Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Reminder about Console Bashing - DON'T DO IT!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reminder about Console Bashing - DON'T DO IT!

Old 03-15-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as someone who has owned most of the consoles out there it is fair to say that some of them do in fact suck royally. but hey, this isn't a public forum so i guess i'll have to keep my opinions to myself. rules is rules.
Old 04-09-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the bottom line is that this forum is for video game discussions. If you think a game or console sucks, fine, but try and give reasons to back that up which could possibly lead to a fruitful discussion.

...and I had such a long, thoughtful, witty response to the thread but didn't post it until after it was moved. Oh well.
Old 04-10-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Anime_Guy
Like I said I dont plan on breaking them because im not that sorta person
Famous last words.
[BANNED]
Old 04-14-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow I would have never thought of those clever names... but I love all those consoles anyways
Old 04-24-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
Seriously, before opening this thread and reading Geoff's post, I thought Geoff was making a joke about literally beating your console...
The only time I could see console "bashing" as a good thing would be for stress relief, Office Space-style. Then again, I can't see a situation where one would want to do that. Hours and hours of playtesting can't be that bad.
Old 05-17-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi,

this is my first time at this particular board, even though I do post at dvdtalk all the time. I still dont have the new systems, still have the old PSX one, as I still have many games I still havent completed (HOSHIGAMI, DRACULA, KOULDELKA). Been thinking of buying PSX 2 for 2 reason !) kmart had some incredible prices on PSX 2 games, so I bought the games, need the sytem, 2) the price just dropped to 199.99.

Having been a long time fan of PSX one, maybe I can put a imput on why all the name calling .(this is just a analization). When N64 was fighting out with PSX, after saturn bit the dust, I remember going to yahoo chat, or game message boards. I noticed that the N64 fans always bashed the PSX fans, usually the "my system had better games than you" or "IGGYS WRESCKING BALL outsold METAL GEA"!

Then I came to a conclusionon the other board years ago, again I dont know the situation here, just a analization) nintendo 64 fans were more likely bitter because they were raised by their parent to trust nintendo, for the parents grew up with it, also nintendo games appeal to the young more, thus the childish behavior, also perhaps they were upset the parents bought nintendo64 instead of psx, so since they got stucked with a system that caters to racing games (i worked at eb's, n64 had tons of overpriced racing games!).

Again, perhaps the appeal of the system will attract certain demographics, thus a bickering will occur. Again, hope you dont view this as a put down, just a analyzation.
Old 05-17-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by salamander2

Then I came to a conclusionon the other board years ago, again I dont know the situation here, just a analization) nintendo 64 fans were more likely bitter because they were raised by their parent to trust nintendo, for the parents grew up with it, also nintendo games appeal to the young more, thus the childish behavior, also perhaps they were upset the parents bought nintendo64 instead of psx, so since they got stucked with a system that caters to racing games (i worked at eb's, n64 had tons of overpriced racing games!).

Old 05-31-02, 05:24 AM

Hi, my first post to the board, I don't know if I'd agree with Salamander2's 'analization' above but if I have an opinion I'd like to be able to express it.
I played a demo version of a new console game in a game shop and I was not impressed with the game or the controller, I'd reserve judgement on the console itself as I have only played two or three games at it.
Still, I have an opinion, do I have to take it elsewhere?
Old 05-31-02, 09:54 AM
Retired

Originally posted by halcyonicity

Still, I have an opinion, do I have to take it elsewhere?
Opinions, positive and negative, are welcome here. Just make sure you express it intelligently. You are certainly free to say you're not impressed with one of the systems and/or it's games.
If you say why you don' t like a system, and the reason in valid, the post will have no problems. The problem is immature comments, with no discussion at all, like "PS2 Sucks", "X-box Rox", and what not

The rule brought up in this post is more aimed at the immature system bashing you see on many boards where gamers just
bash whatever systems they don't own every chance they get.

However, if you want to post your opinion, be sure to do a search and find a thread discussing the systems or which ones to buy. Duplicate threads are frowned upon, and there have been several of these type of threads posted since the price drops.
Old 06-13-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could we bash the CD-i? Now that was a crappy system.

Last edited by ChrisKnudsen; 07-25-02 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
Could we bash the 3D-i? Now that was a crappy system.

Do you mean 3DO or CD-i. They are two seperate systems. The Cd-i was never much more than a movie and information machine and the 3DO did have some pretty good titles, but never enough to really make an impact. The CD-i did pretty much suck, but I enjoyed the 3DO and games like Star Control II, Return Fire, Captain Quasar, Lost Files of Shelock Holmes, etc.
Old 07-02-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by salamander2
I dont know the situation here, just a analization

Didnt catch that til halcyonicity pointed it out.
Old 07-25-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I meant the cd-i. The 3do did blow for the most part too but I always wanted to play that fireman game where an airplane crashes into the sears tower. He featured music from Devo and had some B-movie actors in it. What was the name of that game? I don't think it even came out.
Old 08-20-02, 11:44 PM
Banned

Re: Reminder about Console Bashing - DON'T DO IT!

