Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pending price drop on all 3 consoles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-02, 01:40 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pending price drop on all 3 consoles?

I found this over on Gamers.com. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Hey all of you web surfers. Just thought I'd take a breather from my normal EGM duties to drop you a line about something I recently caught wind of. It's so big it couldn't wait for the magazine: console price drops. That's right, folks...my Q-spies are telling me that all three hardware platforms may see price drops for this holiday season. PS2 and Xbox are said to drop to $150 and GameCube will fall to a mere $100. Yes folks, 100 bucks -- at that price, why not pick up a few?
Nothing's confirmed just yet, but with Thanksgiving right around the corner, there's a good chance these price drops will happen within the next week or so.
If this turns out to be the real deal, I'll have been SO glad to wait a couple of weeks on getting the X-Box bundle. 150 bucks is a sweet deal.
Old 11-22-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may just have to get an Xbox now if this comes true.
Old 11-22-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can wait a bit to get a GC I think
Old 11-22-02, 01:50 PM

Hmm looks like a good reason to complete the tri-fecta, GC here I come.
Old 11-22-02, 01:53 PM

GC for $100, woohoo, metroid prime might just have to wait... I hope this news come true.
Old 11-22-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really doubt it... None of the three companies really has a reason to drop their price, it doesn't make sense for them all to drop for the holiday time when people would be buying regardless of the price.
Old 11-22-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Icculus
I really doubt it... None of the three companies really has a reason to drop their price, it doesn't make sense for them all to drop for the holiday time when people would be buying regardless of the price.
Well a softening economy would be one reason for a price drop. I bought my PS2 in the spring when the economy was still "stable". But now with alot of people being laid off and with the stock market looking uncertain, the game industry would be hit pretty hard if people decided that a console would be too big an expenditure this holiday season.

I read a similar story in Game Informer or GamePro about a month ago. It preety much said the same thing, that Sony was about to come in with a price drop and Microsoft and Nintendo were going to follow suit. The price drops were rumored to take effect around Thanksgiving.

My brother is supposed to be getting a GameCube for his kid. I guess there's no harm in recomending him wait a week or two and seeing what happens.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 11-22-02 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Icculus
'

Just remember all it takes is one to do it. Then the rest will follow.

Nintendo won't be the first. (Okay, maybe 1% chance)

If it happens, I am 77% sure it will be Sony. Why you ask? Because MS is packing in 2/3 games for the same price.

It could be MS (at 22%) because they got so much darn money, they don't seem to care.
Old 11-22-02, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Well, after doing a bit of reading on the various game news sites, I only found one tidbit on A-Vault:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe on Thursday moved to quash speculation that it would be reducing the price of its PS2 computer entertainment console before Christmas. The move follows news coverage of a reduction in the wholesale price of the PS2 in Japan to bring it into general alignment with the current console price in Europe and North America. The Japanese price cut was made possible by increased production yields of the NTSC format console for the Japanese market. (Europe uses the PAL TV format.) Sony Computer Entertainment Europe confirmed that there were no plans to reduce the price of PS2 in the PAL territories before Christmas.
Now - that's Europe, not the US - so who knows what may be going down on this side of the pond. Still, I don't see any harm in waiting a week or so. We should hear more as X-mas gets closer and closer.
Old 11-22-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Platinum GC for a mere Franklin?

The hell I say!
Old 11-22-02, 03:01 PM

Nice, might need to buy a GC now.
Old 11-22-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am going for XBOX & Gamecube

Why I go for GC
Can't wait to pickup Gamecube for $99.99 cuz I don't need to buy 2 gameboy advance System to play Gameboy Advance on Gamecube

Also, XBOX is the Main System
Old 11-22-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was planning on pick up a xbox after christmas to complete the tri-fecta. But if they lower the price then ill pick it up as soon as they lower.
Old 11-22-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I doubt they'll lower prices yet. It wouldn't make sense. If prices are 1/2 of the launch price in barely over a year, they'll inadvertently train many people to not buy a console at launch.
Old 11-22-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I worked for a major toy retailer for over 5 years. I never saw a price drop on ANY system before Christmas. The only time of year I EVER saw this happen, was around the beginning of February - a month after the Christmas shopping season so people who bought it in Dec. couldn't even get a price adjustment after the price drop.
I'm not saying it won't happen before Christmas, but I HIGHLY doubt it.
Just my 2 cents
Old 11-22-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a few games that I wouldn't mind playing on GC.

