Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ghost Recon - PC

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghost Recon - PC

I just played the single-mission demo of this, and thought it was pretty good. Anyone have any thoughts about the game in whole?

I was a little iffy about it, since I barely meet the specs. Right now I'm running a p3/450 with 384MB and a GeForce 32MB card (Asus V6600). The demo ran fine with everything set to "medium" at 1024x768x16. I'll probably use the demo to see where I can top off, performance-wise.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts about the full game; whether it's worth a pick-up.
Old 01-30-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm having fun with it myself

You can pick it up at www.gogamer.com for $32.90 plus shipping...
Old 01-30-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love it! The action is really intense, the interface is easy to use, the graphics are stunning, the sound is top-notch, and the missions are interesting. My only beef is that friendly troops seem a bit dumb. Anyways, if you have any questions about the game I'll be happy to answer them.
Old 01-30-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Been playing it for the past month. Great game. Especially fun in multiplayer mode with friends.

Once you get all the levels down you can start downloading mods to change things up a bit.
Old 02-02-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
I love it! The action is really intense, the interface is easy to use, the graphics are stunning, the sound is top-notch, and the missions are interesting. My only beef is that friendly troops seem a bit dumb.
This is currently one of my favorite games right now; love the intensity, graphics and sound, too. But like Kellehair says, the friendly AI is a bit dumb. Some people think that it's a deliberate move to encourage you to manage your team better.

I can't wait for the mission pack; hopefully, it'll include the 3DStudio Max plug-in's as rumored, so that modders can create their own maps.
Old 02-02-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I plan well. For example, I put my guys where I want them to be so they can pick off resistance coming up behind my lead team, but they never shoot and always get pinned down. In this game if you don't do it yourself, it doesn't get down. The Rainbow 6 games were a lot better in this respect.
Old 02-02-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
I plan well. For example, I put my guys where I want them to be so they can pick off resistance coming up behind my lead team, but they never shoot and always get pinned down. In this game if you don't do it yourself, it doesn't get down. The Rainbow 6 games were a lot better in this respect.
Oh, I wasn't implying that you weren't, just repeating something I read on a GR forum. I know what you mean. Friendlies don't always squat down and take cover under fire; sometimes they fire back, sometimes they just stand there and get killed. There's no way to have the sniper snipe from a far distance unless you do it yourself. Other stuff like that. This is why I do everything myself, like you. Hopefully, the upcoming patch or the mission pack will address these issues.
Old 02-02-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew you weren't picking on me. This flaw in the game just gets my blood boiling. I was thinking about it though and I remember having some success using a sniper in a defensive position. He wouldn't really 'snipe' people but he would kill them before he got killed. This worked especially well on the bridge demolition mission. My sniper would just chill in those nice hills and pick off the patrols as they came by. That allowed me to do all the other stuff in the mission without worrying too much.