Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MOHAA Rocks! (a 30 second review)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 11:28 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOHAA Rocks! (a 30 second review)

Since I've not seen a thread on the full version of Metal of Honor: Allied Assault yet, let me bend your ear for a moment. Since Thursday evening, I've had the pleasure of lighting up a six-pack of whupass on those damn Nazis. Overall, the

The good:

Looks freakin' awesome. I'm playing on a 1.7 gig machine with a Geforce 3, and the game just looks stunning. Really quality stuff, here.

Great level design. The sneaking (the Metal Gear Solid-ish level) really rock. The layout looks natural and has a good solid flow). And the D-Day level is the bomb - hard as hell, but fun. It took me dozens of tries to get off the boat and actually onto the shore - you would think that dieing in the first 30 seconds over and over again would suck. Eventually I learned the art of hiding behind the other solders, using them as human shields.

The Bad:
The AI are dumb as a sack of rocks. No Max Payne here, that's for sure.

The stupid freakin' sniper level (the first mission on level 5). Now THIS is a frustrating level. The object is to make your way through this small bombed French village, finding other members of your squad that have been separated from you and picking off the plethora of enemy snipers as you go. You need to have EVERYone in your squad survive - so not only do you have mere seconds to pick off the snipers as you move into each area (and they randomize slightly every time you load the level), but the squad members you've already found WANDER INTO THE LINE OF FIRE AS YOU MOVE ALONG.

Stay put, damnit! Keep behind the guy with the sniper rifle! Keep your freaking HEAD DOWN for pete's sake. Hello - THERE ARE NAZI SNIPERS *EVERYWHERE*!!

Sigh - this gets back to the dumb AI problem. It wouldn't be so bad if I had a 'wait here' command like you had with the security guards and scientists in Halflife. But noooooo - they blindly follow you along to their deaths.

So there you have it - well worth your money, if only for a Nazi whupping good time on D-Day.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 01-22-02 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MOHAA?
Old 01-22-02, 12:40 PM

MOHAA = Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

You should've made that clear, El-Kabong.
Old 01-22-02, 12:56 PM

Where did you get it? It's not in stores until today at the earliest!
Old 01-22-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think discussing where we got the game early would violate board policy and I for one do NOT want to get banned

And yes this game 100% completely ROCKS!! I just got to that stupid sniper level and am experiencing the exact frustration you mentioned...

there are a couple other threads you may want to check out but I'm glad you started another one. As more people pick up this game today I KNOW there will be a lot more awed people posting here pretty soon
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=170877
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=173639
Old 01-22-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: MOHAA Rocks! (a 30 second review)

Originally posted by El-Kabong
You need to have EVERYone in your squad survive - so not only do you have mere seconds to pick off the snipers as you move into each area (and they randomize slightly every time you load the level), but the squad members you've already found WANDER INTO THE LINE OF FIRE AS YOU MOVE ALONG.

Stay put, damnit!
Keep your freaking HEAD DOWN for pete's sake.
Hold on.....you mean Capt. Keyes is in that game too?
Old 01-22-02, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Shuki
I think discussing where we got the game early would violate board policy and I for one do NOT want to get banned
In this instance, there's no problem with getting banned - I have the pleasure of working for EA Seattle, so I picked mine up from the company store. As far as I know, it's just hitting normal stores today.

And yes this game 100% completely ROCKS!! I just got to that stupid sniper level and am experiencing the exact frustration you mentioned...
It wouldnt be so bad if the game gave you a failure notice as soon as one of your guys got picked off - but no, the game lets you continue on with no hope of sucess. There's gotta be something I'm overlooking - the level has to be easier than this.
Old 01-22-02, 04:13 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

It wouldnt be so bad if the game gave you a failure notice as soon as one of your guys got picked off - but no, the game lets you continue on with no hope of sucess. There's gotta be something I'm overlooking - the level has to be easier than this.
doesn't it say (in a white message on the upper left) "Pvt. what's his name was killed" or "Capt. So and So was killed" when he gets killed? at that point you can restart instead of trudging all the way through, no?