If the price drop happens I may also have to cave and get the last of the next gen consoles. I know I'm getting $ for Xmas and that's good cause I'd rather use their money to buy it instead of mine. I told myself I'd never own one but I'm feeling weaker now.
Old 11-23-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am going for GC too :)

Look like i have to do little research on all GC game titles but the main part I can play gameboyadvance on GC system

PS. I am going to WAIT for it
Old 11-23-02, 01:10 AM

/me can't wait for ps2 anymore !!
Old 11-23-02, 01:26 AM
Retired

I don't see it happening. None of them have a real reason to drop before next spring/summer at the earliest.

Sony has a huge lead.

Nintendo has Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 0 (with capcom getting ready to unveil a marekting blitz for it) to sell systems. Plus the Mario bundle. No need to take a bigger loss. If the nets any indications, a decent amount of people are picking up GCs for Metroid Prime. But of course that may well not reflect the casaul gaming public at all.

Microsoft has the sega bundle, and really wouldn't gain much through a price drop due to not having a big name "draw in the casual gamers and parents" title in their holiday line up. I mean if they had Halo 2 or something coming out, then it would make great sense for them to drop the price. But with no big name games, I doubt it would make much of a difference.
Old 11-23-02, 05:05 AM
Cool New Member

cannot wait anymore

I just could not wait any longer. I've just bought GC last night using EB trade-in deal. I bought a preowned system, so, I still have 14 days to return. I might return it for a new one. Still hope that the price will go down within 2 weeks.
Old 11-23-02, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If any of them would choose to drop - I'd have to believe it'd be Sony.

They have won this generation, but the last thing they should do is sit around and let their market share slip to Microsoft.

Imagine parents shopping for their children this holiday season. There are 2 identically priced video game systems. One comes with 2 games, a dvd remote and a controller. The other comes with only a controller and needs memory cards to save. These parents are getting their child the newest system; which will either be a PS2, Xbox or Gamecube.

At $199 and the least attractive retail wise, I'd be surprised if a Sony move was not made.
Old 11-23-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are 2 identically priced video game systems. One comes with 2 games, a dvd remote and a controller. The other comes with only a controller and needs memory cards to save.
using this logic, the price wouldn' matter. if ps2 drops to $150, so will xBox.... so the parents would still have the same dilemma. two systems, at the same price.
Old 11-23-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

do we have to do this every holiday season? The price will not drop this year. Maybe after Christmas in January like it did a few years ago, but definately not before Christmas.
Old 11-23-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Deftones17

do we have to do this every holiday season? The price will not drop this year. Maybe after Christmas in January like it did a few years ago, but definately not before Christmas.
Yeah it seems so. Of course I think I will wait for the Easter price drop

The only reason this might make sense is that Sony would hurt MS's bottomline some more by forcing them to drop also. This would cause them to lose even more money on each console while Sony would still not be losing money on the console.

I do disagree with one thing. Parents will be buying a system not based on what stuff they get with it. They buy the PS2 in larger numbers because their kids ask for it or they know the name. Sony has real brand recognition with their Playstation name and they make sales due to that. The large game library does not hurt nor does the greatest hits titles.
Old 11-23-02, 12:43 PM
Retired

Originally posted by spankyj

Imagine parents shopping for their children this holiday season. There are 2 identically priced video game systems. One comes with 2 games, a dvd remote and a controller.
Just to be nit-picky, the X-box bundle doesn't include a DVD remote. Plus the coupon to get it free didn't work with the bundle, and I believe it's expired now anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.