Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Return policy for open games?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-02, 07:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return policy for open games?

Who has a return policy for open games with a receipt? Since gift giving season is approaching I wanted to know which ones offer this. Locally I have an EB, Babagges, BB, CC, Target, etc. I thought EB had one but it seems that they have had some policy changes. I don't mind the ability to exchange for another title.
Old 11-24-02, 07:45 AM

Game Stop has one but I believe it is only for 7 days and I dont know if they will allow open returns after christmas that are more than 7 day old.
Old 11-24-02, 07:57 AM

don't think no one returns for opened, you can exchange for same opened game if defective, but don't even think you'll get exhanged game back sealed so you can just bring it back later (sealed) for different game as they usually open game before they hand it to you.
this use to work years ago with games, albums and other stuff.

most stores policies are * exchange for sealed games only*, which they must do or they would have game returns up the wahzoo because you did'nt like the game, you've aready beat'n it in one sitting and so on.

unless your a fan of the genre, your best bet is to do your homework, read reviews (players perferrably) as mag reviewers would knock a game if there not a fan or don't get the concept and so on or rent before you buy.

P.S. i found alot of bargain bin games last year for the kids before i kept them i looked up there reviews and took most back due to poor reviews.

Last edited by psxfan2; 11-24-02 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-24-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is EB's legal mumbo jumbo:

"Opened software may be exchanged for the same item or one time for an item(s) of equal value, which item(s) will be marked as final sale within 14 days of purchase and with the original sales receipt. Returned merchandise must include all accessories and manuals and be in salable condition."

Translation: You have 14 days to bring back your game for another game of the same price, but you better make sure this game is the one you want, because you cannot exchange that one.

EB used to have a system that some people took advantage of. They would buy a game, play it for 14 days, bring it back and get another game. The same process would be repeated, basically making EB a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, but with longer rental times. They changed this late last year. This system works, but you have to be sure of your 2nd title because there is no going back after that.
Old 11-24-02, 09:03 AM

glad i don't go to eb,
how would you like to think your buying a new game only to open it and see some fine scratches on the disc, guess what someone elses return, they do have heat shrink wrap sealers right?
Old 11-24-02, 12:43 PM

Gamestop will let you return or exchange an open item within 7 days as long as it's still in new condition.
Old 11-24-02, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by psxfan2
glad i don't go to eb,
how would you like to think your buying a new game only to open it and see some fine scratches on the disc, guess what someone elses return, they do have heat shrink wrap sealers right?
Well, that's the trade-off isn't it? If you want the freedom to exchange a game you absolutely hate, you have to put up with the possibility that someone did the same exact thing with the game you're exchanging for. If you want a pristine, sealed, never-been-touched video game, buy it at Toys R Us, Walmart, etc. Just be sure you're going to be happy with it, because once it's opened it's yours.

Really, the odds of you getting a "pre-played" game are not that high, and most gamers seem to accept the risk involved if it means they get a second chance with their purchase. Besides which, if you're *really* that paranoid, inspect the disc before you leave the store and if it's unsatifactory to you, just request another one.

Don't quite see the problem here....
Old 11-24-02, 01:53 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

ok well I think the deal at EB is fair. It allows you to make one mistake and forces you to be carefull on the next selection. I couldn't beat any game in 14 days due to that lack of freetime I have.
Old 11-24-02, 02:13 PM

unless your a fan of the genre, your best bet is to do your homework, read reviews (players perferrably) as mag reviewers would knock a game if there not a fan or don't get the concept and so on or rent before you buy.
as stated on my earlier post i do my homework before i buy so theres no trade off involved.
Old 11-24-02, 02:51 PM

There is still a trade off. I bought MGS2 beacause everybody everywhere looooved it. I hated it and returned it.

Also at any store that takes opened returns they insist that the disc and package are perfect or no return. And if you can tell it has been opened just ask for a different one.
Old 11-24-02, 10:18 PM

thats how i bought most of my psx games on reviews and the buzz, whether i like the genre or not, if they wrote it a must have period i went out and got it, i can tell you how many games i bought this way and many i have'nt even played a few hours in fact i bought msg for the psx and iv'e yet to play it.

i don't buy any game unless it scores 8/10 or better or 80% or better so my ps2 collection is low compared to my psx.