worst logic...it's not even "it's because I like it and if you don't, don't buy it."

sigh

full article:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/379/379358p1.html
Old 12-04-02, 10:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is lame.

A previous explanation he offered was that it was easier to display facial emotions, compared to polygonal character models. That seemed more reasonable.

I hate cel-shading, but it's zelda so I'll buy it anyway.
Old 12-04-02, 10:48 PM
Banned

Re: Miyamoto on Cel-Shading: worst explanation ever

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why did you decide to go with cel-shading?

Miyamoto: It's not so much that we wanted to go with toon-shading -- we were just happy that we could have the artwork on the package match the artwork in the game.
This guy is supposed to be a genius???
Old 12-04-02, 10:49 PM
zig

What's wrong with that? The art on the box/manual is generally concept art, which is generally the original vision for what they want the game to look like. Makes sense to me. It seems a bit simply stated, but that's most likely because of the translation.
Old 12-04-02, 10:52 PM
Retired

I'm 99% sure that Miyamoto speaks pretty good english, so translation shouldn't be an issue, unless IGN Cube got the quote from a Japanese magazine or web site.

What's wrong with it is that it's a lame explanation for going with a graphical style that has caused a great deal of uproar. You think he could come up with something better to justify his decision for making the game look like a cartoon at a time when Nintendo desperately needs to get rid of its kiddy image.
Old 12-04-02, 10:58 PM
zig

It was translated from Japanese. They'll have the rest of the interview translated later tonight.

I think justifying it by saying his original vision for the game was to make it this way is a very good justification. You can disagree with his vision, sure, but that doesn't make it a bad explanation.

IMO the facial expressions explanation was the lame one. They could've made the game more like the OoT style but cel-shaded and had their cake and eat it too. But obviously they didn't want the OoT style(hallelujah! ).
Old 12-04-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm 99% sure that Miyamoto speaks pretty good english, so translation shouldn't be an issue, unless IGN Cube got the quote from a Japanese magazine or web site.
Actually he doesn't. At E3 he always opens with a sentance or two in english, that he always stumbles over. He then quickly switches over to japanese and has a translator present to talk in english.
Old 12-04-02, 11:12 PM

how is matching box art a good explanation...why not make the box art match the game?

doesn't seem too tough for me...don't get me wrong, I love the game, I already preordered it hehe, BUT, I hate poor logic.
Old 12-04-02, 11:17 PM
Retired

I guess I was just hoping for a better justification for him using a graphical style I abhor in one of my favorite series.
Old 12-04-02, 11:29 PM

I think what he was trying to say, is that cel-shading allowed them to match the style they wanted. Using regular polygon technique will not work.

They def. wanted the cartoon look. Miyamoto is a cartoonist at heart, it's not surprising he wanted the oppertunity to make a game like this. He said back in the N64 days he looked forward to the day he could make a game look like a cartoon.
Old 12-04-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think he is being a bit sarcastic
Old 12-05-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
okay do you guys NOT remember the original Zelda and the instructions the ORIGINAL artwork. I mean the guy did create the series i think he knows what he is doing. As far as genius...yeah...at least as far as video games goes.

I agree that it is just a simplistic way to say that Zelda finally has the original look he wanted. He probably should have fleshed out his answer more. Do I like it? as long as its Zelda. Remember that there will still be at least be one more installment.
Old 12-05-02, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Miyamoto was being funny like he always is during interviews. Couldn't you tell? Miyamoto has already explained his decision to go with this graphic style many times in the past. Look up some of the older IGN Zelda articles to read them.
Old 12-05-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's just kidding.
Old 12-05-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
He's just kidding.
Exactly, he was being sarcastic. He went with Cel-Shading because he wanted a Cel-Shaded game. I can't believe people are still so pissed about this. Its going to be a great game and if people skip it just because of the cartoon look its a shame. The next Zelda game will probably go for the more realistic look, but he gave you that twice in a row on the N64 so I'm sure he wanted to do something different this time.
Old 12-05-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's seems as though he was kidding. And even if he wasn't, we wouldn't want to condemn the man for one thing that he says. That would be close-minded, wouldn't it?

And I just wish people would wait for the game to come out before "knowing they'll hate it". There's most likely a reason it took best of show at E3 in most publications on-line and off. But we'll have to wait and see.

stoolie
Old 12-05-02, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Stoolie

And I just wish people would wait for the game to come out before "knowing they'll hate it". There's most likely a reason it took best of show at E3 in most publications on-line and off. But we'll have to wait and see.

stoolie
Amen. Don't worry in a couple months there will be a ton of people talking about how great the game is. Of course there will also be those that havn't even played it talking about how they didn't like it. (If you know what I mean...)
Old 12-05-02, 08:40 AM
Retired

I agree it's stupid to write the game off because of graphics.

As I've said many times, I absolutely hate cel-shading, but I'll still pre-order it as I love zelda and expect it to play like a zelda game. I'm not big on graphics anyway, so I'll be able to block them out after an hour or so anyway if I don't like them.

Plus at the least I'll get a new copy of one of my all time favorite games win I preorder, as well as the remix.
Old 12-05-02, 08:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Okay, we've been bitching about this for over a year now people. I have three words: GET OVER IT.
Old 12-05-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I GET OVER IT right after I dismiss worthless statements about how good or bad a game will be made by people who have never played it.

stoolie
Old 12-05-02, 10:17 AM

Regardless of his decision, I'll still buy every game that he created, especiall Zelda.
Old 12-05-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought cel-shaded games looked like crap from screenshots, but once I played Robotech and Sly Cooper, I got over that. Those games look sweet in motion. I was never into Zelda when I was younger, but I pre-ordered the game today, so hopefully I'll get into this one.
Old 12-05-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that's the important part. Whether he's considered a genius or whether he says a line that is possibly misinterpreted by U.S. gamers, it is a fact that he has been responsible for a long line of popular and successful games. They may not satisfy every individual gamer, but overall his games are a major part of the history of video games.

I'll most likely buy Zelda: The Wind Waker because it is a Zelda game and I've liked every Zelda game I've played to date. But if I don't like it, there's always the Trade Forum.

stoolie
Old 12-05-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
It's a lot nicer explanation than I would have given to people, misquoted or not. I would have said, "It's my game so **** all you fairweather fans who only give me compliments when it's done YOUR way. If I like cel-shading, I will use cel-shading, and if you don't like it, here is my ass to kiss. Thank you."
Old 12-05-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
It's a lot nicer explanation than I would have given to people, misquoted or not. I would have said, "It's my game so **** all you fairweather fans who only give me compliments when it's done YOUR way. If I like cel-shading, I will use cel-shading, and if you don't like it, here is my ass to kiss. Thank you."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.