Reload this Page >

No more Sonic Adventures.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-27-02, 09:01 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the gossip section in EGM (which is usually pretty accurate) the series is returning to it's roots. No more wondering around looking for keys, jewels etc.

"The gameplay will return to the tone of the original series, focusing on fast platforming action with no B.S. And to reflect the change in design, the game will reportedly drop the Adventures moniker..."

I couldn't be happier, as I hated the Sonic Adventure games. Very mediocre games for the most part, with a few cool levels that actually felt like a Sonic game.
Old 06-27-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sonic Adventure 1 was alright, however in Sonic Adventure 2 with the unavoidable Tails and Knuckles levels, it just became downright unbearable.

But what does this announcement mean? Is it going back to 2D (doubtful)? Or is it just gonna be like the Sonic levels in the Adventure games?
Old 06-27-02, 11:55 PM
Retired

I imagine it will still be 3D, and just be more action oriented. Maybe more so than the Sonic levels in the adventure games.
Old 06-28-02, 02:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I love the Sonic Adventure series, I am anticipating the new faster gameplay Sonic's...

I imagine it will be a 3d version of Sonic Advance, with the same levels playable by the multiple characters in slightly different ways...

Sounds great!

And I loved SA2, dont see how anyone could find the tails or knnuckles levels unbearable.. sure the knuckles ones are hard, but they remind me of Mario type gameplay.

-Jim
Old 06-28-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds good to me
Old 06-28-02, 05:41 AM
Banned

Faster gameplay? Damn! How much fast can Sonic get?! I get motion sickness everytime i try to play SA 1 or 2.
Old 06-28-02, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Very good news. It kind of worked in Sonic Adventure 1, but 2 was simply terrible.
Old 06-28-02, 07:46 AM
Cat

I got so tired of playing with that dang Knuckles that this is a welcome bit of news. Searching for jewels and keys was incredibly repetitive and had absolutely no point in the game.

Cat
Old 06-28-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think everyone can agree that Sonic Ad. 2 was craptacular.
I mean, the sonic and shadow levels were real good, but everything else was STUPID.

Sonic 1 on the other hand, I thought was real good.

I can't wait for another sonic game.
Old 06-28-02, 07:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While I would rather have an "all-Sonic" version of the games, I'm wondering the veracity of this rumor. The Sonic Adventure games were bestsellers on both Dreamcast and Gamecube. Even if you change the format, why change the name?

We'll know soon enough. Sega's official announcement is just around the corner.
Old 06-28-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: No more Sonic Adventures.

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I couldn't be happier, as I hated the Sonic Adventure games. Very mediocre games for the most part, with a few cool levels that actually felt like a Sonic game.
Interesting, I feel the exact same way about Nintendo's recent (and future) stuff. I didn't really enjoy the N64 Zelda's because they did not feel like a Zelda game, and am not looking forward to either Mario Sunshine or Metriod Fusion for the same reasons.

As for Sonic, I enjoyed the beginning levels of SA due to their speed, but SA2 was a bit polluted with non-sonic activities. I'd LOVE a 2D-ish Sonic game on a next-gen system.
Old 06-28-02, 11:14 AM
Retired

To each his own.

The N64 Zelda's have the same type of exploration and puzzle solving gameplay as every previous Zelda game except Zelda II, so I'm not sure why they didn't feel like a Zelda game to you.

Metroid Fusion is the GBA game and should be very similar to Super Metroid.

You probably meant Metroid Prime, the Gamecube first person adventure. I can understand your skepticism there, as that may well not feel like a Metroid game. I hope it does, and early impressions have been promising. Hopefully, if it doesn't feel like a Metroid game, it will still be a great game.

I think I remember you saying you didn't like Mario 64, so I'd see why you're not interested in Sunshine as it is a true sequel. Mario 64 was a little slower paced and less action packed than the old mario games, but still retained the feel of the series IMO.

As for the Sonic adventure games, they felt nothing like sonic games, except for a few cool stages in the original and the Sonic/Shadow stages in part 2. That series was all about speed and action. That was it's only defining characteristic. And it was absent from much of the adventure games.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-28-02 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: No more Sonic Adventures.

Originally posted by cartman
I didn't really enjoy the N64 Zelda's because they did not feel like a Zelda game
Personally, I thought Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were very fun and inventive, and blew away The Legend of Zelda, Link's Adventure, or A Link to the Past...
Old 06-28-02, 11:28 AM
zig

Well I wasn't gonnna reply since its kinda goin off topic, but 2 other people did, so I will too!

