Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Be Gentle: Which console for my nephew?

Old 09-23-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be Gentle: Which console for my nephew?

So my sister calls up last night and asked me which console they should get for their boys this Christmas...

I'm more of a computer gamer, so other than knowing that the XBox and the PS2 are the big boys, with the Cube hanging in there, I don't know anything about the games themselves--which is too bad because that's their biggest criteria...

The nephews are 12 & 10... Very big on the skateboarding & extreme sports stuff, and racing...

I told her that both the XBox and PS2 were successful systems with tons of popular games across all genres. But which of these systems has the biggest hit games in skateboard & racing categories? Which system would have the highest "cred" with these kids?

If they get the system, I'll be getting two of the games... What games would be best? They should be big hits, I think, rather than brand new releases... but they need to have quality gameplay...
Old 09-23-02, 04:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

PS2 or Xbox given your criteria. I was about to recommend the GCN, but it doesn't sound like your nephews would be too into the games.
Old 09-23-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't go wrong with the PS2. Get them that with Tony Hawk 3 and Gran Turismo 3.
Old 09-23-02, 04:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think the amount of good skateboarding/extreme sports games are equal between XB and PS2. Racing games is trickier. But I give a slight advantage to the XB based on racing games a 12 year old would like.
Old 09-23-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Xbox or PS2
Games:
Tony Hawk 4
Some Racing Game.
Old 09-23-02, 04:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Actually XB does have a nice game PS2 doesn't in terms of extreme, I forgot about Jet Set Radio Future. On that, I would strongly recommend the XB. BTW: right now BB has buy 2 used games get one free, you should be able to get that for $25, and some other ones to get them started with.
Old 09-23-02, 04:28 PM

Well, for skateboarding, you will definitely want to consider Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 or 4. That's the premiere skateboarding title. Fortunately, that's available on all three consoles. In fact, all the extreme sports games are available on Xbox and PS2 (and in most cases, the Gamecube). I think you're probably right in assuming that the choice comes down to Xbox or PS2. Unless those kids love the classic Nintendo franchises (which it doesn't sound like they do), they probably would be disappointed with the Gamecube. After that, it really comes down to which exclusives they prefer. There are some cool games coming out for both but none are really in the catagories you mentioned that they like. Xbox is obviously the more powerful console which would give them bragging rights with their friends but there's no doubt that the PS2 has a bigger library of older games. As far as exclusive driving games go, the Xbox has several good ones with Rallisport Challenge, Project Gotham Racing and Sega GT 2002. The PS2 has one of the best simulations in Gran Turismo 3 (which might be too difficult for kids their age). There are also many arcade racers that are available on both consoles. Without more info on what they like, that's the best I can do. Hope this helps...
Old 09-23-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I right that the PS2 comes with native DVD play, and that it's available (but extra) with the XBox? (How much extra?) The console may end up on the secondary TV, so having a secondary player would be a plus...

Sounds like either system would be OK, but I'm still eager to hear more distinction/contrast drawn between this years big hits on the XBox vs. this years big hits on the PS2... Or are they mostly the same titles?
Old 09-23-02, 04:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

For the Xbox you have to buy the remote/DVD kit for $30. The PS2 has it built in but you have to use a sucky controller to control the DVD. However keep in mind you *don't* have to buy a memory controller for the Xbox and you do for the PS2 and it costs about $25 dollars.

The big hit this year for Xbox was Halo. It might be too violent for your nephews, you run around shooting aliens. For the PS2 the big hit is Grand Theft Auto 3. You run around in a realistic world, stealing cars, murdering or attacking people (even old ladies), and going on mafia missions. There is even something built in where you can pick up prostitutes, pay them to have sex with you (you can't see it though) and then kill them to get your money back after they are done.
Old 09-23-02, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
Am I right that the PS2 comes with native DVD play, and that it's available (but extra) with the XBox? (How much extra?) The console may end up on the secondary TV, so having a secondary player would be a plus...

Sounds like either system would be OK, but I'm still eager to hear more distinction/contrast drawn between this years big hits on the XBox vs. this years big hits on the PS2... Or are they mostly the same titles?
PS2 does have native DVD play (without a DVD remote) but the Xbox currently offers a $30 rebate (essentially making it free) on the DVD remote (which enables DVD play) when buying an Xbox system. So, as long as they buy it before November, it's a moot point

As for the big hits this fall, Xbox has Splinter Cell (a stealth action game), Blinx the Time Sweeper (an innovative platformer), Unreal Championship (FPS)and MechAssault (3rd person Mech combat).

PS2 has Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (which is not really appropriate for kids their age, although they may feel different ), Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (a platformer), Ratchet and Clank (another platformer) and SOCOM Navy Seals (a 3rd person shooter).

Those are the big games for Christmas. Hard to say which ones they would like better.
Old 09-23-02, 04:49 PM

Yes, you are right. The PS2 is a DVD player from the second you buy it, but the X-Box needs a kit. I'm not sure on the cost for that.

I'd say you should get them the PS2 for a couple of reasons:

1. DVD ready
2. Extensive library of games
Old 09-23-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as racing games go, what I'm guessing they'd love most is the illusion of realism (real cars & track) and lots of excitment (rock music) without it being horribly difficult like an actual simulation... But if GT3 is a huge hit, they probably know & love it by name anyway, and probably have the patience to master it...

