Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Worst delay ever? Perfect Dark Zero.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worst delay ever? Perfect Dark Zero.

PD0 delayed?

Am I the only one really pissed about this?
Old 01-14-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as long as they make the game incredible, i don't mind. there are plenty of awsome games coming out for the cube. i'd rather them take their time and do an amazing job.

so, in short, i'm more disappointed than pissed about it. disappointed that i can't play it sooner, but i'd rather they not rush it if it truly isn't ready.
Old 01-14-02, 11:06 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm slightly pissed. This was 1 of the 2 reasons I was going to own a Gamecube. The other being a new Conker game.

But I am already spending anough money on video games this year, as it is, so I don't really mind waiting.
Old 01-14-02, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is pretty much par for the course for Rare. It seemed like the first Perfect Dark took forever to come out. Ditto Conker. Of course, the flip side of this is that this is why their games are so great...they focus on making a great product rather than pumping out titles as quickly as possible.

I just hope that we still see Dinosaur Planet from them in the next few months. I've been waiting for that one since it was announced for the N64!
Old 01-14-02, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by huh?
as long as they make the game incredible, i don't mind. there are plenty of awsome games coming out for the cube. i'd rather them take their time and do an amazing job.

so, in short, i'm more disappointed than pissed about it. disappointed that i can't play it sooner, but i'd rather they not rush it if it truly isn't ready.
Oh I've heard that before and said it myself a few times, but according to this article, they're not delaying it to put more into it or increase the quality of the game. They are just not working aggressively on it and having internal issues.

Just think of how many fans that were ready to buy a cube next year for this game are going to say, well, maybe I'll buy one in 2004 now. By then it'll be near the end of the life of the system.
Remember how Conker failed to generate strong sales or spark interest for adult gamers. Why? because it came to late!
Old 01-14-02, 12:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea

Just think of how many fans that were ready to buy a cube next year for this game are going to say, well, maybe I'll buy one in 2004 now. By then it'll be near the end of the life of the system.

The Gamecube has an estimated 5-year lifecycle. 2004 will be in the middle of that cycle, not near the end.

Remember how Conker failed to generate strong sales or spark interest for adult gamers. Why? because it came to late!
You're right that the game came out a bit too late, but it did sell pretty well considering. Although I would argue that it was aimed at adolescents more than adults.

Also, the Gamecube is not the N64. Nintendo is courting 3rd party developers to make sure they get more "Mature" games in their library this time around. By the time 2004 rolls around there will be several more games with this rating than when Conker was introduced for the N64, with Eternal Darkness and the Resident Evil series leading the pack.
Old 01-14-02, 12:20 PM

with the way people flock to the newer technology now, I doubt any console will have a 5 year stay. Playstation2 maybe.
Old 01-14-02, 12:25 PM
Retired

I'm not really dissapointed as I was expecting this. Rare always delays games, and I had seen rumors for several months that they weren't even really working on it. It sucks that Rare takes so long to develop games, but they are always worth the wait as I've never been dissapointed by one of their games. And the Gamecube will be around for 5 years. The N64 came out in 1996 and it lasted 5 years. Albeit it was really only supported by Nintendo. At least we know they will stand by their console until the end, unlike Sega.
Old 01-14-02, 02:11 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by joshhinkle
At least we know they will stand by their console until the end, unlike Sega.
Sega didn't have a choice. It was a business decision, pure and simple. Either they change into a 3rd party software company or they continue to lose vast quantities of money by supporting their hardware.

Supporting the hardware meant the widespread piracy of Sega games would continue. Sega had to get out in order to start making money on their software.

Nintendo didn't have that problem.
Old 01-14-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

argh! Oh well, as you guys said Rare always delays their titles, I think they're second to Nintendo for being the worst at that . Goldeneye and PD are the only FPS games I have liked, but I wasn't "that" excited about this one because I'm more excited about Star Fox Adventures with those new screenshots they released. It might also be because I haven't seen any screens or video since the first one they showed of perfect dark zero. The slow progress could mean that they're working on a new kind of game thats similar to PD but not exactly PD.

I remember Diddy Kong Racing came out as a surprise title out of nowhere because they kept it under wraps pretty tight. Might be the same for this one. Personally I hope they take their time to develop it and aren't rushed, and make it awesome like they've done with their other games.
Old 01-14-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Fox and Eternal Darkness were delayed last week. I am not happy.

http://cube.ign.com/news/40700.html