Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Good article about Nintendo's mistakes, or lack of them...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-30-02, 02:09 PM
Banned

Check out this article at Xengamers..

Pretty good editorial on Nintendo following the same mistakes again...

http://www.xengamers.com/sections/columns/8129/

-Jim
Old 07-30-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great article... only thing they left out was the reason why 3rd parties tend to leave Nintendo alone. They lost alot of 3rd party support because they were the only console to charge 3rd party developers money for manufacturing the game cartridges and not allow other companies to produce their own cartridges. That's why they continued to use the cartridge with the N64 after it was clear that the disc was cheaper and the better way to go... they wanted to be able to control manufacturing and squeeze out that extra revenue. Of course, that's not the only reason developers leave Nintendo, but it was a biggie back in the day. There was a time when their console was the clear leader and developers would put up with it because they wanted to sell games and other consoles weren't doing squat in terms of being in households. I also think that this is why Nintendo went with a mini-DVD and called it something else (can't think of what they call it) - so they can once again maintain control of production... I could be wrong on that part - it's just speculation... but I don't think the GC would've been all that much bigger (if bigger at all) in size had they gone with standard media. I do know that Resident Evil would've fit on one disc.
Old 07-30-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully Nintendo will become a software only company like Sega. Nintendo produces the most AAA titles of any game company, the only problem is the system won't have anywhere near the software library of the PS2. I have a gamecube and it pretty much functions as my third console. I only bought it have access to the first party titles.
Old 07-30-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

X-box has 80 games, and GameCube has 50...30 games difference...wow...now how many of those 80 games are crap? Now, how m,any of those 50 GC games are crap? Hmm...
Old 07-30-02, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
X-box has 80 games, and GameCube has 50...30 games difference...wow...now how many of those 80 games are crap? Now, how m,any of those 50 GC games are crap? Hmm...
Well, I've got both consoles and I'd say there is plenty of crap on both of them. I'd still rather have the bigger selection to choose from. In the course of getting more good games on a system, you have to accept that there will naturally be more bad games on it as well.
Old 07-30-02, 04:41 PM
zig

3rd party suport - They more than survived with the n64, from what I hear it was a very profitable system. To tell you the truth, the only games I want for any console are Nintendo games, with maybe 4 or 5 exceptions. Of course that's just me.

Online console gaming - completely overrated. The only way Nintendo will get hurt by not having a big online plan is hurting their image. Online gaming on the PC has been around for a long time, and yet offline games are still more popular. Most console gamers don't want to mess around with getting online, so I think it will be even less popular for consoles. The xbox sounds like it has the most difficult to set up online play because not only do you have to have broadband, but you have to set up a mini-network if you want to have your PC and xbox connected. The online hype is coming from a very vocal minority that want online console gaming, in my opinion.

How they treat journalists - who cares?

The rest of the article all sounds like praise disguised as criticism to me.
Old 07-30-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really see Nintendo making mistakes. There's nothing they can do if Sony and M$ buy more 3rd party titles than they can. There's nothing they can do if Rare decides to leave. This guy says they're not making enough games but they've already made a lot and there's plenty of good ones on the way. Plus, Nintendo is the only company not making a mistake when it comes to online play. This guy believes in online play way too much.

Nintendo gets Resident Evil, Capcom's (literal) rehash of early RE titles with visual upgrades
Does this guy even know anything about Nintendo? RE was anything but a rehash. Plus there's 2 more exclusive RE's on the way.
Old 07-30-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I disagree with all of you except for Tamrok and ten41 with whom I completely agree.
Old 07-30-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fzero man, fzero

i wish i could see the ign preview
stupid insiders
Old 07-30-02, 05:47 PM
zig

Just like all IGN previews, they don't say much at all, just a lot of fluff and information that is already known everywhere.
Old 07-30-02, 05:56 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I love when people pull speculation out of their arse.

My information comes from the stats section of Gamerankings.com, a site that averages all available reviews for each game. For this study, I will consider a good game to be 80% or above. The rest is crap.

Out of the 57 reviewed Gamecube games that have been released in the U.S., 17 of them rank 80% or above. That comes to 29.8%.

Out of the 85 reviewed XBox games that have been released in the U.S., 25 of them rank 80% or above. That comes to 29.4%.

In other words, support for your opinion is based on less than a half of a percent. Enjoy!
Old 07-30-02, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Flay

I love when people pull speculation out of their arse.

My information comes from the stats section of Gamerankings.com, a site that averages all available reviews for each game. For this study, I will consider a good game to be 80% or above. The rest is crap.

Out of the 57 reviewed Gamecube games that have been released in the U.S., 17 of them rank 80% or above. That comes to 29.8%.

Out of the 85 reviewed XBox games that have been released in the U.S., 25 of them rank 80% or above. That comes to 29.4%.

In other words, support for your opinion is based on less than a half of a percent. Enjoy!
And don't forget that based strictly on the number of "good" games available, there are apparently 25 "good" games on Xbox compared to 17 on Gamecube. That kind of puts a dent in the tired, old "it's quality, not quantity" argument often used to defend the lack of 3rd party support on Nintendo systems. As much as I love Nintendo's first party games, I sometimes think it would be better if they did go third party in the future (although I doubt they will) so I could save some money by only having to buy the PS3 and Xbox 2. Of course, that would reduce competition which isn't good in the long run.

Last edited by Tamrok; 07-30-02 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-30-02, 06:13 PM
Banned

I think the point is that they are losing alot of their power to continue to make game systems..