So Tony Hawk 3 & 4 are both out at the same time... Any reason to get the old one rather than the new one? Would a kid be dissapointed with the old one, seeing as a new one is out?

I was very slightly leaning toward the PS2 when my sister called---maybe 55% PS2 to 45% Xbox--but I'm hearing lots of good Xbox rationale in this thread so far... I know my sister & husband wouldn't go for Grand Theft Auto in any incarnation, although moderate alien gore might be OK in Halo...

I know they've played several of the Final Fantasy games somewhere with other kids... and they have their own DVD copy of the movie... What is that series doing these days on the various consoles?

Their past consoles include the Sega Saturn(?) and whatever Nintendo console came out with Mario 3D & go-cart...

The kids actually do like the old Nintendo characters, and love playing GBA games, but I'm pretty sure Xbox or PS2 are still the better options... If I get enough variety of response here, I'll just point my sister toward this thread herself. More general comments and opinions would be hugely appreciated...

Last edited by adamblast; 09-23-02 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-23-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know they've played several of the Final Fantasy games somewhere with other kids... and they have their own DVD copy of the movie... What is that series doing these days on the various consoles?
And here is where your choices narrow. Final Fantasy games (except possible the on-line one coming up...XI) and all Square games except for the recently announced Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronoicles for the GameCube will be coming out on PS2 until Microsoft comes and buys them up like they did Rare (at this point anything is possible).

There is a rumor that FFXI (on-line only) will not come out in the US because of the minimal subscriber base in Japan. Square is working on FFXII for the PS2 though along with some as yet unannounced games.

I have all 3 systems, but if you need to narrow your choice down with FF games, you have to go with the PS2 at this time.
Old 09-23-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm, when I was 10 or 12 I knew what console I wanted, why don't your nephews?
Old 09-23-02, 05:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yup Final Fantasy = PS2. If they love Final Fantasy then that's your only option.

Aghama, maybe they want to surprise the kids? I dunno, when I was 10, not only did I pick out what games and systems I wanted, I ususally opened and played them early. One of my best memories is playing Zelda before Xmas while staying home pretend sick with my mom taking care of me and having no clue I was playing my Xmas present.
Old 09-23-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would go with a PS2, they have a huge library of games, and the games mentioned Tony Hawk 3, and GT3 are only $20 each.
Old 09-23-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
Hmm, when I was 10 or 12 I knew what console I wanted, why don't your nephews?
But how do you find out--without them knowing WHY you're asking?? That's probably a good point, Aghama, although I don't know how to answer it. They probably do know which one they'd prefer. There's a lot to be said for the element of surprise, though...

Last edited by adamblast; 09-23-02 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-23-02, 05:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

adam, tell them your friend at work is looking to get a new system and ask their advice on which one is the best.
Old 09-23-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
adam, tell them your friend at work is looking to get a new system and ask their advice on which one is the best.
I don't talk to them often enough for that question to have a ring of truth... No way to make it sound casual... But I'll pass it on as a possibility to my sister...

Interesting how I keep switching sides depending on the last poster...
Old 09-23-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They probably do know which one they'd prefer. There's a lot to be said for the element of surprise, though...
There's also a lot to be said for a couple of kids begging for one of the games systems for X-Mas, in a month or two.
Old 09-23-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

PS2 for the sheer number of quality titles alone.
Old 09-23-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would get the PS2-

there are a bunch of great games for $19.99(Greatest Hits Titles) so you can get a library started for less money. Also as mentioned the Final Fantasy series is on the PS2. Really although I do think the XBox is a good system the PS2 is the best system with the most choices for most people.

Also if they own a PS1 they can sell that and play any remaining PS1 games on the PS2.

Plus the PS2 allows you to play Dvd's without investing in a remote and the new models have the updated Dvd player drivers built in.

Yes the Xbox has a rebate however you still pay the money upfront then deal with mailing in the rebate and hope it gets paid.

Any of the game systems (including the Gc) would be fun with at least some games they would like. The PS2 will have more games that they would like simply due to the vastly larger library of great games for the system.

IMO
Old 09-23-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is online gaming a consideration? If so, do they have broadband access? X-Box Live launches in November (I believe) and is broadband only, but the X-Box comes ready to go online out of the box if you have broadband. PS2 online is accessible now, allows dialup or broadband, but you have to buy the adapter.

I have a GC, but would probably pick up an X-Box if I was choosing another console. I remember playing co-op/multiplayer games years ago with my brother (played the heck out of NARC), for that reason, if I was the age of the kids involved, I'd want an X-Box with Halo.

Some considerations: If they have friends who have one or the other, you may want to go the same route for trading/borrowing games, etc. On the otherhand it is always nice to have a friend with a different console, so you get to play everything .

If cost of games is a big consideration the PS2 has the Greatest Hits series which are usually hot games that have sold a large number of copies and been out a little while.

I also think that finding out what they want specifically is a wise move if it can be done without them catching on.
Old 09-24-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PS2 gets my vote.

Native DVD playback
GT3 and THPS 3 are cheap and awesome
Final Fantasy series
Probably the most popular system among their friends

Hard to go wrong with the PS2
Old 09-24-02, 01:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

The Xbox has a sort of greatest hits as well, they aggressively price their games that's for sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.