Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega Realignment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
First of all, these sales numbers are from July and Crazy Taxi 3 had been out for only 2 weeks when this was compiled. JSRF did about as well as the original if not better. The Dreamcast game had crappy sales. Gunvalkry was just a crappy game - it got panned by the critics which usually will have something to do with low sales.

Soccer Slam wouldn't do well on any console because it's a soccer game. Soccer games ultimately do very poorly in the US. Americans don't like soccer... and outside of EA's FIFA games, no soccer game will sell in America. As for the rest of the sports games, the PS2 will sell more because there's 10x as many consoles out there... please note though that the sports titles didn't sell 10x as many copies for the PS2 as they did for the Xbox (they sold 10x as many copies as the GCN though). Xbox beats Gamecube on the sports titles though by selling twice as many copies or more (and there aren't twice as many Xboxes as there are Gamecubes). As far as ratios go - Sega sports games are doing better on the Xbox than any other console. That would be alot more meaningful if all 3 consoles had equal market saturation which they obviously don't.

Give the Xbox a Virtua Fighter or a Sonic game - something good that's guaranteed to sell well by name alone on any console and see what those numbers show.
Old 09-09-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Give the Xbox a Virtua Fighter or a Sonic game - something good that's guaranteed to sell well by name alone on any console and see what those numbers show. [/B]
Thats what I'm not sure about. Well I think Virtua Fighter would do good on the Xbox, but Sonic makes me wonder. If you look at the top selling Xbox games, most are Mature titles or stuff that appeals to adults. The Gamecube is kind of opposite. Monkey Ball is a good example. I wonder if that game would have done anything on the Xbox.

I don't know for sure of course. Maybe when Blinx comes out we can get a better idea for the appeal of these types of games to Xbox owners.

My point is I think Sega needs to keep itself split. Sonic could work on any console because of the name, but other stuff would probably be best split among the three. Shenmue for instance just sounds like something better put on the Xbox and Monkey Ball seems better suited for the Game Cube. Maybe I'm crazy.
Old 09-09-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im sticking with the Cube version of Sonic purely for the GBA link. That rawked!
Old 09-09-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Thats what I'm not sure about. Well I think Virtua Fighter would do good on the Xbox, but Sonic makes me wonder. If you look at the top selling Xbox games, most are Mature titles or stuff that appeals to adults. The Gamecube is kind of opposite. Monkey Ball is a good example. I wonder if that game would have done anything on the Xbox.
Quality mature titles sell well on the GC. Mature titles such as Eternal Darkness and RE.

[b]I think you will find that many Nintendo fans are willing to play a quality title regardless of demographics. [b/]Where as a large portion of Xbox owners are afraid of games that might appear chidish, no matter the fun factor.

I can show my friends countless reviews of how great Mario Sunshine is or SMB and they will refuse even try it. It's insane how they allow their perceptions to prevent them from having a good time.
Old 09-09-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally posted by jeffdsmith

I can show my friends countless reviews of how great Mario Sunshine is or SMB and they will refuse even try it. It's insane how they allow their perceptions to prevent them from having a good time.
Sadly, I am guilty of this as well. I've always stayed away from the 'kiddie' titles, no matter how much I hear about them. This was true with the N64/Playstation duel...My friend bought an N64, I watched the Mario game for a couple minutes and said "Yeah, it looks OK, but can you kill anything? Why does everything look so "happy""? Then when Mario Cart came out, I said "Why?? Why have a decent driving game with lame-ass nintendo characters drving them?".

For Christ's sake Nintendo, try making an original game without Mario characters!!

...just my opinion...
Old 09-09-02, 12:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
For Christ's sake Nintendo, try making an original game without Mario characters!!
Like Pikmin?

Last edited by Groucho; 09-09-02 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-09-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if the reason Sega Sports titles sell so poorly on GCN or Xbox is because people already own it on PS2?

Until Sega can turn WSB into a Madden caliber title I couldn't care less about their sports games.
Old 09-09-02, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
Sadly, I am guilty of this as well. I've always stayed away from the 'kiddie' titles, no matter how much I hear about them. This was true with the N64/Playstation duel...My friend bought an N64, I watched the Mario game for a couple minutes and said "Yeah, it looks OK, but can you kill anything? Why does everything look so "happy""?

...just my opinion...
Thanks for being honest, you are certainly welcome to your opinion of Nintendo's choices.

