Tiger Woods 2003 for XBOX

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tiger Woods 2003 for XBOX

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-02, 06:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just tried the demo, and the first thing that struck me was how horrific the graphics were. The buildings looked like they were made of cardboard! Is this also true of the full version?
Old 12-30-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jiggyblau
Now that this thread is back, is anyone bothered by how they chose to use the power shot (white button)? It forces me to swing with my left hand, which I don't like as much. Although, as everyone has agreed upon, swinging is rather easy in this game. I just think that using a trigger would have been a better solution.
I like using the stick to swing rather than the trigger. I think it may be harder to hit 50%-75% power using the trigger than the analog stick.

Originally posted by Groucho
I just tried the demo, and the first thing that struck me was how horrific the graphics were. The buildings looked like they were made of cardboard! Is this also true of the full version?
Looks the same to me.
Old 12-30-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I played this the last few days at my friend and loved it. It's a bit unrealistic (hit 2 hole in ones on 1st 18 playing, however neither of us did over the next few days)

I picked it up at bestbuy, they got it for 29.99 currently, for those interested.
Old 12-30-02, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
I played this the last few days at my friend and loved it. It's a bit unrealistic (hit 2 hole in ones on 1st 18 playing, however neither of us did over the next few days)

I picked it up at bestbuy, they got it for 29.99 currently, for those interested.
$29.99, is that for all platforms?
Old 12-30-02, 11:49 PM
zig

Originally posted by finbogg
I don't know about in-store, but on bestbuy.com it's 29.99 for gamecube, 37.99 for PS2, and 49.99 for xbox.. pretty strange.
Old 12-31-02, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by finbogg
Oh sorry, I didn't mention the platform I purchased it on. I had played it on my friend's x box. I only have a gamecube so I ordered it on bestbuy online for gamecube for 30. I hope it's as good as the xbox version. I didn't check the prices on the other platforms. Sounds like they are priced differently though. That is odd.
Old 12-31-02, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Copenhagen
I like using the stick to swing rather than the trigger. I think it may be harder to hit 50%-75% power using the trigger than the analog stick.
No...I meant using the trigger for getting a power shot. I like the stick for swinging too.
Old 12-31-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno...I still like the button mashing for the power shot....brings back those old NES days for me
Old 01-11-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Having played it for awhile I've unlocked all the courses, but I've given up on the Tiger Challenges about half way through. I've raised and raised my putting stats, but the putting game is still a mystery to me. Without a grid or something there is just no way to judge putts. The caddie tips are basically worthless on hard putts. I've lost Tiger Challenge after Tiger Challenge by missing putts down the stretch and I'm pretty much sick of it.

I've just moved on to playing regular match play. At least its got a lot of courses to play. Great game, but 2004 they need to work on the putting. Even PGA 96 for the 3DO had a grid to help you judge your putts.
Old 01-11-03, 08:10 PM
zig

I can't tell if I'm lucky or good, but I think I've got putting down. I can at least get within inches of the hole from most distances (unless my approach was way off), if I'm close I can get it in. They probably should allow a grid setting for those that want it though. Maybe deduct some cash if you use the grid.

Overall it's a very solid game, but I'm not sure how long it will keep me entertained. I mean.. when it comes down to it, it's still just a golf game. Should be good for those days when I just don't know what to play though.
Old 01-11-03, 08:17 PM

Putting

wierd, some people say its too hard but i almost think its too easy. it really is like my real life golf game. i can sink just about anything from 5 feet or less unless theres some wicked bumps or something. 10 feet and i have a good chance. anything more and i can still get it close. this is on the hard pin position too. my longest putt was 71 feet.
Old 01-12-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can come close to the hole on long putts, but to beat the later tiger challenges you pretty much need to birdie or eagle every hole.

I have way too many two putts to win. Maybe as I keep playing I can get the putting down, but I honestly see no way to judge a long putt on this game.
Old 01-12-03, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by darkside
I can come close to the hole on long putts, but to beat the later tiger challenges you pretty much need to birdie or eagle every hole.