Originally posted by gkleinman
I hate to have to act like someone parent here, but I've seen a lot of really poor behaviour here in the last week and it's going to stop!
I didn't know you're Canadian ...

Old 09-04-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
I meant the cd-i. The 3do did blow for the most part too but I always wanted to play that fireman game where an airplane crashes into the sears tower. He featured music from Devo and had some B-movie actors in it. What was the name of that game? I don't think it even came out.
I remeber hearing about that game.
Old 10-01-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger:
First of all - let's drop this because it's just going to steer this thread off topic more. I don't think the Xbox or the controller is too big, so that must be a personal issue - it's smaller than the N64 controller. I know that GC owners get offended by such a comment - I've always understood that they do. I even stated that we shouldn't make fun of either console. Don't try to make me out like some sort of closed minded freak who can't understand simple concepts. What you're proposing is that it's okay to make fun of the Xbox because it's large (which is somewhat of a subjective issue) while it's not okay to make fun of the GC because it puts out games for kids (which is also somewhat of a subjective issue)... that's a double standard and neither is okay. Ask a moderator if it's okay.
I'm saying that in the grand scheme of things, making a joke about the size of the Xbox is less insulting than making a joke about kiddy gamers on the GC. Though of course neither is terribly insulting, you were the one railing against the jokes about the size of the Xbox, and then later in the thread making a subtle jab at GC gamers.

What I don't understand is why we're able to make scathing comments about people in Other, yet flame wars erupt over console comments. Sure I've gotten into my share of arguments in here, but nothing that would come close to attacking another member. I still think swift suspensions to those that fail at self control is better than this draconian policy, understandable though it may be.
Old 10-01-02, 05:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

It'd be nice if we could joke about stuff here. But it seems to me that people blow the smallest perceived slight to anyone or any console way out of proportion. So either we need to stop making fun of things altogether, or be responsible adults and instead of erupting at certain comments, reporting them to a moderator and ignoring them. Not everyone has been good about the latter, though.
Old 10-02-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I know. I guess my post didn't really have a point, just expressing my ire that the world isn't as I want it to be. Waaah.
Old 10-02-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Aghama
I'm saying that in the grand scheme of things, making a joke about the size of the Xbox is less insulting than making a joke about kiddy gamers on the GC. Though of course neither is terribly insulting, you were the one railing against the jokes about the size of the Xbox, and then later in the thread making a subtle jab at GC gamers.

What I don't understand is why we're able to make scathing comments about people in Other, yet flame wars erupt over console comments. Sure I've gotten into my share of arguments in here, but nothing that would come close to attacking another member. I still think swift suspensions to those that fail at self control is better than this draconian policy, understandable though it may be.
I actually let alot of Xbox jokes go without saying anything and only said something when it was steering the topic off course. I don't know what subtle jab you're talking about, but my point is - if it's not okay to make fun of Norman, we shouldn't be able to make fun of Melvin and vice versa. I understand that you think size is less insulting than age or whatever - I just don't think that makes one okay and the other not. I'd personally rather we were all allowed to clown on all the systems... then the people who are too fanatical about it would get into personal attacks and they would end up banned and then the forum would be at peace again. But the world isn't the way I want it either... waaah
Old 10-03-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

was someone clowning on my system

actually I do think that the do not bash a console has turned in to a do not say anything. Many are ok and seem to be able to take things in stride.

I really do not care that many act like the only good looking game can only be produced on the XBox. so what they like their system and think that the games look better across the board on it.

how does that effect me and my game playing on the PS2?? It does not so I really have never responded to those comments. are they bashing- to me no. to someone else maybe.

I think that many of us are willing to participate in discussions when we disagree. It does not bother me if someone disagrees with my opinions on buyouts- some like them others do not.

I would hope that having a little fun and expressing opinions would be tolerated by everyone.

sometimes we disagree but that is ok

Now we need to know will we all agree on this
Old 10-08-02, 09:24 PM

I am 13 and i have all three systems and XBOX is my favorite just because it is so real and the main reason, you guessed it HALO:COMBAT EVOLVED. Many people say xbox gets boring after a while, well play on deffierent difficulties and with your friends, with those in mind the replay value is unlimited.
Old 10-15-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Xbox is still really really big.
Old 10-19-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And heavy.
Old 10-19-02, 05:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Okay, ha ha, the XBox is "OMGWTFBBQ SO BIG ROFLOLOLOL!!!!!11" We get it. Let's move on, please.
Old 10-20-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I added "heavy" because I had to the lug the damn_thing to my car yesterday from EB.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.