For me it's just a perplexing subject. I did not mean to get OT, merely responding.
Old 09-09-02, 12:45 PM
Retired

Sports gamers tend to be more casual gamers, and are more likely to own a PS2 than the other system. Hard core gamers that like sports games, and own more than one system will be more likely to buy it for the X-box, because they do their research and know that the games generally look better on the X-box, and they don't have to worry about memory cards because of the hard drive. The mem card is a killer for the GCN. I bought NCAA 2003 for the PS2, when I would have prefered the GCN version just because I would of had to of bought a MEM 251 card to save anything.

Of course that is just a generalization based on a survey I saw somewhere (majority of sports gamers classified as casual by the number of games they buy a year) and the latter just a personal observation. But it does explain why you see the most sports sales on the PS2 and the least on the GCN.
Old 09-09-02, 02:26 PM

I have all 3 systems. I think sega should stay 3rd party. This way they get the most exposure.

a complete kick in the head, and probably would never happen fanboy wish: Sega stays 3rd party for a few years, puts out high quality games for all systems that gets a huge fanbase.
then they get back into the hardware business and go exsculsive once more for their own hardware. now that they have a larger market (more people know what great games sega makes) they crave them in their sleep and will buy the new sega system, making sega profitable!!.
and then I flood the worlds sewers system with chocolate pudding! pudding overflowing everywhere!! muahhahahha

...ok uhm yeah that last part is my own take-over-the-world plot. but the rest of it.... its a sega fangirl wish come true.
of course it would never happen...

my 2.2 cents
Old 09-09-02, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
[B]Where as a large portion of Xbox owners are afraid of games that might appear chidish, no matter the fun factor.

I don't know if that's true. I don't doubt there are some Xbox owners who steer clear of games with childish graphics/themes but I think saying that a large portion do might be a stretch. I own all three consoles and happen to own and enjoy Super Mario Sunshine. However, I can understand if someone can't enjoy a game with childish graphics. Perhaps the problem is in your assumption that Mario's gameplay is inherently fun. I find it fun but my best friend finds the gameplay to be boring and frustrating. He may be in the minority but it is possible for people to dislike Mario for it's gameplay.
Old 09-09-02, 05:14 PM
Retired

It's definitely possible for people to dislike Mario's gameplay. However, tons of people on this site, and especially on other boards, just dismiss the game (and most nintendo games) for the childish graphics.

I don't know if I'd say most X-box owners do this. I would say that they are more likely than the owners of the Gamecube or PS2 to write off a game simply for having "kiddy" graphics simply because the x-box is geared more toward realistic, mature games. Thus someone that bought one is more likely to not enjoy games with "kiddy" graphics. It's still probably not a majority, but just a larger percentage when compared to people that don't own an X-box.

So from that stand point, it's reasonable to assume that games like mario, sonic, super monkey ball, etc. wouldn't sell as well on the X-box, and as a result sega would be better either staying third party, or joining up with Nintendo or Sony, so as to have a larger audience for their "kiddy" games.

Of course, there's no real way to tell for sure how "kiddy" games will sell on the X-box until one is released, so this is nothing more than my take on the situation.
Old 09-09-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think that Sony sells more sports titles simply because there are more PS2s out there. If you look at the proportions - Xbox is doing better than the other two in sports titles. Let's look at the ratios:

These numbers are very fudgy, but not too far off.

PS2 - 30 million consoles - NBA 2K2 369,955 - 1.2%
Xbox - 4 million consoles - NBA 2K2 86,708 - 2.1%
GCN - 4 million consoles - NBA 2K2 45,098 - 1.1%

Sports titles are doing a helluva lot better on the Xbox as far as ratios are concerned... outselling both Gamecube and PS2 two to one. If there were only 4 million PS2s, their sports title sales for that game would be somewhere around Gamecubes. Now, this may mean nothing and it may mean everything.

As for kid's games or whatever - I'm really excited for Blinx. There have been family oriented games on the Xbox since launch - the Xbox has a very balanced lineup.
Old 09-09-02, 05:23 PM
Retired

Of course the PS2 sells more sports games because there are more PS2s out there.

There are more casual gamers than hardcore gamers, and they own the PS2 more than any other system (obviously or there wouldn't be such a huge disparity in sells.

The survey I refered to said that the majority of sports gamers (sports their favorite genre of games) were casual gamers, and that most of them owned a PS2.

So it's not just the sales disparity that leads to more sports sells, but also that people that prefer sports games over all other games are more likely to own a PS2, which means there's a bigger market for sports games on the PS2 for reasons beyond simply having a ton more consoles in homes.

