Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Miyamoto says there will be at least one more installment of Mario and Zelda on GC!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Miyamoto says there will be at least one more installment of Mario and Zelda on GC!

Old 09-14-02, 02:00 PM
Retired

from planetgamecube:

"The most important part of the interview came when Miyamoto guaranteed that there would be at least one more installment of both the Mario and Zelda franchises on the GameCube, and that each of these titles will take their series in a new direction. "

This is great news. Mario Sunshine is probably my all time favorite game and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait 6 years for a proper sequel like last time.

And I can never get enough Zelda, perhaps this one will have the more realistic graphics seen in the old demo?
Old 09-14-02, 02:22 PM

Very good. They managed to give us two AAA Zelda titles for the N64, but only one Mario title.

Let's hope the next two games use the GBA link cable.
Old 09-14-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent news!
Old 09-14-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sweet ass! I'm loving Mario lately....infact, I was just humming the main song from the Original SMB
Old 09-14-02, 05:27 PM
Banned

I'd much rather have another Mario than another Zelda...
Old 09-14-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mike_AA
I'd much rather have another Mario than another Zelda...
Well your getting both.

Cool news.
Old 09-14-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't the first Zelda game actually come out before they say there's going to be "another" one?

How long does it usually take them to come out with a Mario or Zelda game? Does this possibly mean that they'll hang on to the GCN through 2005 and 2006 while Xbox and PS2 come out with the next generation systems in 2005?

This is cool news for the Mario thing. I think what Mike_AA said probably reflects what alot of Gamecube owners are thinking. Maybe the second Zelda game will go with the original design rather than the cell shaded look that peeved off alot of GCers.
Old 09-14-02, 06:55 PM

I'd rather have another Zelda than Mario.

I've got 111 shines and already I'm bored.
Old 09-14-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mattalos
I'd rather have another Zelda than Mario.

I've got 111 shines and already I'm bored.
I stand corrected.
Old 09-14-02, 07:51 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger

How long does it usually take them to come out with a Mario or Zelda game? Does this possibly mean that they'll hang on to the GCN through 2005 and 2006 while Xbox and PS2 come out with the next generation systems in 2005?
There were 2 Zeldas on the N64 which was their main system for five years (1996-2001) and 2 mario's for the SNES which was their main system for five years (1991-1996), so there's no reason to assume that the GC will be their main system for more than 5 years.

The PS3 will likely come out in 2005, five years after it's 2000 launch. The X-box 2 and Nintendo's next system (assuming both are still around next generation) will likely come out in 2006, 5 years after there 2001 launches.

Though MS may be willing to forgoe the normal 5 year life span in order to launch ahead of or at the same time as the PS2, but that would risk pissing off a lot of console gamers. The PC gaming X-box owners like you probably wouldn't even blink as you're used to buying new hardware more often than every 5 years, but the console only crowd is used to a company supporting there hardware for 5 years, and then putting out a new system.

I'd be mad as hell if Nintendo came out with a new system before 2006.
Old 09-14-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

wow, cool to hear.
Old 09-14-02, 08:09 PM

This is great news!! Can't wait for these new games,and the first of Zelda too. I havn't even finished Super Mario Sunshine yet (up to 75 shines) but its nice to know there's already another one that'll be on the sytem.
Old 09-14-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MS already announced they were coming out with Xbox2 in 2005.

NES - 1985 (6 years)
SNES - 1991 (5 years)
N64 - 1996 (5 years)
GCN - 2001 (2006 if 5 years, 2007 if 6 years)

I said they would probably keep it going through 2005 and 2006 which is most likely the case - if it's released in 2006, then it'll probably be around the 4th Quarter of 2006 so that'll be a whole year that Sony and Microsoft have on them. Sega's mistake was releasing systems too soon one after another... I don't think Nintendo would repeat that mistake. They've never really bothered to compete with other systems, they've just done their own thing. It doesn't look like they intend to compete with Sony and Microsoft in 2005, so you should be happy.
Old 09-14-02, 08:15 PM
Retired

Oh in that case, the slim chances of me picking up an X-box just dropped to zero. If they are only going to support it for 4 years screw them.

