Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gaming with Windows XP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-02, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaming with Windows XP

I have run across a number of games that won't run in Windows XP...does anyone know if there is a site that discusses such issues (as I haven't been able to find one)? For example...I have the original release of Half Life that won't run on XP but I have heard of others that have gotten it to run. I'm just wondering if I would have more luck with the newer "Game of the Year Edition" that is compatible with NT. Thanks!
Old 03-08-02, 09:59 PM
Banned

My Beta version had a capatabilty mode where you could simulate past Windows versions. Have you tried that (or did they take that off the final version)?
Old 03-08-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I run across a game that doesn't work with XP I just go to the developer's website and see if there's a patch. Most times there isn't a patch though so then I check out their forums. Occasionally someone will post a way around the problem.
Old 03-08-02, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
My Beta version had a capatabilty mode where you could simulate past Windows versions. Have you tried that (or did they take that off the final version)?
No, it's still there and haven't had much luck with it with other games but haven't tried it with Half Life. Thanks for the reminder! Have you had much luck with the compatibility mode?
Old 03-08-02, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
When I run across a game that doesn't work with XP I just go to the developer's website and see if there's a patch. Most times there isn't a patch though so then I check out their forums. Occasionally someone will post a way around the problem.
Thanks for the response. That's a good point. The software developers forums is something i hadn't considered. I've been looking for sites like they used to have for Windows 2000 where they had actual lists of games that wouldn't play on that OS...and list what patch or MS update would resolve the issue. Perhaps a bit too soon to find something like that for XP.
Old 03-09-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.ntcompatible.com
Old 03-09-02, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

maybe this will help?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...arch&ordinal=1
Old 03-09-02, 03:31 PM

so far only the sims dont work on xp for me.. not sure about other games
Old 03-09-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really?! The Sims work for me.
Old 03-09-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I went XP about 2 months ago. I had no trouble with RTCW, Red Faction, or Q3. I did have trouble with T2, Unreal, UT, AVP, and HL. I finally got Unreal and UT to work by putting them in Win98 compatibility mode and updating to the latest SB Live! and Detonator XP drivers (though Unreals sounds still get a bit twitchy). T2 I got to work (after suffering through many UEs) by changing to Win2k compatibility, though the app won't exit cleanly. As far as AVP and HL, I decided to delete them. So, try downloading and installing the latest MANUFACTURERS drivers for your video and sound, NOT the Microshaft versions. Good Luck!
Old 03-10-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
I went XP about 2 months ago. I had no trouble with RTCW, Red Faction, or Q3. I did have trouble with T2, Unreal, UT, AVP, and HL. I finally got Unreal and UT to work by putting them in Win98 compatibility mode and updating to the latest SB Live! and Detonator XP drivers (though Unreals sounds still get a bit twitchy). T2 I got to work (after suffering through many UEs) by changing to Win2k compatibility, though the app won't exit cleanly. As far as AVP and HL, I decided to delete them. So, try downloading and installing the latest MANUFACTURERS drivers for your video and sound, NOT the Microshaft versions. Good Luck!
Strange... My Unreal Tourney works just perfect on my XP.
Old 03-12-02, 02:21 PM

Most every game works for me in XP (and I have a lot of them!)..

the only games I can't get working reliably are Quake III or any game that uses the Quake III engine.. Sometimes they work sometimes they freeze.. I think it might be more video card driver related than XP itself...

--mike