Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

BF1942! Retail! Don't read! Go buy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call me a newb, but can someone tell me out to get out of one of those LTV transport boats (or whatever the name is). If I hop into one off a carrier I can pilot it and move it to land. But from that point I'm forever stuck in the thing. I can't get the door to lower. The manual mentions using the up/down arrow, but they don't do anything. Also, whenever I take it into the shore, it gets stuck on the beach - I don't know if that has anything to do with it - it never comes to a complete standstill, it always jutters around.

So in any maps where my side has lost all its mainland bases and I'm forced to spawn on a carrier, I get screwed cause I can't figure out how to exit the thing unless I manage to hop on one that someone else is piloting.
Old 09-20-02, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jeraden
Call me a newb, but can someone tell me out to get out of one of those LTV transport boats (or whatever the name is). If I hop into one off a carrier I can pilot it and move it to land. But from that point I'm forever stuck in the thing. I can't get the door to lower. The manual mentions using the up/down arrow, but they don't do anything. Also, whenever I take it into the shore, it gets stuck on the beach - I don't know if that has anything to do with it - it never comes to a complete standstill, it always jutters around.

So in any maps where my side has lost all its mainland bases and I'm forced to spawn on a carrier, I get screwed cause I can't figure out how to exit the thing unless I manage to hop on one that someone else is piloting.
hehe,
I had the exact same problem !
The "PAGE DOWN" key lowers the front ramp of the landing craft. Push "e" to disengage and run out the front. Until I learned this, I actually had to find a way to jump over the ramp (which I did ) but it is much better lowering the ramp
Old 09-20-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
See, the "up" arrow works just fine for me. You have to make sure you are in the pilot's position on the boat (not the gunner or passenger) but holding the "up" arrow lowers the ramp just fine for me.

Weird.
Old 09-20-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the "holding down the key" part might be what you're missing.
Old 09-20-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
this my friends is way you do not use default keys.. You wont ever find them all take some time to remap your keys and customize your key lay outs so everything is in reach and you know the buttons.
Old 09-20-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
this my friends is way you do not use default keys.. You wont ever find them all take some time to remap your keys and customize your key lay outs so everything is in reach and you know the buttons.
I understand the desire to remap things to make it easier (like I did with my joystick) but 9 DOES open the parachute by default, so if you need to open your parachute, just hit 9 on your keyboard. The up arrow DOES lower the ramp on the boats, pressing 1,2,3 moves you to the different positions in the vehicles.

My point is that the first thing I do when I am playing a new game is check the controls. I don't think any buttons are "hidden" from you by default.
Old 09-20-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well considering arrows are default for hatch, M is map, N is zoom, the prone and so forth, this game has a lot of buttons to mess with. Always check your keys. and remember that in a fire fight you will need to press the buttons fast so try to make it so that you will be able to save your time moving your fingers from one button to the next.
Old 09-20-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't remapped anything, and I'm positive the up/down arrows didn't do a thing to lower the ramp from that boat. I held it down for a while too. I'll try pg up/down when I play it tonight and see if it makes a difference.

I installed the 1.1 patch before playing, not sure if that made a difference (might have remapped keys in that patch?)
Old 09-20-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And you're positive that you're holding it down while still in control of the boat? That's a pretty bizarre problem.
Old 09-20-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played the first few single player levels and it seems kind of weak. It just doesn't seem like the game depends much on me to clear the level. If I wanted I could basically just hide somewhere and watch the enemy soldier count drop to zero......
Old 09-20-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should only play single player to practice flying. Otherwise it is a complete waste of time.
Old 09-21-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got this game the other day. I really dig it but I have some lag issues. My ping says its about 40 but thats just fallacious. I also feel like my system should have more oomph (1.2 ghz, 256mb RAM, Geforce 2 Pro 64MB).

Are they going to address lag issues? I've been thinking I just might pick this thing up on XBOX when it comes out. It seems like it should be much more streamlined for the XBOX considering they know the exact specs and can concentrate on developing it for one hardware unit. I already planned on subscribing to XBOX Live anyway. But then again, a keyboard and mouse is my controller of choice for FPS games.
Old 09-21-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Lag also has to do with the server. Try to find a smaller one, and keep hopping around until you've found a decent one. I've had a lot of luck with the EA official servers...
Old 09-21-02, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, if your on a ship lag will show up more so then normal. try to stick with the lower number servers as the more folks.. the more lag.
Old 09-22-02, 01:09 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been playing BF1942 also since it's release. If you see Sgt. Slaughter on a server...then you've been killed by a DVDTalk reader.

I mostly play with about 2 to 5 other guys and we're all on Roger Wilco the whole time...we have a blast.
Old 09-22-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

if you want a game with me jumping in and out. the server IP is:

I'm in there with the handle [Z?]NNY