Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Mario, Zelda & Metroid will ship on time?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 08:52 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IGN:
Star Fox Delayed Again
What a shocker. Get the full scoop here.

March 18, 2002 - IGNcube has learned that the Rare-developed Star Fox Adventures is in store for yet another release-date delay. The title, which is currently listed by Nintendo of America with a June 10 ship date, will be pushed back for a September release of this year, according to sources. No reasons have been given for this shuffle. Star Fox Adventures, originally called Dinosaur Planet and in development for N64, pits

players as mascot hero Fox McCloud on a mission to rescue a planet inhabited by prehistoric animals from an evil tyrant. The title, praised for its impressive next-generation visuals by the press and gamers alike, is an epic 3D adventure with a control style similar to that of Nintendo's Zelda series. Star Fox Adventures has already been delayed several times over the course of the game's long development cycle, which spans two consoles.

The latest delay thins Nintendo's first- and second-party lineup for the first half of the year even further. It is not yet known if the Silicon Knights-developed psychological thriller Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the only remaining Nintendo-published title now for the next five months, will see a similar delay.

Nintendo of America is expected to make an official announcement regarding the delay in the next couple of weeks.

More as it breaks.
Delayed until September? This game, I believe, was originally slated for a February 2002 release. Remember Nintendo's track record for delaying things? Where does this leave Mario, Zelda, and Metroid? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that any of these 3 titles will see the light of day before 2003?
Old 03-20-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least one, possibly two. Metroid looks the closest to completion, IMO.
Old 03-20-02, 08:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Define "on time." Have those games been given a ship date yet?
Old 03-20-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my bet:

2002: Metroid Prime, Mario (possibly)

2003: Early - Mario (probably)...Mid-Late - Zelda

Metroid Prime is probably the farthest along and I doubt Mario will make it's summer date in Japan. It is funny that Retro Studios may be the first one out with a big game considering how much turmoil they have been in for the past year.

My bet is on Metroid Prime for Thanksgiving. If not Metroid Prime it will be Mario. Nintendo WILL have a big game out the week of Thanksgiving to have any hope of having a good holiday season.
Old 03-20-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your a funny guy!
Old 03-20-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think we'll see all 3 this year.
Old 03-20-02, 01:18 PM
Retired

I think we'll have a much clearer picture on this after E3. No one really knows how far along these games are. You can't really base it on screen shots, because the screen shots might not represent the current state of the game. Nintendo is somewhat notorious for releasing early shots of a game in the months preceeding E3 and then showing a much more complete product at E3 and stealing the show.

Personally, I think we'll see 3 of these games in 2002, likely Metroid and Mario. I think there's still a possibility for Zelda simply because Miyamoto promised it would be out this year. Also the Star Fox delay hasn't been officially announced yet, so it might still come out in June.
Old 03-20-02, 01:22 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Originally posted by Groucho
Define "on time." Have those games been given a ship date yet?
By "on time" I meant by the end of the year. I'm not holding my breath, but at least I have a new PS2 to keep me occupied.
Old 03-20-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why is that the gameboy advance never seems to run out of games and the amount of new ones coming out never stops? They both are nintendo so I don't get it. I don't even understand why Nintendo put out the gamecube in the first place without enough games for it.
Old 03-20-02, 02:04 PM
Mod Emeritus

At this point, I'll say I totally agree with what AgtFox said.
Old 03-20-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sad feeling of getting ONLY ONE First party game this year.
Old 03-20-02, 08:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Don Catchpole
. I don't even understand why Nintendo put out the gamecube in the first place without enough games for it.
It takes awhile to get rolling. The PS2 line-up was much worse during it's first year of existence and IMO the X-box line-up is much weaker (but that just depends on what type of games you like). All the PS2 had in it's first year that interested me was Tekken Tag and Gran Turismo 3, and all the X-box has that interests me is Halo. I'm excluding games that are on multiple systems. The Gamecube has Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros Melee, Pikmin, and Wave Race, with Resident Evil coming in May, Eternal Darkness in June, Star Fox sometime this year, Resident Evil 0 in Oct. and Mario, Metroid and Zelda as possibilities.