Alot of their properties and games are outsourced to other people to make it for them (Sega and F-Zero for example) and their 2nd parties... If rare jumps ship, that would be really bad, and they probably couldn't make another system after Gamecube..

Along with this, in the "rumors" section of OXM #10, they say that the current PResident of Nintendo favors going the way of SEGA and not making another console, and that by 2005, a Miyamoto game will be on Xbox.

Of course, that is the OXM rumor box, but alot of talk has been made about the President of Nintendo talking bad about console market.

-Jim
Old 07-30-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are forgetting we are only in the first year of both consoles. The gap will only continue to widen.
Old 07-30-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are forgetting we are only in the first year of both consoles. The gap will only continue to widen.
Or the exact opposite will happen.
Old 07-30-02, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair

Well, anything is theoretically possible but history and current trends would tend to favor the gap increasing, not decreasing.
Old 07-30-02, 07:12 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Not if you look at the numbers. Now until the end of 2002, these are the numbers of games that will be released for each console:

Gamecube: 135
XBox: 184
PS2: 189

The gap will definitely widen by about 50 games if you are comparing Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony already has a large lead in terms of software selection.
Old 07-30-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figure sales of the Gamecube might pick up a bit after Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and all the other big games are released. Once there are more Gamecubes in people's homes there will probably be more games made for gamecube.

Disagree if you like but that's what I see happening.
Old 07-30-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to buy 80 Xbox or 50 Gamecube games. I have to go with what I will buy and Game Cube is doing fine. I currently have 10 PS2 games, 7 Game Cube games, and 3 Xbox games.

Outlook for the rest of the year looks like this. Obviously subject to change, but this is my current plan.

PS2
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Kingdom Hearts

Xbox
NFL 2K3
NBA 2K3
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Tony Hawk 4

Game Cube
Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Wario World
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 3
Metroid Prime

Thats 7 games to 6 on the PS2 and Xbox combined. I just don't see the problem everyone else does. As long as Nintendo has solid exclusives they will be fine. Just like the so called disaster of the N64 that oddly enough made Nintendo a lot of money. Nintendo may never beat Sony, but everyone waiting for their failure is in for a very long wait.
Old 07-30-02, 08:27 PM
Banned

Nintendo 64 really didn't make Nintendo any money..

I believe there was an article about it in WSJ or even Nintendo themselves saying, that most of their profit was from Gameboy and Pokemon, and that Nintendo64 contributed basically nothing to their bottom line..

They didnt make a dang thing off it, essentially, and would have probably actually had more money in profits, if they didnt have to commit so much money to advertising/pushing N64, and instead spent that energy on Gameboy/Pokemon..

Of course, Pokemon will eventually die out, and they know this.. Probably why they are sticking with consoles.

They'd be more profitable, however, 3rd party.. and I think their President knows this.

-Jim
Old 07-30-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on. There were a lot of really successful N64 games made by Nintendo.
Old 07-30-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flay

Not if you look at the numbers. Now until the end of 2002, these are the numbers of games that will be released for each console:

Gamecube: 135
XBox: 184
PS2: 189

The gap will definitely widen by about 50 games if you are comparing Microsoft and Nintendo. Sony already has a large lead in terms of software selection.
Actually - I counted from your thread 200 games that will be released for the Xbox before the close of 2002 (if all goes as planned) with another 27 already planned for 2003 and another 50 as yet without a release date (some are likely to come out this year and some are more likely to come out next year)... Gamecube from the sticky list has 133 games scheduled for release this year (and nothing ever gets pushed back by Nintendo), 31 already planned for 2003 and 55 without release dates. Grand totals:

Xbox - 277
Gamecube - 219

Gap = 58

Current Library:

Xbox - 88
Gamecube - 60

Fictional projected gap by next year = 86

So I guess my counting was pointless since your point was basically made. Anyway - That's a helluva lot of damn games and I'm glad I only own one system otherwise I'd be poor and my thumbs would hurt...

GizmoDVD:
Depends on who you ask... If you asked me, I'd say that 98% of Gamecube's games are crap (that's only 1 game worth playing - my reasoning is that the controller is unbearable for the games that go cross platform, even if I included cross platform games it would still be a low percentage) and that only 62.5% of Xbox's games are crap. If someone asked you, I'm sure the numbers would be vastly different. Fact is, there's about 11 games I don't own on the Xbox that I'd like to if I had Lil' Bow-Wow's money. There's only one game I would want on the Gamecube. It all comes down to personal taste. There are tons of people like you who find everything that Nintendo puts out to be pure genius... it's just that not everyone feels that way.
Old 07-30-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on. There were a lot of really successful N64 games made by Nintendo.
"There were alot of N64 games made by Nintendo" - this statement isn't even true... how could yours be? j/k

I don't know - I worked in a video store when the N64 came out and I remember there being like 2 games for the longest time and then 3 and then 5 and then nothing really for a long time. The system took awhile to start having games out for it. Granted, the store I worked at didnt' buy every single N64 game made so my view is skewed.
Old 07-30-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"There were alot of N64 games made by Nintendo"
That statement's true too. Nintendo makes a lot of games. I'm pretty sure they were #1 or #2 in video game sales during the N64's lifespan. I don't know where to get the facts on that but I'm sure someone else does.
Old 07-30-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zig
Just like all IGN previews, they don't say much at all, just a lot of fluff and information that is already known everywhere.
could you put up the pics they have

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.