--HN
Old 01-22-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it does say when someone gets killed. But for me it's hard to pay attention to that little message area while some "ghost" sniper is taking you out too! Plus it's hard to read at 1600x1200 resolution. Maybe I should try and bump down to 1074x768 for this level and watch that little message box a little closer...

For the first level (or maybe the first few sub-levels) I was like, "man I hope this game gets a little harder" I am certainly regretting having ever thought that
Old 01-22-02, 06:11 PM
Suspended

I'm thinking I'll take a day or two rest from the game - I mean I did spend the whole weekend playing, after all. That and I did borrow an X-box from work after all, so its not like I'm lacking for new entertainment.

But if someone finds a level skip code, please be sure to post it here, willya?
Old 01-22-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has this even hit any stores yet?

Some idiot at Best Buy told me that the game was majorly delayed in response to a "new law" passed after 9/11, dealing with violence in Video Games. He has no idea when it would be out.

Software etc, said that it shipped todan and will be out tomorrow.
Target and Wal-Mart have no clue as well.

Has anybody bought it at retail yet? and if so where is the good price??
Old 01-22-02, 09:41 PM

Sams club doesn't have it yet but it will be $40.98 when they get it in.
Old 01-22-02, 10:09 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
just got back from Omaha Beach. In the words of Neo Anderson--"Whoa"

--HN
Old 01-22-02, 10:37 PM

It's out at Wal-Mart, $39.98. I was amazed they had it, stopped by tonight on the way home. Don't believe the idiot at the store making up stuff about new laws.. where do they get this stuff?

Best Buy will probably have it tomorrow along with EB and Babbages.

So far, very nice! Great feel.
Old 01-22-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Sounds like lvl 5 is the level from the demo. That was pretty fun.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-22-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No the demo level is the nerbelwerfer hunt and is a BREEZE compared to this sniper's paradise level. Total pain in the neck... I don't want to skip it though

edit: or mabye it was the multiplayer demo?!? I don't know about that cause I never tried it.

Last edited by Shuki; 01-23-02 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-22-02, 11:54 PM

Does anyone know what the price is at BestBuy? If it's $49.99, do you think that it will be on sale come Sunday, so that If I buy it tomorrow I could get a refund for the difference?
Old 01-23-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joshua
Does anyone know what the price is at BestBuy? If it's $49.99, do you think that it will be on sale come Sunday, so that If I buy it tomorrow I could get a refund for the difference?
definitely buy it tomorrow!! I'm pretty sure they have a 30 day low price guarantee and I'm positive it will be on sale sometime in the first 30 days.

on another side note. Don't get too hyped about the game cause you will be expecting too much and could be let down. Just go into it expecting a pretty good shooter and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

beach scene launch http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cybershou...iew=t&.hires=t
Old 01-23-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I looked everywhere for this bastard today. I went to BB, CC, C USA, TRU, and even Wal Mart, all with no luck. I guess I will try again Wednesday.
Old 01-23-02, 12:56 AM

Hey Shuki, what resolution and detail settings are you running that at? That level looks sweet! I am trying to catch the train now, so I think I am about to the infamouse beach invasion level.
Old 01-23-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RCL66
Hey Shuki, what resolution and detail settings are you running that at? That level looks sweet! I am trying to catch the train now, so I think I am about to the infamouse beach invasion level.
Just wait til you hit that beach!! You'll be cheezin from ear to ear... that is if you don't hit serious slow-down. A lot of people do but I'm 99.9% sure that it's cpu limited and doesn't have much to do with the video card. On my rig it doesn't matter if I'm at 1042x768 or all the way up to 1600x1200 I still get the same fps. I'm in the lower 20's there and dip down into the upper teens but the only way I would know this is by enabling the console. Because no slow-down at all shows up in actual gameplay which is what counts

