Reload this Page >

BF1942! Retail! Don't read! Go buy!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-17-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I did a search, and I can't believe this doesn't have a thread yet.

I've been playing some intense BF1942 since I got it last week.

Impressions:

I love the city maps. Very close quarters, and fun games are possible even without a lot of players.

Some of the desert/mountain maps are far too big for a small group of players (10 or less). It literally takes a few minutes to drive across the map. Some of the tank battles can be pretty fun in the wide open desert though.

The B-17 bomber is very fun to fly, especially if you get a full crew. I like the ball turret position underneath. Makes me feel like I am in Memphis Belle.

The new tanks and artillery units are great as well. I love driving the Tiger Tanks.

The sub is very interesting. One of the island maps (Iwo Jima, I think) is a mostly naval map. I was sub-hunting with the destroyer last night and it was very tense.

All in all, it's probably one of the best purchases I've made. Finding a good server makes it all the better. You can play single player, basically filling all the maps with bots. And so far, the computer is ten times better organized than any human opponent I've come up against.

If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it!
Old 09-17-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish the friggin' Atlanta servers would raise their max players to 32.
Old 09-17-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
there has been plenty of threads on this.

though it's running the demo map till tomorrow. then all 32 computers will have it running. ooh I can't wait.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-18-02 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
there has been plenty of threads on this.
Hmm...searching for "bf1942" and "battlefield 1942," I really didn't see any threads discussing the retail version. It only came out last week, so talking about the demo doesn't count.
Old 09-18-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So talking about a demo of the game is talking about a completely different game..

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=battlefield

and this one doesn't really make it sound like a the demo. just "who's up for Battlefield

Old 09-18-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just Jack!

Old 09-18-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't get it?
Old 09-18-02, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it?
It was just supposed to be funny... You and Battlefield. I just picture that guy's head saying "just jack" when you talk about Battlefield - I don't know why. I'm sure it's only funny to me.
Old 09-18-02, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

you strange strange person. though the game rocks! (to bad the shooting/damage system sucks arse.. Nade take out a tank? HA! i laugh at that)
Old 09-18-02, 09:55 AM
Banned

So talking about a demo of the game is talking about a completely different game..

and this one doesn't really make it sound like a the demo. just "who's up for Battlefield

Actually Jack,
This is completely different. His discription of the full-retail game gave me more information then all of the other posts combined. But hey, if you have that much time on your hands, feel free to post more links !
Old 09-18-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by FonMan
Actually Jack,
This is completely different. His discription of the full-retail game gave me more information then all of the other posts combined. But hey, if you have that much time on your hands, feel free to post more links !
Thank you!

I hadn't heard anyone's description or impressions of the retail version, which is far different than a one level demo. That's what I was looking for.
Old 09-18-02, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by draven-x
Thank you!

I hadn't heard anyone's description or impressions of the retail version, which is far different than a one level demo. That's what I was looking for.

Actually, I friend told me about the demo, So i D/L'd it. I was not going to pick it up until I read your post....I think it might be a good way to kill time I dont really have until christmas.

BTW, how much did it cost you? I think Best Buy had it on sale this week?

The only part that sucks in that game is flying. I just cant get it down. Keyboard controls just cant do it for flying. I destroy with the tanks though. Do you know if you can hook up a joystick for the planes?

Also, maybe you can help me with this. For some reason, when I am a scout/sniper and use the sniper gun, It takes me SEVERAL shots to kill someone, like 4 or 5. On the other hand, there have been several times where people have taken me out, at long range, with one shot! Does it matter in this game where you hit someone? Usually FPS's dont have kill zones on the body, just if you hit anywhere. I just love scoped weapons !
Old 09-18-02, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flying - A joystick is a much. I use a Sidewinder Pro with the rudder control, it flies like a dream.

