Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This game is going to be released on Sep. 2th or 3th
Old 08-29-02, 08:36 AM

This game is available now for Xbox.
Old 08-29-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turok looks amazing! I'm playing Mario now...so I have no time to play another game. College starts once again Sept 3 (damn that's near) so that will drain the rest of my day. I'll endup picking this game up sometime later this year. Man my Gamecube is going to be hot this year. Nintendo finally has a awesome line up! Great stuff this Fall!
Old 08-29-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a huge fan of the original Turok for N64, it was going up against quake at the time. I enjoyed Turok better then quake believe it or not. The series kind of lost it's roots after that...

However, they are claiming that they are going back to their roots for this game. I will for sure be trying it out, I'll either get it for GC or Xbox, whatever loads faster and is cheaper.

Something else to think about though is the soon release of Timesplitters2 on all systems, I think it's going to clean house. Hopefully Turok will have a strong 1 player mode, because I don't see it standing up to TS2 in multiplayer.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 08-29-02 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-29-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
As someone who's played just about every FPS game out there including Turok and Timesplitters 2 - I can say that Timesplitters 2 is lame and Turok isn't quite as lame as it used to be, but it's still a bit lame. Compared to the original games these titles are both somewhat improved, so anyone who liked the original Timesplitters and Turok will probably be a bit impressed here. Fans of more sophisticated FPS should probably give these a rental before committing the $$.
Old 08-29-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
As someone who's played just about every FPS game out there including Turok and Timesplitters 2 - I can say that Timesplitters 2 is lame and Turok isn't quite as lame as it used to be, but it's still a bit lame. Compared to the original games these titles are both somewhat improved, so anyone who liked the original Timesplitters and Turok will probably be a bit impressed here. Fans of more sophisticated FPS should probably give these a rental before committing the $$.
You've already played TS2? Or did you mean the original TS? I know this second version is a lare improvment over the original.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 08-29-02 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-29-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played TS2 at E3 and it was admittedly better than the demo they had in OXM 10, but it still stunk IMO. Those who have never played FPS games on the PC might like it. This one is better than the original, but that's not saying much.
Old 08-30-02, 01:49 AM

Hehhehe, if this Turok has multiplayer as wild as Turok: Rage Wars' multiplayer, then it is a must have.

OH man, the fun I had with Rage Wars.
Old 08-30-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got an early copy of turok on PS2, the pop up is awful! Small plants would pop up 2 feet from my character. Played the Xbox version today, no pop up, and played alot better too. My Xbox has spoiled me.
Old 08-30-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh yeah, and Turok is in stores (gamestop) now!
Old 08-30-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in Gamestop yesterday and saw that they had a bunch of them... They had slit open all the cases and removed the discs. So when I buy a game from them, are they going to give me a new copy or do they just pop a disc back in one of the open cases? I consider that a used game. If it's open, it's used. I'm not paying full price for a used game. That's retarded for them to open the game boxes. If theft is such a problem, they should get a security system that works. Bah - I guess I'm just mad cuz I went to buy Mafia and nobody would sell it to me for 39 bucks.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting Turok for the Xbox... I didn't have enough time with it at E3 to make an informed decision. I'll have to rent it I guess.
Old 08-30-02, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does Turok support SYSTEM LINK on the XBOX?????

Also, does anyone know when it will be released at MediaPlay or any of there associated stores??? (I have a $40 gift card burning a hole in my pocket???

Thanx
Old 08-30-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wal-Mart had copies when I was there on Thursday. I'm waiting to see some reviews before I buy. I'm not sure what the big secret is. For most games there would be several reviews by now....
Old 08-30-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I was in Gamestop yesterday and saw that they had a bunch of them... They had slit open all the cases and removed the discs. So when I buy a game from them, are they going to give me a new copy or do they just pop a disc back in one of the open cases? I consider that a used game. If it's open, it's used. I'm not paying full price for a used game. That's retarded for them to open the game boxes. If theft is such a problem, they should get a security system that works. Bah - I guess I'm just mad cuz I went to buy Mafia and nobody would sell it to me for 39 bucks.

I'm really toying with the idea of getting Turok for the Xbox... I didn't have enough time with it at E3 to make an informed decision. I'll have to rent it I guess.

Just wait til you find out they let employees rent new games!
Old 08-30-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to IGN Cube editor Fran Mirabella:
For those of you wondering about the framerate for the various versions of Turok, it's surprising, but the GameCube has the best framerate. It hits 60 quite a bit actually, though it does chug often and drop to 30. It varies from level to level.

The Xbox on the other hand will only offer up 60 FPS on rare occassions. The Xbox version is mostly 30 FPS and just below. The advantage to the Xbox version is crisper texture work, but it's not vastly improved or anything. It has a softer look overall, too.

