Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

somebody talk me out of buying a gamecube!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

somebody talk me out of buying a gamecube!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently sold Smash Bros Melee, too "button masherish" for me in the end.
Did you really give the game a fair shake? The combat system is pretty deep. Play a real pro and you'll come to realize that.
Old 05-25-02, 11:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Kellehair

Did you really give the game a fair shake? The combat system is pretty deep. Play a real pro and you'll come to realize that.

Eh, I had the game since launch. I unlocked all of the players and most of the levels and got tons of trophies. In the end it just didn't do anything for me anymore and instead of collecting dust it was sold.

Just sold Wave Race(Rally?) too.

Once I beat Resident Evil, my GCN will be collecting dust until one of the AAAs comes out. The insanity game looks pretty lame, but if it gets killer reviews I might pick it up.

BTW: Pikmin sucks the big one as far as I'm concerned. :P
Old 05-26-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The insanity game looks pretty lame
I assume you're talking about Eternal Darkness. How can you say that it looks lame? There's never been a single bad word printed about it. Does it look lame to you because it's on Gamecube? Don't be afraid...you can tell me.
Old 05-26-02, 02:47 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume you're talking about Eternal Darkness. How can you say that it looks lame? There's never been a single bad word printed about it. Does it look lame to you because it's on Gamecube? Don't be afraid...you can tell me.
Assuming he means that it is graphically lame, it is no Resident Evil, but there are few other games on the next gen consoles that look better. I smell a little bias myself-- only because I know of it all too well.
Old 05-26-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is anyone else tired of all the misinformation that is passed around? (Not just this thread)

If something is your opinion, or someone "told" you about something, it doesn't make it fact.

Sorry, I just wish people would take the time to actually know what they are saying instead of just throwing out their beliefs causing confusion and need for people to respond.

bah.
Old 05-26-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's never been a single bad word printed about any previewed game because game websites and magazines are primarily publicity mills for developers, rather than consumer resources.

Personally, I'm not sold on it either. If it comes out fantastic I'll buy it, but I'm not sure enough about that to pre-order.
Old 05-26-02, 01:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arguing about "must owns" is pointless, as there is truly no such thing as a "must own." There are games that most people will like, but there is no one game every single person is going to agree is a "must own."

Some people, myself included, think the GCN has a ton of "must owns" and the X-box has few or none.

Others think exactly the opposite. Others prefer the PS2.

It's just a matter of what types of games you like the most.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-26-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's never been a single bad word printed about any previewed game because game websites and magazines are primarily publicity mills for developers, rather than consumer resources.

Personally, I'm not sold on it either. If it comes out fantastic I'll buy it, but I'm not sure enough about that to pre-order.
I'm the same way. I preorder very few games and doubt this will be one of them. My point though was that there was no way to form a negative opinion about this game unless you're psychic or biased.
Old 05-26-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: somebody talk me out of buying a gamecube!

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

Keep in mind that you won't see mario or zelda until 2003. And the way nintendo keeps going, probably mid to late 2003. And you'll only see ONE mario, and ONE zelda, i highly doubt you'll see a second of either of these characters on this system, at the rate its going.

Also keep in mind that third party support for gamecube has been weaker than with PS2.

I'm not trying to console bash, but i have a freind right now who's kinda dissatisfied with his 'cube purchase. The good games are few and FAR between. The only games he's enjoyed on Cube are the ports from PS2 (madden, nba street, baseball)

For only 50$ more i think PS2 is the way to go. (You'll make up that 50 bucks on memory cards alone)

EDIT TO ADD:

A: Greatest hits... 19.99
B: New 39.99 Price on all PS2 games according to IGN. 10$ cheaper than 'Cube.

$0.02

You sound like you're already in line for the 'Cube... So enjoy.

Yeah! The nerve of Gamecube taking time to make sure their games are quality! I say just rush it out now half assed, so I can play it NOW!

FYI- there are a lot of rumors going around about Nintendo making all 1st party games $29.99. 10$ cheaper than 'PS2 games.

Some more advice, don't EVER let the line "There are HARDLY any games out for that system! Why buy it" Gee, maybe becasue it has only been out 6 months?
Old 05-26-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict

With the weakest online plan and that petite memory card its never gonna carry a sports title like the Box or PS2. It wont be getting Inside Drive either which has unseated NBA2kX for me. The Box is a sports gamers wet dream. Save all the replays and seasons you want on that fat HD.
Or you could save the money, buy a much cheaper paper weight then the X-Box, and wait for the game to come to PC?

Old 05-26-02, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Drexl
GameCube doesn't have a digital audio output. PS2 and XBox do, and XBox has Dolby Digital 5.1 FOR GAMES.

Dek, you're not blocking the vents on the sides are you?
You do realize that most games don't use this in-game? Just for movies? The only game I can think of that uses it in-game is Halo, and I don't like that game. That is my opinion though.
Old 05-26-02, 05:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by steve_c_n

You do realize that most games don't use this in-game? Just for movies? The only game I can think of that uses it in-game is Halo, and I don't like that game. That is my opinion though.
Actually, many XBox games utilize real-time 5.1 sound. It's easy for developers to impliment with the decoder card built in.

Anyway, Off the top of my head:

JSRF
Oddworld
Project Gotham Racing
Rallisport Challenge
Silent Hill 2
Genma Onimusha
Star Wars Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter
Pirates: Legend of Black Kat
Hunter: The Reckoning
Azurik
Wreckless
Blood Omen 2
Old 05-26-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sominex
Or you could save the money, buy a much cheaper paper weight then the X-Box, and wait for the game to come to PC?

Save money by PC gaming??? Tell me what vid card is gonna match the XBox graphics for that price? I have a Cube, I have a G4 and all my sports titles from this season on is gonna be done on my Xbox. Im not biased, Im gonna go where the best version of the game is. Believe me I love my Gamecube but Im not expecting it to keep my basketball fantasies fufilled. And for me the best basketball sim is reason alone to buy an entire system. But thats just me, Im a basketball freak, YMMV.
Old 05-26-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sominex
a much cheaper paper weight then the X-Box
BTW, this thread is just screaming for the XBox is heavy jokes.
Old 05-26-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Arguing about "must owns" is pointless, as there is truly no such thing as a "must own." There are games that most people will like, but there is no one game every single person is going to agree is a "must own."
I dunno, occasionally there comes along a game that is almost (I say almost) universally agreed to be great and this is particularly important/useful early in a consoles life when the pickings are often slim. Obvious examples are Soul Caliber on the DC, a game that yet to be surpassed, and was a must have launch title if you didn't HATE fighting games. Halo, on the xbox, by far the best FPS on any console. And on the GC I would say Super Monkey Ball would be the game, sure the graphics are poor, but you can't put the controller down! Probably the only criticism I've seen levelled at this game is that it gets very frustrating.

I'm slowly coming round to SSBM which I haven't played yet (it comes out in 2 weeks in Aus). For the record, when my friend asked me what 2 games he should buy I recommened SMB and SSBM.

Chris
Old 05-26-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
1) Sominex, your X-Box comment is unnecessary and uncalled for. That's no different than console bashing. This is your warning.

2) There's been plenty of discussion here so closing thread. We've had plenty of "which console should i get" threads.

namja