Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX controllers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-01, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX controllers??

I like XBOX a lot, but the controlers are just bad. I heard the the Japanesse controller were smaller and better. Is the any way or anywhere you can buy them??

Thanks.
Old 12-06-01, 04:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Do you have small hands? I have bigger hands and I adore this controller. My hand never gets tired even after I play for hours! Very ergonomic. What don't you like about them?

PS. They are releasing the Japanese controller in a few months.
Old 12-06-01, 06:10 PM

We've got a couple of the Japanese controllers floating around in the office, and personally I really like the layout, but I find them too small.

But I have big hands.

The really nice thing is the A, B, X, and Y buttons are embossed. Makes for a much better tactile feel.

-Naan
Old 12-06-01, 07:41 PM

I love the controller too and I dont consider myself to have big hands, Love the button configuration, the control in Halo is great.
Old 12-06-01, 07:52 PM

My hands aren't really all that small, but not huge, considering I'm only 15. I think the XBOX controllers aren't really something you get used to right away. When I first got Dreamcast the controler felt weird, but now it's grown on me and I love it. The XBOX controler just felt....ummm not right to be vague, It felt almost too spread out in my hands. Maybe I'll grow to love it though .
Old 12-06-01, 10:40 PM

I have small to medium size hands. The Xbox controller is great for games like Halo and PGR but for football games it is absolutely atrocious in my opinion. The buttons are way too close together for quickly hitting different ones over and over.
I have the MadCatz Pro and I LOVE the button layout of it. The only problem is that the rumble feedback is a little wacky with PGR.

I also have the Pelican controller. This one feels very good but the buttons don't feel quite as good as that of the MadCatz controller.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I was at either Circuit City or Best Buy and they had these controllers with a macro button that would record a series of button presses and then assign it to a button or whatever - I wouldn't use that feature myself, but the controllers seemed to be smaller than the standard controller. I plan to buy one if I get an x-box.
Old 12-07-01, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I was at either Circuit City or Best Buy and they had these controllers with a macro button that would record a series of button presses and then assign it to a button or whatever - I wouldn't use that feature myself, but the controllers seemed to be smaller than the standard controller. I plan to buy one if I get an x-box.
I believe that's the MadCatz controller.
Old 12-07-01, 03:52 AM

I think the controllers are "fine".. about on par with the PS2 controller, and definitely better than the Gamecube controller. The gamecube controller is too small, too light/cheap-feeling, and doesn't have enough useful buttons (presumably because little kids will be confused by all the buttons). The PS2 controller is pretty solid, and I can see different reasons why the PS2 or Xbox controller is better than the other. Overall, though, the Xbox controller is well-made... but, like everything else about the Xbox, people are immediately biased against it simply because it's made by Microsoft. People who never seriously used the controller before talk trash about it, which is kind of annoying. ..and if you really don't like it, buy a 3rd party controller.
Old 12-07-01, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by brygx
I think the controllers are "fine".. about on par with the PS2 controller, and definitely better than the Gamecube controller. The gamecube controller is too small, too light/cheap-feeling, and doesn't have enough useful buttons (presumably because little kids will be confused by all the buttons). The PS2 controller is pretty solid, and I can see different reasons why the PS2 or Xbox controller is better than the other. Overall, though, the Xbox controller is well-made... but, like everything else about the Xbox, people are immediately biased against it simply because it's made by Microsoft. People who never seriously used the controller before talk trash about it, which is kind of annoying. ..and if you really don't like it, buy a 3rd party controller.
As a guy with pretty big hands (i can palm a bball) xbox controller feels just right. The other controls put a strain on the hands after a few hrs of game play. I'm not sure how pple w/ smaller hands feel about the control but it seems to be more comfortable on the bigger hands.
Old 12-07-01, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My hands are small but I have no issues with the XBOX controller. Are there specific games where it comes into play?
Old 12-07-01, 11:39 AM

Sigh all you small handed people.
I have the trio big hands big feet big ....
Old 12-07-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Xbox question?

Why do you need a Memory Card if you have a HD, I dont have one yet, I was just wondering why?
Old 12-07-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Xbox question?

Originally posted by Slug
Why do you need a Memory Card if you have a HD, I dont have one yet, I was just wondering why?
you can save on the hd or mem card. saving on the mem card allows you to take said data over to a friends house to play. beyond that i dont know of other reasons
Old 12-07-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i don't have a problem with the size of the xbox controller just the controller itself. I don't like how some of the buttons are pre-programmed. example: playin mad dash i hate how you have to hold the analog fwd to run. maybe the analog is too far away from my thumb but it hurts like hell at the end of the race. how bout fwd/bckwd being the trigger buttons instead like in most racing games. also when playin doa 3 i think the buttons are too close together IMO. a little bit more space between (like the dc controller) and how the top and bottom you can never hit them at the same time casue the left and right are too close in the middle. (i hope that makes sense) if any 2d fighting games get ported on the xbox the controller will be a pain to use
Old 12-07-01, 12:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like the Xbox controller quite a bit, except for the a/b/x/y buttons. They are too small and hard to distinguish in the middle of play. My favorite controller is the Gamecube one, but even that's not perfect.
Old 12-07-01, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The x-box controllers are also 39.99! You could get a game for that much. Why is everything for the x-box so expensive?
Old 12-07-01, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by mmconhea
The x-box controllers are also 39.99! You could get a game for that much. Why is everything for the x-box so expensive?
GCN controller's are $30, so they have been more expensive in this generation.
Old 12-08-01, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by mmconhea
My guess is because the hardware was too expensive.

It makes sense.
They couldn't possibly sell the console for what it really costs (the components in the XBOX are expensive). So, it was either sell the XBOX for (and I'm purely speculating here) $450 or sell it cheaper and jack-up the price on the accessories/games. Afterall, if you've got the console, you're going to want to play it so you'll have to buy games, extra controllers, etc.
Old 12-08-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Centurion
My guess is because the hardware was too expensive.

It makes sense.
They couldn't possibly sell the console for what it really costs (the components in the XBOX are expensive). So, it was either sell the XBOX for (and I'm purely speculating here) $450 or sell it cheaper and jack-up the price on the accessories/games. Afterall, if you've got the console, you're going to want to play it so you'll have to buy games, extra controllers, etc.
Centurion,

you're right on the money... see the following article from lik-sang:

(28) Microsoft Xbox - Piracy stops Xbox in China

Microsoft's Xbox gaming console will not be sold in Hong Kong or China for the foreseeable future due to the rampant piracy problem in the region.

The company is selling the actual hardware at a loss - as much as $125 per box, according to Merrill Lynch - and plans to recoup profits on its software titles, much like the razor blade or printer cartridge industry.

As pirated software in many Asian regions is so widespread, it doesn't make much business sense to sell there, a Microsoft source told the South China Morning Post.

As for the official line, a Microsoft spokesperson says no date has been set for those countries, saying that in a country like China, "consumer demand for PCs and other hardware products is still quite small, compared with the professional market".

A visit to the console's official site appears to confirm this, with dates set for most global regions including Europe, Japan and Australia, but no mention of China or other Asian countries.

Of course, MS consoles (and their pirated titles) will almost surely be available on the gray market.