Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DvdTalk's Ultimate XBox Live Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can use the same headsets that work with cellphones, I'm not sure how much they cost though.
Old 11-16-02, 01:04 PM
Cool New Member

Hopefully somewhere here can help me and sorry if I am posting at the wrong topic. Don't really know much bout computer routers but I wanted to use a wireless router...do I need to get a wireless adapter for my x-box too? A friend told me to find this out. What I want to do is share my cable modem with my computer and xbox. I have my computer upstairs (which also has the cable modem) but I want to be able to use my x-box both upstairs and downstairs. Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I was aware about the cellphone headset but I would still need the part to plug it into. Gspot what you need is a wireless router and bridge. Total cost at a store about 260. I have the linksys model and it works great.

http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=23&prid=415

http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=22&prid=432
Old 11-16-02, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It would be much cheaper run a Cat5 line from a wired router to your X-Box. If you look a bit you can find wired routers for $40.

If you can't run a wire then a wireless router and a bridge is your only option. You might want to consider moving your X-Box.
Old 11-16-02, 03:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Are you guys disabling the premium content downloads? I disabled it because I don't want to accidently download $10 worth of new levels or something.
Old 11-16-02, 06:32 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Are you guys disabling the premium content downloads? I disabled it because I don't want to accidently download $10 worth of new levels or something.
As IGN pointed out here,

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/377/377485p1.html

Microsoft probably won't charge for anything in the first year. The dev for UC has said no charges for anything new. MS said the Mechassault downloads will be free.

In any case, it would be very difficult to accidentially download something for any amount of money. First you have to access the downloadable content screen. Then you have to pick what you want to download. Then you have to confirm your pick and agree to the charges.
Old 11-18-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Bump ^

This thread should be sticky.
Old 11-18-02, 01:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a post on how to hook up more than one headset/headphones so friends can hear the live chatting while im playin live. Where can i find the post -- or ultimately i want to buy the splitter where can i find one?
Old 11-18-02, 01:37 PM

Guest accounts can't use voice...at least officially....there are several sites that list ways to split it and run it off one real account.

-Naan
Old 11-18-02, 01:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Flay
As IGN pointed out here,

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/377/377485p1.html

Microsoft probably won't charge for anything in the first year. The dev for UC has said no charges for anything new. MS said the Mechassault downloads will be free.

In any case, it would be very difficult to accidentially download something for any amount of money. First you have to access the downloadable content screen. Then you have to pick what you want to download. Then you have to confirm your pick and agree to the charges.
So do I have to turn it on to get the good stuff? Hey Flay, what's your gamer tag?
Old 11-18-02, 02:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

how can i split the headset so my friend can at least HEAR wuts going on with the chatting?
Old 11-18-02, 02:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Ferris, check out Flay's first post, it's in the FAQ section.
Old 11-18-02, 04:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Hey Flay, what's your gamer tag?
It's in Golucky's thread, but here it is anyway:

Bruiser
Old 11-18-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it matter if you have a static IP or dynamic IP at all? I'm on the verge or getting broadband and I don't want to find out I ordered the wrong one. I understand that through the router the DHCP would take care of a dynamic IP and make it appear like a static IP, but would it be an advantage to get the static IP anyway?
Old 11-18-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Copenhagen
Does it matter if you have a static IP or dynamic IP at all? I'm on the verge or getting broadband and I don't want to find out I ordered the wrong one. I understand that through the router the DHCP would take care of a dynamic IP and make it appear like a static IP, but would it be an advantage to get the static IP anyway?
I don't think that there it a real reason to get a static IP address for a home network, dynamic should work fine. The Broadband router would take you IP address (Dynamic or Static), and turn around issue other IP address' for your other devices.

isp---->IP Addess---->Router------>IP Address---->XBOX
......................................|
.......................................--------->IP Address---->Comuter

There really wouldn't be an advantage to getting a static IP (assuming one for you Xbox, and one for your computer), since both IP address would be sharing the same pipe.
Old 11-18-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will a Japanese LIVE set up work with a US XBOX? I'm in Japan now so it'd be hard for me to get a US one.
Old 11-18-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course the demo disks won't work, but if I get a U.S. version of a game, I'm hoping I can use the Japanese XBOX live connection still...I've been looking for answers to questions concerning international compatibility and still haven't found them anywhere online yet...
Old 11-18-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by goLUCKY
I don't think that there it a real reason to get a static IP address for a home network, dynamic should work fine. The Broadband router would take you IP address (Dynamic or Static), and turn around issue other IP address' for your other devices.

isp---->IP Addess---->Router------>IP Address---->XBOX
......................................|
.......................................--------->IP Address---->Comuter

There really wouldn't be an advantage to getting a static IP (assuming one for you Xbox, and one for your computer), since both IP address would be sharing the same pipe.
That's what I thought....thanks
Old 11-19-02, 07:27 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

for those of you who want to try this: How to split up the voice communicator , dont.

I just tried it and the signal got VERY weak. I could barely hear other players on both headsets. I dont know how to boost the signal. As it is, its unusable so i guess we're stuck with one headset for now.
Old 11-19-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know that I have joined the fray.

I have found digital crack...and thy name is Unreal on Xbox Live. I hooked it up at 10pm last night & made myself turn it off around 1am. Damn work!

Anyway, my gamertag is SPIDERBITE & I will hopefully talk to some of you guys for the first time soon!

Last edited by Spiderbite; 11-19-02 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-22-02, 06:59 PM

Here's a few questions I could not find the answers to.

1) Can I use XBox Live with a Mac computer?

2) What is I am just interested in watching a game with out playing it. Just to see what it looks like. Is that possible over the computer?
Old 11-22-02, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Braddok
Here's a few questions I could not find the answers to.

1) Can I use XBox Live with a Mac computer?

2) What is I am just interested in watching a game with out playing it. Just to see what it looks like. Is that possible over the computer?
1) Yes, although you don't really need a computer. Just a broadband connection to the internet.

2) Not possible. You must own the Xbox version of the game to try it out or, borrow it from a friend.
Old 11-30-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I HATE the headset. Cheap and uncomfortable. I hope they sell an deluxe padded one or a better third party comes up with something.

Also I got an invite last night but I had no way of knowing (that I could tell) of what game I was being invited to. It was Snowmizer, BTW and I had to got to my friendlist and see what he was playing.
Old 12-03-02, 09:18 PM

I've read somewhere that you can play multiplayer games like Halo on-line, even if it is not supported with X-box live at present. I can't seem to find the thread for this. Can you clarify how this can be done? I just grabbed Medal of Honor, and I'm hoping I can play these online with some friends.
Old 12-03-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking to buy myself XBOX live and 1 or 2 LIVE enabled games. I was wondering which game has the best LIVE features right now? Single player is nice but its LIVE capabilities is what I'm looking for. There is one criteria though and its that it can't be straight 1st person or my head might start pounding with a splitting headache a couple minutes into the game. It happens sometimes and I don't want to chance it. I've read many good things about mechassault on these forums and its 3rd person too right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.