Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help with Day of Defeat

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Day of Defeat

I just started playing this mod after getting pretty tired of Counterstrike. I'm having a difficult time though (my score is usually 2-15 when I'd go 20-10 in Counterstrike).

Even when I'm trying to be super sneaky someone caps me and most of the time I don't even know from where. It seems like a giant camp-fest for the entire map (playing on public servers).

The only time I manage to kill someone is when sniping or I get lucky and round a corner on a sniper looking somewhere else.

What are some good tips for staying alive and
Old 06-03-02, 09:35 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Re: Help with Day of Defeat

Originally posted by asabase

What are some good tips for staying alive and
Looks like someone sniped him again
Old 06-03-02, 11:01 AM

Major thing for Dod is to learn the maps. This way you can know where ambush spots are and watch for them or use them yourself.

You can't just run and gun your way through maps. I fiind it easier to move from cover to cover and ambush people that come by. Then you can move up again and ambush again. Keep doing this until you can get the flags and win the game.

Also, move as a group and watch where you buddies get hit from. Then you'll know where snipers, snakers and MGs are placed and can take them out.

Check www.dayofdefeatmod.com they have message boards where you'll find tons of posts with tactics and hints.
Old 06-03-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Help with Day of Defeat

Originally posted by dek

Looks like someone sniped him again
Sorry, boss effect.

I think the only word missing was 'stuff' anyway.
Old 06-03-02, 12:49 PM

When I first converted to DoD from CS, I thought DoD was all a big campfest. But after playing it for a while now, I understand that it's not a campfest at all.

Since it is based on capturing and holding flags, teams need to defend positions where in CS if you're dead, you're done for the current game. In DoD, you have to continue defending positions.

Plus there's a lot of teamwork involved in DoD. Even on public servers.

My advice to you is to learn the maps. Know where the sniper locations are. Dash from cover to cover. Talk to your teammates and tell them where you need cover fire.

Thong T.
[Ax6.]106PG|A-Hole[OwP]
Old 06-04-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed, one of the main complaints I see from people coming from CS to DoD is that everyone is "camping". In most maps the objective is to take and hold flags or cap the map. So camping is an essential part of the game.

Keep in mind that pubs are used primarily to blow off steam and hone skills (i.e. shooting, grenade priming, recognizing the sounds of various guns) and most importantly learning the map. Once you've played a map for a while you can pretty much exactly predict where the person that shot you is aiming from and pay them back in turn.

Remember, it's supposed to be a more realistic mod so one well-placed shot from most weapons will kill you. Headshots are always fatal. Moving is always the most hazardous task unless you're camping in a spot everyone knows (basically 90% of the locations).

If you want to play DoD the way it's "supposed" to be played try clan play or like Thong T sign up for battleforeurope (bfe) at battleforeurope.com. Just don't do it as a damn Kraut like him.
Old 06-04-02, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am getting better now. I can keep my score about even most of the time. I'm no good at the darker maps though since I don't know them and can't see anything.

I'm not sure if I really like the mod though. Sometimes too much realizism takes away from the fun. I'll probably keep playing since I'm so sick of CS though and it's been growing on me. And I do like sniping the guy back that sniped you though. Lots of fun!
Old 06-06-02, 01:47 PM

A damn Kraut huh? We all can't be good guys right? My Kraut division is getting our butts kicked around twice now...

We're up for another battle this Saturday. We're trying to invade Northern Europe this time.

Another thing is that look for players with [OwP] in their name. That's the Online Warfare Pact. It's an agreement that people should play as a team to win the battle. The OwP members are almost always willing to help out a newbie. They'll play with the teamplay aspect in mind.

If the map is too dark for you. Try "cl_fog 1" in your console. This turns on the fog and actually lighten up the dark areas inside buildings. Works great on some maps, but not on others.

Thong T.