Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

does NOT look like a price cut for the PS2

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does NOT look like a price cut for the PS2

when talking about the PS2 price:

What about Sony? We spoke with Sony's Director of Communications today about the very subject.

"We're definitely comfortable at $299," said Molly Smith, Sony Computer Entertainment America's public relations director. "Certainly it's something we have always been aggressive with. We have always passed on to the consumer any cost efficiencies that we're able to. But think about it, we're coming close to having sold through 28 million units worldwide. We think that $299 is a very reasonable price for consumers."

What about staying competitive with Microsoft and Nintendo? What about appearing like you're the only system selling at $299? Doesn't that concern you?

"We have never dropped our prices because of market desperation. We don't feel that we've ever been put into the position of having to change our strategy because of our competition.

"We have stayed firm at $299 when not one single person thought we would, and we have sold almost 10 million units in North America so far, so we're pretty happy with our position right now. I can't imagine that we need to change our strategy one iota."

"We're definitely sticking at $299 right now, that's where we are," Smith said firmly.

So, there you have it, from the mouth of Sony itself. SCEA says it will not lower the price of its PlayStation 2 at E3. Microsoft may very well do it. We'll let you know when either company announces anything differently.
read the whole thing
Old 05-10-02, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feh. Posturing, pure and simple. "Lookit how strong we are, we don't need any price-drops. Haw haw haw!"

Then, as soon as the XBox starts to make some headway, Sony will decide that some new manufacturing process has created enough leeway for them to drop their price.

We don't feel that we've ever been put into the position of having to change our strategy because of our competition.
For some reason, I recall PS price-drops at or near the same time as N64 price drops. I guess that was mere seasonal coincidence.
Old 05-10-02, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Fanboy
Feh. Posturing, pure and simple. "Lookit how strong we are, we don't need any price-drops. Haw haw haw!"

Then, as soon as the XBox starts to make some headway, Sony will decide that some new manufacturing process has created enough leeway for them to drop their price.

For some reason, I recall PS price-drops at or near the same time as N64 price drops. I guess that was mere seasonal coincidence.
I agree with you, but I think SONY is doing the right (business) thing here. They dominate the market, so until they see a noticable erosion of market share, they should keep their prices where they are. No need for them to lose money when they own the industry.
Old 05-10-02, 09:28 AM

We have always passed on to the consumer any cost efficiencies that we're able to.
Hmmm...what about this article from ZDNet. I'll lose all respect for Sony if they don't drop their prices after these two statements now. Looks the two who made these statements should communicate a little better with each other.

Sony Computer Entertainment says it has combined two of the processor components of its PlayStation2 on a single die, which should significantly reduce the cost of manufacturing the market-leading video game console.

The company has combined the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesiser chips into a single unit using a 0.13-micron manufacturing process, said Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Japanese trade publication Nikkei Microdevices. The original PlayStation2 chips were designed to be manufactured on a 0.18-0.15 micron process. Shrinking the design rule and combining the processors into one unit will not directly affect the console's performance, but smaller processors consume less power and are less costly to manufacture.
I got an invite to the Sony Press conference/breakfast on May 21. I'm sure we'll find out that day which statement is true. To cut or not to cut!

Last edited by Cyberock; 05-10-02 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 10:30 AM
Banned

These people are instructed to deny all rumors until they are officially announced. Plus, she is the PR from Sony America, wouldn't this be something implemented by Sony Japan? If so, what she says has no credential.
Old 05-10-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they are going to cut the price but are keeping it hush hush as to not erode sales in the next few weeks. They'd have to be insane not to. I think one of the things that helped the PSX was that the price always remained competitive with the N64. That, combined with great software, made the PSX dominant. I've already got a PS2 so I'm set. Although an XBox or cube at 199 is looking mighty tempting lately.
Old 05-10-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These people are obviously towing the line for Sony.

The PS2, no matter how many units they've sold, is still a 2 year old piece of hardware. There are only so many more they can sell before the market will be tapped out at $300 a pop.

Sony wants to play this game where they will be tight lipped about the price drop until it actually happens so they won't inadvertantly "disaude" any from buying the PS2 at $300. In other words "grab all you can grab!!"

Well I'm in no hurry. I've waited this long for a price and I can certainly wait another two weeks!

Robb
Old 05-10-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
well, if Microsoft drops the price of the Xbox, which is rumored to happen at E3, then Sony will follow. They will lose market share if they are the only kids on the block w/ a video game machine that retails for $299.
Old 05-10-02, 01:43 PM

"We're definitely comfortable at $299," said Molly Smith, Sony Computer Entertainment America's public relations director. "Certainly it's something we have always been aggressive with. We have always passed on to the consumer any cost efficiencies that we're able to. But think about it, we're coming close to having sold through 28 million units worldwide. We think that $299 is a very reasonable price for consumers."

What about staying competitive with Microsoft and Nintendo? What about appearing like you're the only system selling at $299? Doesn't that concern you?

"We have never dropped our prices because of market desperation. We don't feel that we've ever been put into the position of having to change our strategy because of our competition.

"We have stayed firm at $299 when not one single person thought we would, and we have sold almost 10 million units in North America so far, so we're pretty happy with our position right now. I can't imagine that we need to change our strategy one iota."

"We're definitely sticking at $299 right now, that's where we are," Smith said firmly.

So, there you have it, from the mouth of Sony itself. SCEA says it will not lower the price of its PlayStation 2 at E3. Microsoft may very well do it. We'll let you know when either company announces anything differently.
This is another reason why I believe in competition. If Sony had 100% of the market share, how long would it be before consumers would see lower Sony console prices? - 6 months before the PS3!!! Anyway, all eyes are on MS to increase marketshare. Personally, I'll leave all this corporate tug-of-war to the big level execs, and I'll do what I do best - enjoy some great games.
Old 05-10-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think we should stick to one thread on this topic. This piece of news has already been reported by Flay here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=3
Old 05-13-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Reuters had this tidbit to offer today:

"Sony Corp. will cut the price of the PlayStation 2 video game console this week in order to be ahead of rival Microsoft Corp., which is expected to cut the price of its competing Xbox console next week, analysts said on Monday."

http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtm...StoryID=953657

They key phrase is "analysts said" which is to say this is still mostly a guess. Often, analysts do get clued in to some inside information, but the fact that this article mentions conflicting guesses as to how much the price will be cut leads me to believe that there wasn't a particular briefing on the matter from Sony, but rather these analysts are guessing just like the rest of us.

In any event, we'll all know more in a week or two.
Old 05-13-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/359/359311p1.html

Please be $199! Please be $199!
Old 05-13-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the price drop is down to $199 I'll be waiting for the doors to open at Best Buy that very morning!

Robb
Old 05-14-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
If the price drop is down to $199 I'll be waiting for the doors to open at Best Buy that very morning!

Robb
of course you could be a gambling man and buy it now for $299 then if the price drops they need to give you 10% of the difference back i think. so the PS2 for $189!!

YMMV.IMHO.BYOB
Old 05-14-02, 02:37 AM

It's official--PS2 goes to 199

Looks like Sony is dropping the price on /everything/. PS2 system is down to 199, memory card is 24.99, and Dual Shock 2 controllers are 24.99. PSOne stuff is going down, as well.

Prices are effective immediately. I may actually pick one up tomorrow.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/359/359352p1.html
Old 05-14-02, 07:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I guess we all know where the Captain is this morning!
Old 05-14-02, 09:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Closing thread in light of new information:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=207461