PC gamers are used to constant upgrades, I don't play games enough to drop $200-300 more than every 5 years per company.

I realize you were saying 2006-2007, you were just making it out like it was something different when 5-6 years has been the standard for Nintendo and Sony. MS is the one being different buy introducing a new system a year sooner than standard.
Old 09-14-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Oh in that case, the slim chances of me picking up an X-box just dropped to zero. If they are only going to support it for 4 years screw them.
The have no choice though. They are trying to knock Sony off the top. If they wait a year after the PS3 is released to release their new console they will just be repeating the same mistake they made the first time around.

Lets face it the Xbox is getting the hell beaten out of it by the PS2. You can't keep supporting a dying console for 5 years.

The Game Cube situation is totally different. Nintendo works in its only little market niche. What Sony and Microsoft do really won't impact them as long as their 1st party titles keep selling well.
Old 09-14-02, 08:44 PM
Banned

I've been pretty lazy and didn't really follow the Zelda (cell-shaded one) news...has this game been getting good buzz? I mean, I'm not impressed or thrilled with the graphics design, but is the game living up to Ocarina standards and with the rest of the series? If so, I can look past the whole cell-shaded thing....maybe.

Last edited by Mike_AA; 09-14-02 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-14-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PC gamers are used to constant upgrades, I don't play games enough to drop $200-300 more than every 5 years per company.

I realize you were saying 2006-2007, you were just making it out like it was something different when 5-6 years has been the standard for Nintendo and Sony. MS is the one being different buy introducing a new system a year sooner than standard.
I would've been surprised if you had bought an Xbox anyway... The Xbox 2 will be backwards compatible with the Xbox games out now, so you can always wait until that comes out... but then 5 years later the Xbox 3 will come out and you would want to wait for that too...

I was actually saying 2005-2006 which is 5 years - I never made it out like they were doing anything different than they had been. I'm just saying they won't be there when Xbox and Sony come out with a new one in 2005.

Originally posted by darkside
The have no choice though. They are trying to knock Sony off the top. If they wait a year after the PS3 is released to release their new console they will just be repeating the same mistake they made the first time around.

Lets face it the Xbox is getting the hell beaten out of it by the PS2. You can't keep supporting a dying console for 5 years.

The Game Cube situation is totally different. Nintendo works in its only little market niche. What Sony and Microsoft do really won't impact them as long as their 1st party titles keep selling well.
That's true - they can't afford to wait again. This will leave Nintendo in the proverbial dust alone this time supposedly. Then again - it's hard to imagine the next generation being as much of a phenomenon as it was this time.

I wouldn't say it's just the Xbox getting the "hell beaten out of them"... Nintendo isn't doing much better. 2nd place is just the first loser in this race.

When I suggested Nintendo loyals were niche I got yelled at. I didn't even mean it the same way you did.
Old 09-14-02, 08:50 PM
Retired

Mike, Zelda got great buzz at E3. Pretty much all the video game news people loved it. It got game of show in several publications lists.
Old 09-14-02, 09:01 PM

Bah.

Xbox2 is scheduled to hit when PS3 does.

However, I think Sony will try a sneak/early launch with the PS3 to put MS under pressure.

Josh, I hate it when a system fails to last 5 years too. However, if Nintendo wants to compete sales wise, they need to get it out the door with the others.
Old 09-14-02, 09:06 PM
Banned

Mike, Zelda got great buzz at E3. Pretty much all the video game news people loved it. It got game of show in several publications lists.
Fair enough...no explain to me why the hell this is Honestly, I'm right now going through IGN's movies and such and I am far from impressed. That in itself is not the way to totally judge a game, but I don't see the hype. And not to sound cliche or anything, but it looks like a 2 year olds game.
Old 09-14-02, 09:11 PM
Retired

Because gameplay is all that matters. They were impressed with the gameplay enough to look past the graphics, and in some cases the reviewers said they thought the game looked great in motion due to superb animation.

