Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSOne Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PSOne Questions...

Hi all,

I've been looking through the Black Friday ads and I saw a pretty good deal I thought for a PSOne at a local store. It's just $39.99. (The store probably won't have more than one, but even so, a regular PSOne is only $49.99 and that isn't bad.)

Anyway I haven't had a game system in probably 10 years, my last one was a SNES. I really don't play games a lot and if I did get one, it would probably mostly for NASCAR and Racing titles along with a few Disney titles, because I can't get enough Disney.

My question to the gaming system veterans would be is the PSOne a good machine, and is there still a good stock of fairly new games that are being released for the system, or have they faded releasing games since the system is so old? Basically even though I'm not planning on buying many games, I don't want a system like Dreamcast that is practically non-existent for games now. Also how much do games for PSOne typically run? I've seen some for as low as $15 ($5.00 on Black Friday) and others nearly $30 or $40.

I've had this resurgent interest in possibly getting a console for some odd reason. I just don't know why.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Game support is basically dead. However the PSone has a huge catalog of great games to play. Check a store like EB or Gamestop that has a large selection and look through the titles. You can probably find a lot of great games to play without spending much money.
Old 11-28-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places like Toys R Us, Walmart, and Target still stock a wide supply of PS1 games and a lot of them are in the range of $10-$20 dollars so you can get quite a few games for not that much money. You probably won't be able to get some of the rarer awesome games like Super Puzzle Fighter but you should still be able to get some great games.
Old 11-28-02, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Nascar Racing = Xbox (maybe PS2)

Disney Titles = Gamecube all the way. (PS2 for Kingdom Hearts though)

Dreamcast (if you can find one) is probably the best cheap solution - the graphics rival the current generation systems... PS1 is pretty outdated now.
Old 11-28-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sony may be the last developer supporting the PS1. They release a few games a year for it.

If you are looking for a cheap system then it is not a horrible choice since it does have a huge library of games for low prices.

The good thing about it is that you could later move to a PS2 and the games you bought would play in it.

Personally unless money is an issue I would lean towards the PS2. This gives you access to both the PS1 and PS2 libarary of games which for you would all be new games

Good Luck!
Old 11-28-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $39.99, you can get a used Dreamcast from Babbage's w/hookups and controller. You just need to buy a VMU(memory card) for $7.99-$9.99, and the games are pretty cheap, $5.99-$19.99 for most. The only ones I've seen priced higher($24.99) are games such as Marvel vs. Capcom, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat Gold, etc. that are harder to find. I even picked up a mint copy of NFL 2K at EB for 99 cents, and still got 30% off since I bought a few other games with it. Not sure why, but EB has all the 2K_ sports games really cheap($1.99, $2.99, etc.).
Old 11-28-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if the ps1 w/ the lcd screen was under a $100 (wishful thinking?), it would make sense to me. i still have quite a few RPGs that i haven't even started playing yet (dragon warrior vii, suikoden, wild arms, etc) but bought b/c they were very cheap.
Old 11-29-02, 01:00 PM

dvd-fanman,

Please check out my thread if interested email me at [email protected]

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=252354
Old 11-29-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RDGAFFORD
dvd-fanman,

Please check out my thread if interested email me at [email protected]

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=252354
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think I've decided to wait and save my money to go for an XBox. RDGAFFORD, I do appreciate the offer though.

Hope you all had a great holiday!