I have way too many two putts to win. Maybe as I keep playing I can get the putting down, but I honestly see no way to judge a long putt on this game.
I'm on the final Tiger challenge (playing against Tiger, himself) and haven't found it to be very difficult getting here. The trick to putting for me has been to add a foot or two to whatever the distance recommended by the caddy is and then remove a bit of the left or right correction because the ball will not move as much with a harder hit. Otherwise, I've found that the ball always seems to come up short if you do exactly as the caddy recommends.

As for needing all birdies in later challenges, I haven't found that to be true at all. I've beaten every challenge and only had to retry one challenge once (against Mark Calcaveccia). Yet, I typically had 4 or 5 pars in every 18 holes that I played. Even then, I usually won by 3 or 4 holes. Maybe you just had a run of bad luck with the computer AI.
Old 01-12-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tamrok
The trick to putting for me has been to add a foot or two to whatever the distance recommended by the caddy is and then remove a bit of the left or right correction because the ball will not move as much with a harder hit. Otherwise, I've found that the ball always seems to come up short if you do exactly as the caddy recommends.

I will practice this for awhile and see if I can get it down. In most cases I'm barely losing the Tiger Challenge by a missed putt or two overall. If I can get this down I can probably move on pretty easy. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-12-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I lost to the Lopez chick for the 15th straight time on the 18th hole. She birdied or eagled 14 of the 18 holes and hit two chip in eagles from the fairway. I really don't see how I can ever pass this. Maybe there is something screwed up about my game, but I don't consider this very realistic AI. I'm just not good enough to birdie and eagle that often.

Oh well, add this to the list of games I suck at.

Well at least the challenges. When I play match play I always score in the low 60s even from the black tees. I will have to stick with that and tournaments.

Last edited by darkside; 01-12-03 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a relatively easy run in the challange mode up until I got to "Ace". I still can't beat him so I have gone away from the challenge mode for the time being and have been work the tournament circuit and match play also.
Old 01-13-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah I meant to ask does anyone else do the "online" tournaments and/or update their stats on the TW site?
Old 01-13-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
How is the GC version compared to Xbox? If they are comparable it might be worthwhile to get the GC version for $30 vs. $50 for the Xbox.
Old 01-13-03, 12:52 PM

Ha. I must suck, I can't beat that Mulligan guy.

Even in the round I hit 2 hole in ones, I lost(I did win those 2 holes at least ha). I can't putt for the life of me, and that guy at least on camecube, puts every approach within 2 feet of the pin.. Man I hate it, every approach shot of his, zoom to his face... Here we go again. haha

It is a very fun game though.
Old 01-13-03, 05:42 PM
zig

Well I lost to the Lopez chick for the 15th straight time on the 18th hole. She birdied or eagled 14 of the 18 holes and hit two chip in eagles from the fairway. I really don't see how I can ever pass this. Maybe there is something screwed up about my game, but I don't consider this very realistic AI. I'm just not good enough to birdie and eagle that often.
Ouch. Lopez was kind of tough for me, but she didn't do that well. I've played against her a lot in the Match Play mode, and I don't think she's ever done that well.
Old 01-16-03, 10:06 PM

How do you get "side games" points in the Tiger Challange. I have managed to make it to Tiger without ever scoring in this catagory. I cant find it listed in the manual either. Thanks!
Old 01-16-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
good sig, obladioblada. My name is a reference as well from that as well.
Old 01-17-03, 12:05 AM
zig

Originally posted by obladioblada
How do you get "side games" points in the Tiger Challange. I have managed to make it to Tiger without ever scoring in this catagory. I cant find it listed in the manual either. Thanks!
I believe those are the "closest to the pin" and "longest drive" challenges, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 01-17-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zig
I believe those are the "closest to the pin" and "longest drive" challenges, but I'm not entirely sure.
Yes, thats what they are.
Old 01-17-03, 05:50 PM

Yes, thats what they are.
I consistantly hit the ball 340-360 on the drive and always will have hit the longest drive of the round. Still, I never amass any points in this catagory. Holes in one, Double Eagles, pin seekers, none show up as points in the "side games".
Even the rounds that I have bested a previous long drive 381, I still received nothing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.