Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PC gamers, how to keep mouse hand from hurting?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with the Nostromo Speed Pad which works great. However, my mouse hand is starting to hurt and it sure is difficult to turn around fast. Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the beginning of CTS. There are some exercises you should practice and if it starts keeping you up at night or get's to where you have pain a lot of the time talk to your doctor. The exercises are like this, hold your arm out straight and pull your hand up as far as you can with your other hand and hold it for 10 seconds then switch hands.
Old 07-22-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
take a break every now and then.
Old 07-22-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: PC gamers, how to keep mouse hand from hurting?

Originally posted by Alvis
I've been playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault with the Nostromo Speed Pad which works great. However, my mouse hand is starting to hurt and it sure is difficult to turn around fast. Any suggestions?
Get one of these and adjust your mouse speed to make it faster. It'll take a little getting used to and you'll probably suck for awhile, but after you master it - it'll be so much easier. This is the best mousing surface you can get (if you have an optical mouse, it doesn't make much difference) for gaming and the wrist pad is the best I've tried. I've had 3 of these - not cuz they break and I need new ones, I just keep getting different designs and using the old ones on other PCs.
Old 07-22-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Every hour or hour and a half i would also recommend running cold water over your forearms and wrists for 15 to 30 seconds.

Works for me both after gaming and working in a massage setting.
Old 07-22-02, 08:35 PM

One thing I'd suggest is to use a trackball. That way you're only using your thumb to move around and 2 fingers to operate the buttons. I've found it's the easiest way to move around in first person shooters...for me at least. I know trackballs aren't everyones cup of tea but I thought I'd make the suggestion.

Also if your hands are hurting I completely agree with JackSkeleton...take a break. You also may consider seeing your doctor if the pain is lingering. CTS is not something to treat lightly.

Chris
Old 07-22-02, 10:08 PM

I personally would recommend getting a wrist pad. I got one a while back and I never have problems anymore with my wrist hurting.
Old 07-23-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you play a lot of games, it could be a repetitive stress injury. But those are pretty rare, and mostly only happen to people who spend inordinate amounts of time playing games, or typing, or whatever. If you game 6 hours a day, beware.

Otherwise, try using a different mouse. Some of those gaming mice offer great game performance, but have poor ergonomics. I've found that a plain ol' Microsoft Intellimouse is pretty comfortable.
Old 07-24-02, 11:13 AM

Some of the tips I see here and actually do you more harm than good. Go see your doctor or a physical therapist. Get tips on resting and stretching.
CTS takes years (usually more then 5-10 stressfull years) to develop. Your doctor can probably diagnose tendenitis and prescribe a nonsteroidal anti-infamitory and give you a brace to wear.
Wrist or hand pain is generally attributed to wrist and hand movement. You want to limit the movement of your hand. Studies have shown that people that use wrist rests, like the solutions offered here, actually promote more harmful movement of the wrist. You are not suppost to rest your wrist while using the mouse. That pad is for resting inbetween uses. Resting while using makes your forearm not move and your wrist and fingers do all the work, which causes overuse injuries. So It's best to learn the proper way to have your workstation set up and to use your equipment properly. It's hard changing these habbits, but tendinitis leads to CTS and you don't want to get that. Take a break from computer games for a while, see your doctor, and try to change your habbits (resting and use).
Old 07-24-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would honestly skip the physician stage and just go buy a brace from the drug store. You'll feel the difference immediately. Your gaming will suffer, but hopefully you'll get used to it quickly.
Old 07-24-02, 01:17 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Squeeze those balls:

or spin them:

I find squeezing works a little better.

--HN
Old 07-24-02, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by HN
Squeeze those balls:

[img]

or spin them:

I find squeezing works a little better.

--HN
Stroking them doesn't help though.
Old 07-24-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
Some of the tips I see here and actually do you more harm than good. Go see your doctor or a physical therapist. Get tips on resting and stretching.
CTS takes years (usually more then 5-10 stressfull years) to develop. Your doctor can probably diagnose tendenitis and prescribe a nonsteroidal anti-infamitory and give you a brace to wear.
Wrist or hand pain is generally attributed to wrist and hand movement. You want to limit the movement of your hand. Studies have shown that people that use wrist rests, like the solutions offered here, actually promote more harmful movement of the wrist. You are not suppost to rest your wrist while using the mouse. That pad is for resting inbetween uses. Resting while using makes your forearm not move and your wrist and fingers do all the work, which causes overuse injuries. So It's best to learn the proper way to have your workstation set up and to use your equipment properly. It's hard changing these habbits, but tendinitis leads to CTS and you don't want to get that. Take a break from computer games for a while, see your doctor, and try to change your habbits (resting and use).
Ditto!

As a long time computer professional and former rabid gamer, I concur on all points. I don't use wrist rests at all for precisely this reason. Also, you will probably find great relief simply by changing to a differently shaped/sized mouse and taking more frequent breaks. I switched to a Logitech optical cordless last year with great results. The best advice was for you to see your doctor, there is no telling exactly what might be causing your pains short of a thorough diagnostic session. Good Luck!
Old 07-24-02, 04:10 PM

Looks like great advice so far, thanks! Also, do you guys suggest having your elbow resting on the desk or off the edge. I find I more often have knots and pain in my forearm, but I can't decide if having my elbow off the desk will alleviate any of this.

I work on computers all day and play at night so I'm probably really overdoing it.
Old 07-24-02, 04:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I often get sore wrists sitting at my PC...although it's not in my mouse hand.
Old 07-25-02, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike

Ditto!

As a long time computer professional and former rabid gamer, I concur on all points. I don't use wrist rests at all for precisely this reason. Also, you will probably find great relief simply by changing to a differently shaped/sized mouse and taking more frequent breaks. I switched to a Logitech optical cordless last year with great results. The best advice was for you to see your doctor, there is no telling exactly what might be causing your pains short of a thorough diagnostic session. Good Luck!

I'm having a bit of a problem myself right not with terrible tendentitis. I'm trying to change my habbits, but I just can't get the hang of it? What mouse it that exactly? Have any other tips?
Old 07-26-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not your mouse hand......HAHA