Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Monkey Target Help Needed (Super Monkey Ball)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-15-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What am I doing wrong ?

I push the stick foward to roll down the hill then press A to open the ball and then pull back on the stick to keep him up in the air.

But most of the time I fall way short of any targets.
Old 01-15-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulling back on the stick maintains your altitude but slows you down; pushing forward does the opposite. Try alternating the two motions.
Old 01-15-02, 01:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There are few good ways to enough speed up to make it to the targets. The best way is to open your ball at the highest point possible after you jump off the ramp...after trying it a few times it becomes easy. If for some reason you start running out of steam headed for a target, do a nose dive until your speed is back up, and then pull up...you can keep going for quite a while this way. Finally...use the wind: it'll give you a lot of extra distance and speed as well.
Old 01-15-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys !

Old 01-15-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, remember to compensate for the wind. If you've got a 15mph wind blowing straight at you you're gonna slow down pretty quickly. If you want to get lots of points, try to land on one of those little yellow posts out in the middle of the water. You'll need the magnet ball power up to do it, but it will get you 500 points(if I remember right).

I had a friend come over and he got his monkey travelling at about 230mph a couple of times by jumping off the ramp before he even got to the bottom. I'm not exactly sure how he did it.
Old 01-15-02, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
Pulling back on the stick maintains your altitude but slows you down; pushing forward does the opposite. Try alternating the two motions.
You don't really need to alternate.... just don't push up or down and the monkey will float along for a long time.
Old 01-15-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I usually let the ball start to come down after reaching it's peak, then I open the ball. I get pretty far that way.
Don't you just love the 3x item!

Neitzl
Old 01-15-02, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Ghym
If you want to get lots of points, try to land on one of those little yellow posts out in the middle of the water. You'll need the magnet ball power up to do it, but it will get you 500 points(if I remember right).
Heh. Actually if you've got enough wind and you come in at the right angle you don't need the magnet ball to land the 500. (That's where the 3x item really comes into play )
Old 01-15-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Target mode was the bane of my existence for a weekend ... thank god it wasn't my GC or still be playing it. My best was a total of 45 points after 10 attempts Yet the single player game was a virtual breeze
Old 01-16-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by larryw

Heh. Actually if you've got enough wind and you come in at the right angle you don't need the magnet ball to land the 500. (That's where the 3x item really comes into play )
Yea, but I'm not that good.
Old 01-16-02, 10:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by BigPete
Yet the single player game was a virtual breeze
Even on Expert?
Old 01-16-02, 05:31 PM

If you want maximum velocity, allow your ball to go up and then drop down until a moment before you'd hit the water and you'll be able to get well over 200 kph. You can fly around for quite a while.
Old 01-17-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Soybean
If you want maximum velocity, allow your ball to go up and then drop down until a moment before you'd hit the water and you'll be able to get well over 200 kph. You can fly around for quite a while.
Do you mean right after takeoff ?
Old 01-17-02, 10:07 AM

Not right after. Have your monkey roll down the ramp, fly off the incline, go up to the peak of his climb, then allow the monkey to start dropping toward the water. A few seconds before you'd actually hit the water, hit A to open and that crazy monkey will be flying at 230 kph easily!

Of course, I don't really recommend using MAXIMUM velocity so you may want to let your monkey out earlier. At that high speed it's pretty tough to hit bananas and you have to fly around a bit before you're slow enough to hit a target. But I like using this technique sometimes to get enough bananas to get the powerup I want.

Last edited by Soybean; 01-17-02 at 10:09 AM.