Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

BGA to TV adapter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
BGA to TV adapter...

http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...5999873ab0a703

Saw this on liksang and wondered if anyone knew of something similar for NTSC people here in the states. Seems like a great idea. Can't imagine why Nintendo is dropping the ball on things like this and the Afterburner. They must hate money

Anyway, with such thing, I could sell some of my SNES games.

Anyone?
Old 07-31-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Mods, please edit the title to GBA instead of BGA. at me
Old 07-31-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think Nintendo would ever sell a product that requires you to take apart your GBA to install.
Old 07-31-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Kellehair
I don't think Nintendo would ever sell a product that requires you to take apart your GBA to install.
Agreed. Makes me wonder if they never thought that this type of thing might be nice to have. The could have put an extra slot somewhere, or maybe something could go in the Link slot or in the game slot, similar to using it as a control on the Gamecube.
Old 07-31-02, 08:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They went with no backlight to save battery life and likely had no plans to make an accessory like the Afterburner so they didn't put in any slots for something like it.

The rumor section of the newest EGM says Nintendo will release a backlit GBA in 2003, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Personally, I have no problems seeing the screen with a Pelican Light Shield Advance. I play in bed in the dark with just it a lot to get sleepy, and have no problems.
Old 07-31-02, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
They went with no backlight to save battery life and likely had no plans to make an accessory like the Afterburner so they didn't put in any slots for something like it.

The rumor section of the newest EGM says Nintendo will release a backlit GBA in 2003, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Personally, I have no problems seeing the screen with a Pelican Light Shield Advance. I play in bed in the dark with just it a lot to get sleepy, and have no problems.
I think that if they wanted to preserve battery life they wouldn't have made a worm light either. They take the same battery life. They probably put zero R&D into it. I just don't like the light shields or other lights. The light is "inconsistant" for me.

I could see them releasing one. They went through a dozen GBs just for fun, and many people bought more than one.

Hopefully they come out with one with RCA jacks
Old 07-31-02, 08:29 PM
Retired

The worm lights made my Nyko, not nintendo.
Old 07-31-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The worm lights made my Nyko, not nintendo.
I know, the point I was trying to make is that they made a port for a device to suck battery life.
Old 07-31-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know, the point I was trying to make is that they made a port for a device to suck battery life.
The port is for the link cable isn't it ... 3rd parties just take advantage of it & allow pass through to the cable, correct
Old 07-31-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If Nintendo doesn't have anything like this or didn't design the GBA for something like this - how do they have all those displays in stores with the GBA hooked up to a bigger monitor and you can see what you're doing on both the little screen and the big one? No soldering involved - sounds like kinda a cool thing. Plus it makes the GBA fit your hand better.
Old 07-31-02, 10:39 PM
Retired

Yep, that ports for the link cable and the GBA/GCN cable. Nintendo didn't put it their specifially for lights.
Old 07-31-02, 11:18 PM

They do have an NTSc version. I bought one off of Lik-sang a few months ago. It's pretty good, but the adapter does get really overheated pretty quickly. Long play didn't kill the system, but I was afraid the AC adapter would have melted cause it was so hot. So far, it still works. No matter what color system you have, you have to replace the back of the GBA with a semi clear white case to allow for an extra port. Installation wasn't too bad, took me about 45 minutes. Seemed much easier then it would to install an Afterburner.

As for the quality, it varies between games. Basically, it takes the exact onscreen display and blows it ups. So you'll end up with a blurry picture no matter what. It's not like those instore displays and acts like the old Super Gameboy. If you're going to be playing a FPS or something with a lot of Mode 7 scaling then the games will look really ugly. Doom and Ecks Vs. Sever are almost headache inducing. However, 2D games fair much better. Again don't expect to get an SNES level of display when playing Super Mario World due to the blown up image, but it's better then nothing especially if you don't have an Afterburner. To help there is two sizes to view the game. The kind of size that resembles the old Super Gameboy size minus the border and a full screen mode. The full screen mode blows the image up too much and really loses detail. For a search for better results I hooked it up my Gamecube Mobile Monitor hoping to regain more detail. Curiously enough even with the smaller screen of the Mobile Monitor the game looked nearly identical as it did on my 27" flat screen t.v.

Personally, I don't use the thing much. It depends on the game. For GBC games it works really well, but anything with polygons, Mode 7, etc. is not advised.

On a scale of 1-10 i'll give it a 6.5. It works for what it set out to do, just don't expect it to replace the actual GBC screen.
Old 07-31-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Trigger
If Nintendo doesn't have anything like this or didn't design the GBA for something like this - how do they have all those displays in stores with the GBA hooked up to a bigger monitor and you can see what you're doing on both the little screen and the big one? No soldering involved - sounds like kinda a cool thing. Plus it makes the GBA fit your hand better.
word, Word, WORD!!! How do they do in for the in store displays? Does Deftones know? That's what I want. I NEED IT.
Old 07-31-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.eagb.net/advance/hr25.html

Well here is one that is probably what you have. I still want the in store display model.