Of course, sports gamers should wise up and get an X-box instead as it is far and away the best platform for sports, but casual gamers (who make up the majority of sports gamers) generally don't put the time into doing research to find out more about the systems. They just go buy brand name, most games on the shelves, what their friends have, etc. which pushes them toward the PS2.
Old 09-09-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need to drop this whole casual gamer/hardcore gamer thing - it's meaningless. If what you are saying actually meant something, then the sports title sales for the PS2 would be much higher. More people have a PS2 because it has been out for a year longer than the other 2 systems and had a better lineup of games for last Xmas than the launch titles of the other 2 systems and because it's a backwards compatible sequel system. You're overanalyzing it with all this hardcore/softcore stuff and "what's the gamer thinking?" stuff. The numbers are all proportional (PS2 has an advantage in sheer volume and Xbox has a ratio advantage) and don't really tell us anything.
Old 09-09-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trigger, I appreciate that you're trying to get more analytical in this discussion by calculating the market penetration for NBA 2K2 in each of its respective markets, but I must respectfully suggest that the numbers you present there have little meaning.

Mainly, the problem is that the margin of error for the calculations you're making far overwhelm the differences in the numbers themselves. But also, I believe the installed base numbers that are relevant are the ones that were accurate at the time NBA 2K2 launched, not what they are now. And finally, your analysis doesn't factor in the competitive situation in each market. It may be that NB2K2 didn't do as well for one console or another because there was another similar title available on that console that was far superior.

Again, like I said, I appreciate that unlike others who are merely blowing smoke and make no attempt at substantiating their claims, you are at least trying to provide some support for your argument. Unfortunately, in order for such analysis to be meaningful, your methodology must be much more rigorous.
Old 09-09-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NBA2K2 came out what 2 months after Inside Drive? By then how many basketball fans already grabbed Inside? But all things being equal belboz is still right a less than 1% difference when your talking about millions of consoles could very well be a statisticaly anomaly.
Old 09-09-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks - I did admit that the numbers were fudgy, but I don't think going back a few months for console depth will make a huge difference in the percentages. I also admitted that the numbers weren't all that meaningful - I don't think the sales data is very meaningful as I've stated before as well.

I've tried to debunk all the speculations about those sales numbers because they aren't telling - the only numbers that would be telling would be Sega games that were released across all platforms and then you bring up an excellent point that debunks that - similar games for each console coming out and stealing sales away from the Sega game. That's a factor of course and maybe Sega is considering going to a console with less competition.

We're all just speculating here about something we don't even know to be true yet. I agree that my comparisons aren't completely accurate and they don't carry much weight, but I think it's one of the most factual argument brought up so far in this discussion... meaning we aren't going to figure this one out by ourselves either.
Old 09-09-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
NBA2K2 came out what 2 months after Inside Drive? By then how many basketball fans already grabbed Inside? But all things being equal belboz is still right a less than 1% difference when your talking about millions of consoles could very well be a statisticaly anomaly.
Maybe it means something and maybe it doesn't... 1% difference doesn't sound like alot, but if you're Sega and you're looking at 1% sales on the PS2 and the Gamecube and 2% sales on the Xbox - that might cause for an eyebrow or two to raise. It's likely to be something Sega is taking into account. This is all just 'seed of doubt' at this point and I'm not saying I know something nobody else does. I'm actually saying that none of us know anything.
Old 09-09-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
maybe Sega is considering going to a console with less competition.
And for some odd reason MS announces their 1st party Basketball game wont be online this year. Grist for the rumor mill?
Old 09-09-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like sports games anyway.
Old 09-09-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Old 09-10-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't imagine Sega would look at perecentages over actual units moved. The Xbox is never going to catch up to the PS2, so saddling themselves to the Xbox soley because they sell twice as many per console doesn't make much sense.

I'm also not convinced that Sega has as much of an effect on the VG market anymore as some people would like to think.
Old 09-10-02, 01:43 PM
Retired

Yeah percentages don't mean crap. They make profit per unit. A smaller percentage on the PS2 is still going to be more units sold than a slightly higher percentage on the GCN or X-box.
Old 09-10-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah percentages don't mean crap. They make profit per unit. A smaller percentage on the PS2 is still going to be more units sold than a slightly higher percentage on the GCN or X-box.
Percentages mean a helluva lot more than hardcore and softcore gamers or whatever argument you were pushing... and by the way - duh - I said that PS2 sold more units.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.