Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario and Starfox and EB and Gamespot

Old 08-13-02, 10:07 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,865
Mario and Starfox and EB and Gamespot

Went to EB and Gamespot yesterday at a local mall. Both had the July 2002 demo disc for the GC, which features playable versions of Starfox Adventures AND Super Mario Sunshine, as well as video's for Metroid and some other games.

After playing Mario for just a couple minutes I was really glad I pre-ordered it. However, I'm just not sure about Starfox yet. I guess I was looking for more action or something. It just seemed really slow to me. Also seemed like there wasn't a whole lot to it. I'll prob play it again before I make any sort of decision there.

Metroid looked kick ass btw.
Zodo is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 10:16 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 4,956
I played both at EB the other day. Mario was a gem. Star Fox looked good, but I have to agree that there was no action in the sequences I played. I was also dissapointed that the graphics, although crisp and colorful, didn't look very complex.
mmconhea is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 10:42 AM
  #3  
Cat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 993
I wasn't too impressed with StarFox either, but I only played it for a brief bit. Mario was everything I expected it to be and made me realize the wait is driving me nuts! I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Cat
Cat is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 10:47 AM
  #4  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
I just wish Nintendo would distribute their demo discs with their magazine.
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 11:45 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 4,956
Originally posted by Groucho
I just wish Nintendo would distribute their demo discs with their magazine.
Or at least one of those cheesy promo videos like back in the n64 days.
mmconhea is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 12:33 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,865
That's interesting that others are feeling the same way about Starfox. I wonder if it just takes a while to get into it or what...

There's plenty of other incredible games coming out this 4th quarter though, so I won't be too disappointed if SF ends up being bad.
Zodo is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 12:36 PM
  #7  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Isn't Starfox Adventures a bit like the Zelda 64 games? If that's the case, I could understand why a demo doesn't do it justice. It takes a while to get into games like that.
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 01:33 PM
  #8  
Shawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Originally posted by Cat
I wasn't too impressed with StarFox either, but I only played it for a brief bit. Mario was everything I expected it to be and made me realize the wait is driving me nuts! I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Cat
Only two weeks left.
 
Old 08-13-02, 03:35 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Edwardsville, IL, USA
Posts: 1,278
Re: Mario and Starfox and EB and Gamespot

Originally posted by Zodo
Went to EB and Gamespot yesterday at a local mall. Both had the July 2002 demo disc for the GC, which features playable versions of Starfox Adventures AND Super Mario Sunshine, as well as video's for Metroid and some other games.

After playing Mario for just a couple minutes I was really glad I pre-ordered it. However, I'm just not sure about Starfox yet. I guess I was looking for more action or something. It just seemed really slow to me. Also seemed like there wasn't a whole lot to it. I'll prob play it again before I make any sort of decision there.

Metroid looked kick ass btw.
Is "Gamespot" the same thing as Gamestop? If so, there's one in the local mall I could stop in and check em out.
Cornfed is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 05:49 PM
  #10  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
I think he meant Gamestop. Gamespot is a video game news and review website.

Went to see for myself at my EB. Saw like 2 seconds of Super Mario Sunshine before two kids hogged the console. They played Super Monkey Ball 2 which got me salivating for that game. I'll try again another day for a look at Starfox Adventures.
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 05:57 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Banging your mother
Posts: 18,386
Originally posted by Groucho
I just wish Nintendo would distribute their demo discs with their magazine.
So do I. Alot.
joltaddict is offline  
Old 08-13-02, 09:57 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Edison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: KS
Posts: 2,231
Hmmm. I seen the new demo disk today at EB and whats the first thing I play? Beach Spikers great graphics, still trying to decide if the controls were sluggish although it could have been the camera angle, it sucked at times. When you win a match the girls hug, hmm... maybe I should wait for DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball.

I also played a bit of Super Mario it looks great glad it's preordered, will be buying SMB2 also so I didn't look at it that was about the time the little girl came up and kicked me in the shin so she could play.
Edison is offline  
Old 08-14-02, 02:15 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rialto, CA
Posts: 5,416
Originally posted by Edison
Hmmm. I seen the new demo disk today at EB and whats the first thing I play? Beach Spikers great graphics, still trying to decide if the controls were sluggish although it could have been the camera angle, it sucked at times. When you win a match the girls hug, hmm... maybe I should wait for DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball.

I also played a bit of Super Mario it looks great glad it's preordered, will be buying SMB2 also so I didn't look at it that was about the time the little girl came up and kicked me in the shin so she could play.


I almost did that to some of the people in the Nintendo booth and E3.
zero is offline  
Old 08-14-02, 03:03 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,935
Star Fox was boring. Mario was good, same gameplay as Mario 64 as everyone has said. Metroid Prime was blah...I liked Goldeneye more than Perfect Dark so maybe that's why.
matrixrok9 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.