In my card settings I have smoothvision at 2x and anisotropic filtering at 16 (highest) In my in game settings I have everything maxed with the exception of shadows. I have them set to simple. I also enabled texture compression and didn't notice any hit at all in performance. I'm running the new 9012 leaked drivers on a 275/275 retail Radeon 8500 card in a 1.33Ghz t-bird. If you do run into slow down you can disable "dynamic lighting" (I think it's called) and set your textures down to medium and 16 bit. If it's still jumpy drop the color down to 16 bit too. But mostly it's your cpu that will determine how well the beach scene plays out. Schore isch schweeeet dough
Old 01-23-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well I'm finally getting somewhere in this *honk* sniper level! It's 100% strategy on which snipers you take out first and in which order. Also, I finished with 5 crew members, wasn't enough couldn't get the objective. You have to have all SIX to go to the next point. And yes they are total idiots that don't know how to just hang back and wait till it's all clear.... So far I've completed two of the three objectives I'm now headin' for the south side of town
Old 01-23-02, 03:37 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Shuki
well I'm finally getting somewhere in this *honk* sniper level! It's 100% strategy on which snipers you take out first and in which order. Also, I finished with 5 crew members, wasn't enough couldn't get the objective. You have to have all SIX to go to the next point. And yes they are total idiots that don't know how to just hang back and wait till it's all clear.
I'm at work now, so I'm going from memory - there were the 3 (4?) troopers just to the left around the very first corner, and then the batch of two behind a low wall at the end of the street before the exit off the level right? There's nobody else tucked away somewhere?

Just making sure that I havent overlooked somebody in a dead end alleyway or something.
Old 01-24-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm at work now, so I'm going from memory - there were the 3 (4?) troopers just to the left around the very first corner, and then the batch of two behind a low wall at the end of the street before the exit off the level right? There's nobody else tucked away somewhere?

Just making sure that I havent overlooked somebody in a dead end alleyway or something.
Are you sure you don't want the self gratification of finding all of these dirty little rats yourself?? If not read the spoiler...

Spoiler:
I'm 99% sure I remember where they're all hiding. The hard part is getting them before they take out one of the idiots in the Bazooka team!! OK. walkthrough to the best of my memory: turn the first left corner coming into town sniper dead ahead. There is also one below him to the left on ground level behind that car. The next set of guys are in the building on the left when you make the next right turn. Two are in windows and three come down the stairs. Across the street from them is a bombed out two story building. Go up to the second story of that bombed out building. Go to the NE corner (by the dresser)and crouch. Oh, but watch out there a nazi hiding in that closet behind you. I just empty a clip into so he doen't jump out and start blasting me first!! Anyway, once you're crouched down slowly back down (South) that blown open wall. If you go slow enough, you will hear a guy start shooting but he doesn't hit you. You know you're almost there at that point. Take one more step back and you will see him on the rooftop on the buildings to the North.

Take him out and cross the street to where the snipers were hiding out. There are two more snipers you can take out from up here and one more Nazi hiding in this closet too. One of the snipers is on the opposite side of the street on the second story. He's after the gap between the two buildings across the street. There's a window and then some wall and then a blown open area. He's right there. The second sniper is in the set of buildings to the north. Ground floor window to the far right (East). There is also another guy hiding over there we gotta go take out first hand. Cross the street and go through that big open gap to the street that wraps around north. Go north and you will see the remains of a building straight ahead. To the left is a gap between those remains and the building that the last sniper was in. There are shrubs blocking the view but there is a nazi back in that little gap that you gotta take out.

Now if I remember right that's all of them. I took them out in this order and had my team survive up to this point. Make sure you make good use of your F5 quick save button. I also did some manual saves along the way just in case I screwed something up with quick save. Good luck thats part A of the course. The second half of the team is just as fun.... you gotta rush in there and take out another sniper to the North or he'll take out the other part of your team that is hiding behind some rocks shooting at German planes as they pass by. In the next section there are six snipers and four regular soldiers to take out. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-24-02, 05:13 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yah, I thoroughly enjoyed the game and am going to start playing it again tomorrow (SP that is).

Multiplayer FFA and Team DM is fun also.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.