I'm not crazy about the graphics either, as I hate cel shaded graphics in general. But as long as it plays like Zelda, it won't hinder my enjoyment.

Jeff, I think Nintendo knows they won't catch sony and is content to continue bringing in record profits due to the GBA and selling millions of copies of their first party games. They don't have to match Sony's sales to be successful.
Old 09-14-02, 09:18 PM

Jeff, I think Nintendo knows they won't catch sony and is content to continue bringing in record profits due to the GBA and selling millions of copies of their first party games. They don't have to match Sony's sales to be successful.
No doubt. But everyone likes to make as much money as possible. Nintendo would love to be back on top. (I know you know this, just responding to let you know what I meant)
Old 09-14-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

more mario and zelda is good news indeed....

bring it on!
Old 09-14-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger

I wouldn't say it's just the Xbox getting the "hell beaten out of them"... Nintendo isn't doing much better. 2nd place is just the first loser in this race.

When I suggested Nintendo loyals were niche I got yelled at. I didn't even mean it the same way you did.
I never said the Game Cube wasn't getting pounded, because it is. Sony is dominating the market. However, Nintendo's attitude about it is totally different. I read their press releases and I just don't see a company that is trying to beat Sony. I'm sure they wouldn't complain if they did though.

MS wants to be number one, they want to beat Sony. They seem to be trying to create a very diverse catalog of games that appeal to a very wide audience (especially teens and adults) and beat the PS2 at its own game. They also want to push the limits of hardware and new avenues like online play. Microsoft has a very all or nothing attitude. They will either win in the end or lose billions.

Nintendo wants to make great first party games their own way with their very unique Nintendo style. They have some third party support and a few Mature games, but their focus is on staying true to the type of gameplay that has made them famous. If its means the games will look like cartoons so be it. They want games that a 5 year old or a 55 year old could play. They want to keep their console affordable and safe. They are not going to risk a lot of money on unsure ventures like online play.

Thats why I think they will be happy to ride the Cube until 2006. They figure their franchises will continue to sell well no matter if the PS3 and Xbox2 are all ready out because gameplay is their strength and Miyamoto's games will be great and sell well no matter what hardware is running them.

Will this work forever? I don't know. Maybe one day Nintendo will have to give up the hardware business and just make games on Xbox or Playstation. However, there is still a group of customers that Sony or Microsoft can not take away from Nintendo (people may have more than one console though). Thats their niche. As long as this group stays loyal to Nintendo as is large enough to be profitable Nintendo can stay in the console business.
Old 09-14-02, 11:09 PM
Banned

Gotta agree. Microsoft is in this 'til the end, with a pretty much neverending supply of money and resources. They are doing everything they can to beat Sony, and it's clearly obvious. With all the recent doings (getting Rare, going after other companies and announcing plans) I am even intrigued by the system now, much more than the PS2. Words I thought would never leave my mouth.

Nintendo is for the first time (well second I guess) not the leader in videogames. It used to be you owned a "Nintendo" when you owned any videogame system. Now it's a "Playstation". It's funny how those things change somehow. Nevertheless, the Cube will succeed as well as the N64 because Nintendo comes out (sometimes early, sometimes late) with quality and amazing franchises. In 2003, I'm sure we'll see some big surprises and big hits on the Cube that we've never heard of or didn't expect. It's just bound to happen.

And the important thing is a lot of gamers these days do own more than one system in each generation. I'm sure in the next year I'll pick up a XBOX or PS2 to add to my GC...as will many other gamers vice versa.

Anyways, sort of back to the topic, anoter Zelda and Mario game would greatly help the GC, as long as they don't arrive too late. However, that said, IMO Majora's Mask and Paper Mario (each's "sequel" on the N64) were very uninspiring and didn't sell nearly as well as their originals. So we shall see....

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.