Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Red Faction II

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Faction II

...is out today according to EBGames.com. Has anyone read any reviews of it? So far I haven't seen any myself. I really enjoyed the first one though and was debating picking it up. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-02, 12:06 PM

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/22306.asp

GamePro: 4.5/5
Gamespot: 8.3
IGN: 9.2

I still haven't received my demo, but I'm going to pick this one up regardless.
Old 10-16-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got my demo in the mail yesterday and I hope the actual game is better than the demo. It plays like crap and is not even close to being as good as the first one.
Old 10-16-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dont be to worried the first Red Faction Demo blew dog with mass slow down,its not the finished product,most demo's arnt,sometimes demo's are made 2 months before the finished product is done.
Old 10-16-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
They were not even close to complete when they were showing this at E3... It looked really cool, but as far along as they were then - I don't see how they can come out with a good game in such a short time. It smells of rush-job. I'm still interested though cuz the demo was tight.
Old 10-17-02, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah me too, I just got my demo disc too yesterday. I've already got bored with it. If anyone want it just contact me and send a self-address stamped envelope and I'll give you my.

Be advised: It's not that good.
Old 10-17-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havn't recieved my demo disc. I will base my judgement on weither to buy or pass on this game off that.
Old 10-19-02, 08:59 PM

I'm renting the game right now. Was able to finish the game in around six hours on Easy. I will say the game is very atmospheric and I didn't want to stop playing till I finished it.

I played the game with the PS2 Dual Shock and didn't have any problems. Functions are mapped out well.

Besides running around as usual in an FPS, you can also control the gunner portion of a skycopter, a sub, a tank, and a mecha suit like you see in anime.

Graphics wise I think there are too many dark areas, though you have effective night vision, which can be used anywhere, and doesn't run out. Other than that, the game menus and pause screens run at 60fps, while the game itself runs at 30fps. The only slowdown I noticed is when I was in the mecha suit attempting to take out eight or nine enemies in one of the later levels.

Load times average 10 seconds between levels.

Lots of weapons. Sometimes it is hard to figure out which weapon you have from the picture until you select it. Reload time of the weapons vary from two-eight seconds. One of the grenades sticks to whatever you throw it at, so you can reenact the "flailing aliens" from Halo.

The story is the usual "We're on the good side, and we have to take down the oppressive regime". The story takes a twist later on, though it won't be a surprise if you've played some of the other FPS games in the past couple years.

Sound effects are satisfying, more so if you use the digital out.

If you have a USB keyboard and mouse, you can use these to play the game. The game has menus to map the keys to specific functions.

I don't know what the big hoopla is about GeoMod, as you can't damage the environment anywhere you want. There's walls that can't be damaged, even though you just blew a hole in another section of the same wall on the same building.

I don't know if this is present when you start the game or after you complete something, but one of the movies you open is an "interview" with the characters of Summoner 2, done in the style of one of those "no content" interviews of movie stars. Very funny if you like parodies. The movie is called "Summoner 2 Geeks".
Old 10-20-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TIme to talk about multiplayer...

Rented on Thursday, bought Saturday...

It's a very good game, just not as good as the original.

Of course, I've only played 2 player, because that's really all my friend and me play. There are a ton of options similar to Unreal and Quake that weren't available on the original. Deathmatch, Team DM, Arena, Team Arena, Bagman, Team Bagman and Capture the Flag.

The graphic are sharp...but maybe a little too sharp.

The game also seems a lot more fast-paced.

The levels are nice, but I don't see very many areas that you could really destroy (Like in Badlands, on the original, you could blow up the entire top levels paths so the players would fall down). I didn't really notice anything similar, but I haven't played all the levels (close though). I also noticed a lot of those pads (when you get on it, it makes you fly in the air...to get to another level).

The guns are really nice...maybe more unrealistic like Unreal and Quake but I enjoy them (The original seemed to have more realism). A couple new additions...WASP-Like a rocket launcher, but way more powerful (they use these on combat vehicles). Double machine pistols or double semi-autos pistols. You can shoot them both at the same time or just shoot them singlely, you have the option. NICW-Shoots automatic 7.62mm rounds or can shoot grenades. Silenced machine gun. Double or single enhanced machine guns. Frag, incendiary, shock and satchel grenades.

Multiplyer powerups:

Damage multiplier: Increases damage by 2x. Short time.
Leech: Gain helath by shooting others. Short time.
Slow-Mo: Causes others to go in slow motion, but not yourself. Short time.
Invulnerability: Makes you invulnerable for short amount of time.
Super health: Doubles health to 200.

Overall, I like the game, but I don't think it's as good as the original. I'm giving it a solid "B" grade, maybe "B+", while I'll give the original an "A". I don't use the star system. or whatever.

Hope it's understandable...

My longest post ever.

Last edited by ProjectMayhem; 10-20-02 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Topping this so people know the game is out.

I know there's more fans of the game, so why few replies?
Old 10-21-02, 05:49 PM
Shawn

Is this game coming out on the Xbox? I checked Flay's thread but didn't see it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-02, 11:24 PM

I was really excited about this game, up until I played it. I got this it on Friday and took it back today. I had never played the first one, but I had always heard it was really good. oh well

Has anyone played both Timesplitters 2 and Red Faction 2? I need to know if TS2 is any better.
Old 10-22-02, 09:50 AM

My gf finally received the demo over the weekend. I really enjoyed it but from the sound of things its more of a rental than a buy. especially with GTA:VC out next week.

BTW- I'm a huge fan of the first one and for those of you who haven't played it you should definitely pick it up. I beleive its on sale for 16.99 at Best Buy this week (as are most Greatest Hits titles).