Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MOHAA Rocks! (a 30 second review)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 05:17 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shuki
well I'm finally getting somewhere in this *honk* sniper level! It's 100% strategy on which snipers you take out first and in which order. Also, I finished with 5 crew members, wasn't enough couldn't get the objective. You have to have all SIX to go to the next point. And yes they are total idiots that don't know how to just hang back and wait till it's all clear.... So far I've completed two of the three objectives I'm now headin' for the south side of town
Maybe it was just me, but my whole team did not survive.
Spoiler:
I only ended up with the 2 bazooka team guys that were hiding like pansies in the 2nd half of the town map after you go through the wall. Hmm...the first 4 guys I met were killed fairly easily as they wandered out into the open.
Old 01-24-02, 05:23 AM
wiz

Here are some SS's I took of the game if anybody is interested in seeing what it looks like on some of the different levels

In the snow:

In the rain: (also happens to be the sniper mission)

After taking out a bunker
Old 01-24-02, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wiz

Maybe it was just me, but my whole team did not survive.
Spoiler:
I only ended up with the 2 bazooka team guys that were hiding like pansies in the 2nd half of the town map after you go through the wall. Hmm...the first 4 guys I met were killed fairly easily as they wandered out into the open.
so how did you get through the gate? are you playing on 'easy' level? maybe that was the difference? I'm on normal and it would NOT let me through unless all SIX team members were alive. Definitely challenging

what video card are you using? take a look at some of these screens on the Radeon 8500 http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cybershou.../MOHAA&.view=t I don't know how to insert directly here or I'd put one or two directly here.

Last edited by Shuki; 01-24-02 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-24-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Be aware that the game does not support Voodoo3 or Voodoo5. It will play, but the intro movies don't work, which kinda sucks.

I may have to get a GForce 3. I hate to go over to the other side, but I have no choice since the demise of 3DFX. I've gone through the Voodoo1, Voodoo2, Voodoo2 SLI (2 of them), Voodoo Rush, Voodoo3, and the Voodoo5, so it is hard to leave.
Old 01-24-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you considered the Radeon? The only card I had onwed previously was a voodoo3. But I went with the Radeon 8500 over the GeForce Ti200 and so far I'm absolutely loving this card. Just a thought if you haven't already researched it, it might be worth looking into. I think the OEM radeon is about $20 more than the Ti200 (like $160 and $180 respectively).

and yeah, minimum sys. requirements include a 16MB opengl video card with at least directX 7 installed....
Old 01-24-02, 10:13 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Wiz, could you give me the console command for displaying FPS or any site that has console commands for the engine? It's my first experience with the Q3 engine so i don't even know how to bring down the console
--HN
Old 01-24-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HN - first off you have to "check" console in advanced options (or might have been video options). Then load up a game and press the key to the left of 1 on your keyboard. The one with ~ on it. this will bring up the console. Type in fps 1 and it will turn on fps rates. Hit the ~ key again to hide the console. Bring it up again and type fps 0 to hide the fps display again.
Old 01-24-02, 10:23 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Shuki!

(wait, just "fps 1", no need for underbar or anything?--i'm too used to the Half Life commands)

--HN
Old 01-24-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no need for underbar. just "fps 1"
Old 01-24-02, 10:55 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Roger that

hey, thought you might find this interesting, some mods for MOHAA

http://mods.mohmatch.com/downloads/modarchive/index.php

I use the M477 Blood splat patch (so i can confirm a hit easier) and am going to try the Omaha Beach CO-OP Mod this weekend with a buddy of mine. both are on the list on the far right under "recent files."

--HN
Old 01-24-02, 02:55 PM
Suspended

While we're swapping hints and tips and whatnot, here's a tidbit for you. Want a quick and easy way to bypass the EA logo and the start-up movies. Just delete (or rename) the files in the C:\Program Files\EA Games\MOHAA\main\video folder - assuming a standard install.

Poof! no intro!
Old 01-25-02, 06:43 AM
wiz

so how did you get through the gate? are you playing on 'easy' level? maybe that was the difference? I'm on normal and it would NOT let me through unless all SIX team members were alive. Definitely challenging

what video card are you using? take a look at some of these screens on the Radeon 8500 http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cybershou.../MOHAA&.view=t I don't know how to insert directly here or I'd put one or two directly here.
I grabbed the bazooka (the rocket launcher) from the room above the gate and blasted the gate open. I am playing on medium (or I was) and had no problems moving through there. It was the mission after this that you can't lose too many team members, at least per my experience.