Sniping - Head shots are one shot kills. If you keep the fire button held down after you shoot, the scope stays up so you can better tell what you hit. I've also read that when the rifle is bobbing up and down in the first couple of seconds you raise it, your accuracy is shite, and that seems to be true in my experience. I'm not sure what affect going prone has on accuracy either, I think you might sway a bit less.
Old 09-18-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes you can map the controls to a joystick. I can't fly for **** with the mouse, so this was a must. I'm not very good at it (and I think planes are hard to keep alive...I blow them out of the sky very easily with AA) so I concentrate on tanks. But the joystick makes all the difference in the world.

Sniping: I've found that going prone or crouching (z or ctrl) greatly increases accuracy. By dropping to a knee, I can snipe pretty well with the Bar's. It is very hard to hit moving players. I usually wait for them to stop before firing and giving away my position.
Old 09-18-02, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
It was just supposed to be funny... You and Battlefield. I just picture that guy's head saying "just jack" when you talk about Battlefield - I don't know why. I'm sure it's only funny to me.
I'm following you TRigger, very funny!
Old 09-18-02, 06:41 PM

system requirements??

What do I have a better chance of running - BF1942 or Mafia?

900MHz Duron
512MB RAM
GeForce3 Ti200
Windows 2000
Relatively new install of OS
Plenty of HD space.
Cable Modem connection.
Old 09-18-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My topic about there already being threads simply ment, you could have added to those threads and moved the topic from a demo thread to full game thread. thats all. in any case, the game does rule. flying a bomber is some damn sweet. Screw taking a whole crew of random internet guys who wont use teamwork anyways, Just fly it yourself and switch positions as you see fit.
Old 09-18-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: system requirements??

Originally posted by zeppelin
What do I have a better chance of running - BF1942 or Mafia?

900MHz Duron
512MB RAM
GeForce3 Ti200
Windows 2000
Relatively new install of OS
Plenty of HD space.
Cable Modem connection.
Both games should run just fine. Mafia might chug a little if you set the detail super high. Other than that, your system should handle both games.
Old 09-18-02, 09:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

If you think a thread should be merged with another thread or closed, report it to a mod and we'll take care of it. Don't try and self-mod, because it takes threads that might not need to be closed off-track. Thanks.
Old 09-20-02, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know when this game is scheduled to come out for the X-Box. I went to the home page and saw that it was in development but with no date. It looks pretty cool, but I know my computer probably won't be able to handle it.
Old 09-20-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My friend Shilex, I would recommand this game on nothing more then a PC.. why? the multiplayer factor alone is worth it. and I'm not talking about split screen on a tv or a few. I'm talking about teams of 10 or more going out and using the vehicles as a team. there is nothing like 3 tanks going side by side with a apc behind it full of your team and a few guys walking behind that. this game totally rules all.
Old 09-20-02, 02:57 AM

Anyone have any tweaks that might help run this thing better?

I got a 1ghz with 384 ram, a GF2 GTS (yeah I know...), but even in 800*600*16 I get lousy frame rates...
Old 09-20-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI, the current reports state that BF1942 will not be on Xbox Live!
Old 09-20-02, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Phyre
Anyone have any tweaks that might help run this thing better?

I got a 1ghz with 384 ram, a GF2 GTS (yeah I know...), but even in 800*600*16 I get lousy frame rates...
Check if V-sync is on. That was something I thought I had configured correctly, but lo and behold, I checked the control panel and V-sync was on.

Do you have a Creative soundcard? Some people have reported some problems with those. You might check out the games forum at www.hardforums.com for some tweaks with the Creative cards.

And as always, make sure all your drivers are new and up to date.

Hopefully that will help a bit.
Old 09-20-02, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Aghama
FYI, the current reports state that BF1942 will not be on Xbox Live!
None of the online capable games published by EA for the Xbox this year are going to be Live compatible.

I have my hands full with Socom, the Terminator, and the soon to be released Robotech. But, for $28 (20% off pc gamer coupon + $5 BB gift card), I can't resist. See you all in the trenches!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.