If you want the games to feel and be the same as the older ones, why don't you just play the older ones. Games in a series should change quite a bit with every sequel IMO. Especially with Nintendo. They rely on their series, so if every game in the series was similar, they wouldn't continue to be as successful. Things change. As long as Miyamoto is the one changing them, I'm still happy
Old 06-28-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they dont abandon the Chao stuff.
Old 06-28-02, 02:18 PM
Banned

Its odd to see how many people hate Sonic Adventure 2, and how many people liked it.

It certainly was popular with kids, as it is a best-seller on Dreamcast and Gamecube, and I see kids play this at Walmart all the time..

The knuckles levels were hard, but I think they were only considered boring by some because of how fun the sonic/shadow levels were in their speed. The Knuckles levels, on their one, if they formed a separate game, would most likely be fun too, but I think people get disappointed with having to shift their gameplay from 1 style to the next.. I however found it to be quite fun that way.

-Jim
Old 06-28-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by YujiNaka

The knuckles levels were hard, but I think they were only considered boring by some because of how fun the sonic/shadow levels were in their speed. The Knuckles levels, on their one, if they formed a separate game, would most likely be fun too, but I think people get disappointed with having to shift their gameplay from 1 style to the next.. I however found it to be quite fun that way.
Nope, they sucked because they were tedious, irritating, and pointless. Great music, though.
Old 06-28-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing wrong with trying something different. Miyamoto did an incredible job of updating both Mario and Zelda to 3D.

The experiment did not work as well with Sonic. They won't abandon 3D, but I think they will be better off keeping it more of an action oriented game. I think Sega would have been fine if they had just kept the game more like Sonic Adventure 1.
Old 06-30-02, 03:31 PM

I also hated the 64 Zelda games. I felt they lacked the adventure... Vastness... of the other zeldas. My girlfriend and I have been playing and replaying the newer gameboy zeldas just becasuse they are very very similar to the old school "Link to the Past".
The two 64 Zeldas seemed to... I duno... gimmicky for me. I guess it was something in the water here...

Same goes for Sonic only on a greater level.
They lost sight of the point of Sonic. Cool speed filled levels and wicked bosses.

As for the age old argument that says "games in a serise ought to change" I totaly disagree. Games in a serise should be very similar with only minor elements improved. Take "Thief 1+2" for PC. Thief 1 was a masterpiece with totaly revolutionary gameplay. Thief 2 was everything Thief 1 was, only with beter graphics, sound, new weapons and items. It enhanced the gameplay whithout creating a whole new FEEL.
Games in a serise should FEEL the same.
Sonic Adventure does not feel the same as Genisis Sonic.
Zelda on 64 does not feel the same as the 2d top-down "Link to the Past/Gameboy" Zelda.

With that said, I highly doubt Metroid Prime will FEEL the same as Super Metroid. But thats just one thing I gota deal with.
Old 06-30-02, 04:09 PM
Retired

I still say the N64 Zelda's feel the same as the others. Maybe just a little less combat and more exploration.

On that note, I just finished Oracle of Ages and thought it was more similar to the N64 Zeldas than the old ones in game play style. i.e. less enemies, more exploration, talking to people, mini games, gorons and zoras etc.

Just started Seasons and it seems a little more action oriented and maybe more similar to A Link to the Past than Ages was.
Old 06-30-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X-mas doesn't feel the same way after I turned 18
Old 07-01-02, 05:10 AM

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.c...n=item&id=3157

Well hey, speak of the devil. Personally I was never into the Sonic Adventure games at all...but they fixed that problem too. I hope Sonic Mega Collection is exactly what I want it to be. Kinda like a Mario All-Stars game. I hope it sells well and Capcom catches on and releases a Mega Man Mega Collection. Think they'd call it that?
Old 07-01-02, 11:42 AM

I owned Sonic Adventure 1, and bought the second. The first one was great and I loved it a lot. Though I hated the second. One of my big problems with the second game was the very annoying very repetitive music. It drove me crazy! Thank god for Planet X's return policy!
Old 07-01-02, 07:29 PM

Ah this sounds cool. I loves the Sonic levels in both the games, but the rest was so boring. I couldn't stand playing the non sonic levela at all. Ugg. Loking forword to what they do now
Old 07-01-02, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Cat
I got so tired of playing with that dang Knuckles that this is a welcome bit of news. Searching for jewels and keys was incredibly repetitive and had absolutely no point in the game.

Cat

Yea, when playing the game becomes an abject chore....time to switch games