As for a Videocard, GeForce2 Ultra here. I am supposed to be trading it for a Radeon 8500 with my friend (he needs the GF2 to go in a linux box at work instead of the Radeon) so I'm looking forward to that. Nice pics.
Old 01-25-02, 06:45 AM
wiz

Originally posted by El-Kabong
While we're swapping hints and tips and whatnot, here's a tidbit for you. Want a quick and easy way to bypass the EA logo and the start-up movies. Just delete (or rename) the files in the C:\Program Files\EA Games\MOHAA\main\video folder - assuming a standard install.

Poof! no intro!
Or, you can just go into your shortcut for the game and add "+set developer 1" after the path to the game and it'll load you right up.
Old 01-25-02, 06:48 AM
wiz

Also, now that I'm thinking about it. If you know what your monitors refresh rate is at the resolution you're playing in (I play at 1024x768) and you don't think the OS Is setting your monitor to the right refresh rate, but instead defaulting to 60 hz (like mine does), then you can set the refresh rate manually from the console. Just type this at the console: "r_displayrefresh 85" or whatever hz you want your monitor refresh rate to be at. You can go into your desktop settings for the resolution you play at and look at the monitor tab under Advanced and see what the max refresh rate for your monitor is. I suggest doing this so you won't get any monitor slowdowns (which I got when it was at 60 hz). Cheers.
Old 01-25-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the refresh rate fix Wiz!! e-mail me or something when you get the r8500 and I might be able to help with some driver advice. What OS are you running?
Old 01-27-02, 05:06 AM
wiz

Thanks for the refresh rate fix Wiz!! e-mail me or something when you get the r8500 and I might be able to help with some driver advice. What OS are you running?
Win2k Pro. If I ever get the 8500 I'll let you know how it works. I have a buddy here that has an 8500 and runs win2k and will steer me in the right direction thank goodness. This will be my first non Nvidia card.
Old 01-27-02, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went from voodoo3 up to the radeon. I have never owned an nvidia card so I don't have anything to compare the radeon to. A lot of people are complaining about the drivers (or lack of them) but since I got my card a month ago there have been three beta driver leaks (9005, 9008, 9012). They just posted a new win2k leak too (6018) two days ago. But like I said, I've never had nvidia or their drivers (or dirver releases) so I don't have much to compare with but so far I couldn't be happier with my R200 Hope yours works out well for you too!! Good Luck!
Old 01-28-02, 04:18 AM
wiz

That's been one of the best things about having an Nvidia card, their Detonator drivers are always very good and give you a nice boost of performance when you upgrade to the newest ones, not to mention that they come out in a timely manner also. It's good to see ATI has finally gotten on the ball and are releasing a good driver for their product.
Old 02-01-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got through the Sniper level of this game yesterday, and yes, it is a pain in the butt... BUT! You do NOT have to have any of the first set of soldiers survive... the ones you run into before the gate. To get past the gate, you just need to find the bazooka team (which is dead) take the bazooka, and blow open the gate. The hard part of this is there are just snipers everywhere, that are deadly shots, and some are really hard to find. Once you do get past the gate though, the rest of the level isnt terribly hard. You'll run into your tank crew, who has a medic that can heal you every so often, and they do a fairly decent job of hanging back while you kill off the enemy (and they help out in a firefight too when you need them).

The level right after this one is insanely fun! You get to drive a king tiger tank, and blow up some buildings and tanks and 88's

Brian
Old 03-07-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wiz

Or, you can just go into your shortcut for the game and add "+set developer 1" after the path to the game and it'll load you right up.
Hey Wiz, I can't get that to work! Here's what I have in my shortcut properties. Target = "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\MOHAA.exe +set developer 1" It won't let my apply that. Says it doesn't exist. Could you (or someone) help???
Old 03-07-02, 02:30 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

try this instead:

+set cl_playintro 0

so you'd have "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\MOHAA.exe +set cl_playintro 0"

--HN
Old 03-07-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

both gives me this error:

the name "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\MOHAA.exe +set cl_playintro 0" specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and filename are correct.

So I just deleted the video folder in mohaa\main\video Still wish I could learn hot to fix the shortcut though....
Old 03-07-02, 10:18 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if the location of the quotations matter?

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\MOHAA.exe" +set cl_playintro 0

--HN
Old 03-07-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

:THUMBS UP:

moving the quotes did the trick

thanks again HN!!