Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 lens cleaning

Old 09-16-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PS2 lens cleaning

Recently my Ps2 has been reading PS2 discs (namely CD based games) oddly. When I place the disc in the I hear a clunking sound like the laser is failing to read the disc. I took it to work with me today and according to one of my managers its reading the CD based games oddly because I dont have my PS2 vertical. As she suggested I placed it verticly and the disc reads fine. However she said it sounded like my laser needs a cleaning. The discs were reading fine but you could still hear the laser running back and forth rather quickly. So I ask you guys what would be the best method for cleaning the lens? Should I use a DVD lens cleaner? Any help would be appreciated.

-zero
Old 09-16-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just try a can of compressed air.
Old 09-16-02, 09:22 PM

I had a similar problem. Compressed air and lens cleaners didn't help it. Finally I had to take my PS2 apart and clean the lens with a Q-tip. Now it works like a charm when before it wouldn't read many DVDs or PS1 games. I don't recommend doing this unless you're pretty good at taking stuff apart and more importantly putting it back together, but it worked for me