That said, I'm playing the GameCube version as it runs better.
source: IGN Boards
Old 08-30-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
(from Fran Mirrabella courtesy of CreatureX):For those of you wondering about the framerate for the various versions of Turok, it's surprising, but the GameCube has the best framerate. It hits 60 quite a bit actually, though it does chug often and drop to 30. It varies from level to level.

The Xbox on the other hand will only offer up 60 FPS on rare occassions. The Xbox version is mostly 30 FPS and just below. The advantage to the Xbox version is crisper texture work, but it's not vastly improved or anything. It has a softer look overall, too.
That's really not too surprising to me. I guess they figured with the XBox they had to beef up the textures a little (maybe so screenshots look better), but that slows it down some. They figured the GC version didn't have to look much better than the PS2. The GC gives the engine a little more breathing room than the PS2. Am I making any sense?
Old 08-31-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts
Well, I got a copy yesterday. I am no game connoisseur by any means but I have had fun playing it so far. I am playing the Xbox version.

The graphics are pretty good & it is quite enjoyable to feel like you are in a living, breathing prehistoric jungle. The bushes shake when you walk past them (or over them) & the animals ramble around. When startled, they run in a circle or run away, etc. You can kill every animal friendly or not. I shot a beautiful parrot sitting on a limb. Feathers & blood went everywhere. (My wife was watching & got pissed...saying I should not be able to explode a bird.)

I am only a chapter 3 & the AI does not seem to be very intelligent so far (especially in the first chapter). You can kill a guy when sneaking up on him & his neighbor standing next to him doesn't even act like anything happened. This did change some in Chapter 3 though. The kill graphics are pretty cool. It is nice to see when you shoot someones arm off that they will try to still attack you or run away & do not die instantly.

The 5.1 sound is awesome. It is a big reason how you can get immersed in sneaking around the jungle. There is a flying level early on & once I got used to the flying controls, I had a lot of fun. There are generous save points so you don't have to go back & go over a ton of territory which is nice.

Haven't tried the multiplayer yet but plan to do that on Monday. No system link & so only up to 4 people can play on it. So far I am pleased. Will be playing on it a lot more over the weekend (after college football).
Old 08-31-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NO SYSTEM LINK?!?!?! Blasphemy.....guess i will boycott this game now too. What are game makers thinking making a multiplayer game that will not support system link at the very least..............
Old 08-31-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the game and it looks great!!!

I wish it was cooperative play like Halo but it OK. The game has multiplayer and it's fun!
Old 08-31-02, 08:01 PM
Retired

System link might take a good bit of work to implement and is a feature that's not used all that often, so they might have scrapped it for that reason.

I mean not many people are willing to lug systems and TVs around to play games.
Old 09-01-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I mean not many people are willing to lug systems and TVs around to play games.
Hmm...how many times have you or people you know played with the Xbox system link with Halo or Nascar?

If you have, then you would know plenty of people who have no problem "lugging" a system & TV to one place. I have friends who practically beg me to do it all the time and the only negative is getting everyone together in the same place at the same time.
Old 09-01-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
just wanted to add a comment on Turok: Evolution. Rented the Xbox version and hafta so - the framerate is really solid, dunno either they tweaked the hell out of it or removed something because it's running really nicely. Only on chapter 3 right now, but gotta say they did good progression. Chapter 1 is short and sweet "getting acquanted to the controls" type of level, followed by Chap 2's flying, Chapter 3 the game really seems to kick it into gear, giving you large open fields and loads of enemies. Is a little odd though since Chap 1 and 2 have saving sections ever few seconds whereas they're pretty far apart in 3.

Hope the game keeps it up, I'm actually enjoying it quite a deal more than Halo single player (loved Halo in co-op but never really liked the single.)

Oh yeah, and it looks great in 480p, sounds great in 5.1.
Old 09-01-02, 02:32 PM
Retired

I didn't say system links were not used at all, just not all that much. Especially by casual gamers who make up the vast majority of the gaming market. Most casual gamers probably don't even know about the feature, and would probably have difficulty hooking everything up even if they got motivated to get a bunch of people and some tvs and x-boxes all crammed into one room. It's just too much of a hassle for most people, and really only for hardcore gamers, so that's likely why some developers don't bother with it. It really isn't going to help sell a bunch of games, which is really all they care about.
Old 09-01-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh, for the most part I agree with you. System link is not a make or break with me at all. I really have enjoyed it on Halo but with online console gaming coming, I see the system link feature probably being utilized even more sparingly than it already has been which is sad. If you haven't tried it, it is hard to explain the sheer joy of Halo with more than one Xbox. It is just something completely different from playing online.

You can consider me a casual gamer as are all my friends though & all have enjoyed the link. I really believe that if more people tried it, it would catch on better. If the link would get some more support, that might happen (and also if the Xbox got more support).
Old 09-01-02, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anybody else compared the Cube vs Box versions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.